Why cherries without cherries and what to do about it
Cherry is one of the most common crops traditionally grown in central Russia, as well as in the southern regions. Unfortunately, the flowering tree is not always happy with the harvest. This can happen for various reasons.
Why cherry does not bear fruit: causes and solutions
Usually, with proper planting and favorable conditions, cherries begin to bloom and bear fruit in the 3-4th year. If this does not happen after 4–5 years, several reasons are possible:
- Incorrect landing location:
- In the shadow. Cherry loves the sun, so if it is not enough, it does not bloom . Perhaps in a few years, when the tree grows and its upper tiers come out of the shade, the problem will be solved by itself. But it is better to take a more responsible approach to choosing a seat when landing.
- On acidic soils. Cherries love light, sandy loamy soil with acidity close to neutral. If the reason is unsuitable soil, you need to deoxidize it with slaked lime (0.6–0.7 kg / m2) or dolomite flour (0.5–0.6 kg / m2).
- Frosts. Usually this is a problem in the more northern regions, but it also occurs in the middle lane, including in the suburbs. It is necessary to choose more winter-hardy varieties so that their buds do not freeze . For instance:
- Beauty of the North;
- Podbelskaya et al.
- Lack of nutrition. Perhaps, during planting, a sufficient amount of nutrients was not laid, and they were also missed during the growth process . The way out is to make adequate dressing:
- In the spring, before flowering, nitrogen is added in a rapidly digestible form. For example, 25 g of ammonium nitrate per 10 liters of water, per 1 m2 of the trunk circle.
- During flowering, humus or compost (5 kg per tree) is added, the trunk circle is shed well with water first.
- In the middle of summer, they feed again with nitrate and 2-3 times per summer with compost or humus (5 kg each).
- By the end of summer, foliar top dressing (spraying) is used with microelements.
- In the fall, superphosphate is added at a rate of 40-50 g / m2 for digging.
- Diseases (coccomycosis, moniliosis, kleasterosporiosis). A tree weakened by the disease will most likely not bloom . The way out also follows from the reason - you need to cure the cherry from the identified disease.
Photo gallery: cherry diseases that prevent fruiting
- With coccomycosis, the tree may not bloom
- Moniliosis can cause a lack of cherry harvest
- Kleasterosporiosis also interferes with the formation of fruits
What to do if cherry blossoms and no berries
A more common situation is as follows. Spring comes, cherry blossoms, and as a result, the ovaries do not form or crumble. Possible options:
- lack of pollinator;
- adverse weather conditions.
In most cases, the crop after flowering is not formed due to the lack of pollinator . This happens when trees of the same variety are planted on the site, and self-infertile. Since cherry refers to cross-pollinated plants, it needs pollinators. At a distance of up to 40 m you need to plant varieties that will be pollinators (Vladimirskaya, Lyubskaya, etc.), and they must bloom at the same time as the pollinated ones.
Even with abundant flowering, the cherry harvest may not be
It is also worth giving preference to self-pollinated varieties of cherries, for example:
- Chocolate girl;
- Cinderella et al.
It is necessary to attract bees to the plot; for this, it is possible to spray the plants with a sugar solution during flowering (20–25 g per 1 liter of water or 1 tbsp. Honey per 1 liter of water).Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
To improve the formation of ovaries, they process the cherry with a 0.2% solution of boric acid or with the preparations Bud, Ovary, etc.
There will be no harvest under the following weather-related circumstances:
- The cherry blossomed, and the air temperature dropped significantly. The activity of pollinating insects is also reduced.
- Flower buds froze.
To avoid the harmful effects of frost, you can delay the flowering of cherries, pouring more snow into the trunk circle in early spring and mulch it. If, during flowering, the air temperature begins to drop, you need to water the trees well in the evening, and also throw cover material on them.
Is there a dependence on the region
The reasons for the delay or lack of fruiting of cherries are almost the same for all regions, so the solutions to the problems are the same. The only difference between the more northern regions (including the Moscow Region) is the frequent freezing out of swollen buds, which is unusual for the southern territories.
Video: why the cherry blossoms, but there is no crop
The right choice of a place for planting, the composition and acidity of the soil, the presence of pollinating neighbors, the variety's suitability for your region is the ABC of laying a cherry orchard. Timely top dressing and disease prevention will also help to make sure that the tree not only bloomed, but also pleased with plentiful harvests.