Why do roses turn yellow: the main causes and methods for eliminating them
Rosa is a capricious culture that reacts sharply to errors in care, disease, or attack by insect pests. Any of these factors causes a change in the appearance of the plant. Most often, flower growers are faced with a situation where the leaves turn yellow in a rose. It is necessary to find out the cause and help the plant at an early stage, otherwise the bush may die.
Why the leaves of roses turn yellow: the main reasons
Before you struggle with the desire for leaves in roses, you need to find out its cause
Sudden yellowing of leaves on bushes of garden or indoor roses is a common problem. The reasons for this are diverse.
All types and types of garden roses
Micronutrient deficiency in the soil, where roses grow, most often occurs due to the high content of sand
Yellowing garden crops in the fall is a natural process of preparing the plant for winter, and you should not worry about this. But if the bush began to change color during the period of active vegetation, then one of the problems touched it:Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
- The lack of trace elements in the soil. With nitrogen deficiency, the leaves first turn pale, and then completely yellow and fall off. A lack of potassium and manganese causes a discoloration of the lower leaves along the edges. Magnesium deficiency is expressed in the yellowing of the center of the leaf, while the edges remain green.
- Lack of sunshine. A plot for growing roses is chosen in an open or slightly shaded place. If you plant bushes in the shade, the processes of photosynthesis in the leaves are disrupted.
- Wrong watering. Rare or scanty moistening of rose bushes leads to drying out of the root system, resulting in a lack of nutrition.
- The disease. The defeat of various infections first causes spots on the leaves, and then their yellowing and death. The cause may be black spotting, sphaceloma, root cancer, rot.
- Pests. Sucking insects deprive the plant tissue of juices, so the leaves lose their natural color and dry out prematurely. The most common and dangerous enemies of garden roses: aphids, spider mites, thrips, greenhouse whiteflies, rose cicadas.
- A sharp cooling after the heat. Temperature changes cause stress even in frost-resistant varieties. In this case, it is better for the gardener to keep on hand agrofibre to shelter the bushes.
Diseases that cause yellowing of leaves in indoor roses are usually caused by improper care of plants.
Many of the causes of yellowing of indoor roses are similar to garden varieties. This may be a lack of light, defeat by pests or diseases and lack of nutrition. There are also specific factors:
- Incorrect transplant. A common mistake of inexperienced gardeners is to carry out the procedure immediately after buying the plant. Rosa needs to be given time to adapt to the microclimate of the new room. Soil and pot replacement is best done 2 weeks after purchase. The cause of yellowing can also be damage to the roots during transplantation with careless handling.
- Poor soil. Rose bushes often turn yellow due to the increased acidity of the soil.
- Illiterate watering. Rosa is too wet and drying out the soil. From a lack of water, the roots die off and cease to nourish the leaves. Excess water leads to decay.
- Dry indoor air. Miniature bushes of home roses need an increased level of humidity in the room.
- Drafts. The heat-loving plant freezes during the ventilation of the room. especially when located under the window in winter. Most often, a tropical Chinese rose suffers from hypothermia.
- Sunburn. The problem concerns plants located on the southern windows.
Ways to solve problems depending on the reasons
The greatest danger for roses is black spotting, which first appears as yellow spots (in advanced cases, it is already impossible to save the plant), so it’s easier to prevent troubles
It will not be possible to cure yellowed foliage on garden and indoor roses, therefore, in order to maintain the appearance of the bush, it will have to be cut. Removal of infected parts is also necessary to prevent the spread of infection or pests. To suspend the further development of the problem with a timely response is possible in the following ways:
- Top dressing with special balanced fertilizers. If the lack of a specific microelement is precisely clarified, it is preferable to introduce this particular substance.
- Irrigation regulation. Indoor plants are moistened after drying of the top layer of soil by 2-3 cm. Garden bushes are watered every 7-10 days, each spend 1-2 buckets of water.
- Protection against diseases. Prevention of reproduction on the bushes of fungi and bacteria helps preventive treatment with drugs Skor, Ordan, Topaz, Strobi, Raxil.
- Pest control. Insects need to be destroyed at the first sign of their appearance on the bushes. Roses are sprayed with Actellik, Aktara, Alatar, Iskra, Inta-Vir preparations. In the early stages, washing the foliage with a soapy solution helps.
- Increased moisture in the room. If indoor roses suffer from dry air, automatic humidifiers are installed in the room, artificial fountains are made, and open containers with water are placed. Experienced flower growers advise to place pots with plants on pallets with expanded clay filled with water during heating or during hot summers.
Under inappropriate conditions, a room rose quickly begins to turn yellow
After fixing the problem, the bush needs to help restore strength. For resuscitation, use the following scheme:
- Bushes are watered with Zircon (1 ampoule per 10 liters).
- After 3 days, the foliage is sprayed with Epin (10 drops per 1 liter of water).
- After 2 weeks, the plant is fed with potassium humate.
Analysis of the causes of yellowing of the leaves and timely assistance to the plant will help prevent the death of bushes. If everything is done correctly, the rose will recover and continue to delight the owner with luxurious flowering.