Toy - cherry-cherry hybrid
Crossing cherries and cherries usually gives positive results. Over the past centuries, breeders of Europe and the CIS countries have successfully received new varieties of cherry-cherry hybrids. They usually inherit the best features from parent plants. No exception and cherry toy. Due to its high consumer qualities, the variety is popular with gardeners.
Description cherries varieties Toy
The toy is actually not really a cherry - it is a hybrid of cherries and cherries. Created it in Ukraine, at the Institute of Irrigated Horticulture of Ukraine named after M.F. Sidorenko. Hybrids of cherries and cherries are called dukes.
The toy is a hybrid of cherries
Duke is obtained by grafting cherries on a cherry rootstock. True, the survival rate of such a vaccination is not high, but, if successful, the result will be an excellent quality of berries and a high yield.
Toys have worthy parents. From the side of cherries, it’s time-tested Lyubskaya (among the Lyubka people) - in the State Register since 1947, fruiting from the 3rd year, hardy, unpretentious, transportable. On the side of cherries - Melitopol variety Black ball, which has also been fruiting since the 3rd year, it is high-yielding (40 kg from a tree), berry weight - 15 g.
Cherry Toy received the best qualities from parent plants
This dyukovy hybrid has the following characteristics:
- A tall tree, reaches a height of 7 m.
- Wide, spherical crown.
- Leaves of dark green, saturated shade.
- It blooms on annual shoots, inflorescences consist of 3-4 buds.
- Cherry is self-fertile, so she needs pollinators - cherries or cherries of other varieties.
- The berries are dark red in color, weighing 9 g, with a thin, easily detachable skin, juicy pulp of a dark red color and an easily detachable bone.
- Great taste.
- High yields growing with age. A ten-year-old tree gives up to 50 kg. Fruits in 20-30 years.
- Drought tolerance.
- Frost resistance - the tree withstands up to -25 ° C.
- Ripening by the end of June (in Melitopol).
Video: Toy varieties of cherries
How to plant a cherry toy
In order for the Toy to grow long and healthy, to give a good harvest of tasty and juicy berries, you first need to think about where it is better to plant it, in which environment. You should know that cherries love to grow among their own kind - cherries, plums. She does not get along well with apple, pear, nuts, raspberries, currants. It will be good if there are Cherries or Samsonovka cherries nearby, as well as cherries Valery Chkalov or Franz Joseph.
The landing site should be elevated, with a deep bed of soil water, sunny and well ventilated. A slope of 10–15 °, especially western or north-western, is what the Toy needs. The soil is desirable light, sandy, but the tree will grow on loam. The main thing is that the earth should not be acidic.
The first thing to choose is landing time. There are two options - in autumn or early spring. The first is chosen only if for some reason it is not possible to plant a tree in spring.
Planting in autumn is less preferable due to the fact that in winter a young plant risks freezing. This is especially true for more northern regions. Therefore, consider spring planting.
Selection of seedlings
It is better to buy seedlings in the fall. At this time, they have a large selection, while in the spring they sell what remains of the autumn. Prefer one- or two-year-old seedlings with a well-formed root system. Three years old and older rarely take root and often do not bear fruit at all.
Cherry seedlings should have a well-formed root system
Typically, one-year-old cherries grow to 0.7–0.8 m, and two-year-old cherries grow to 1.1–1.3 m.
Digging seedlings for the winter
Before spring, seedlings need to be dug in an almost horizontal position. The pit should be 25–35 cm deep and long, depending on the height of the seedling.
The seedling needs to be dug for the winter to protect it from the cold
Ground needs to be filled with roots and trunk, leaving a crown on the surface. It is covered with snow or agricultural.
Landing pit preparation
Pits for planting also need to be prepared in the fall. Their depth should be 40–50 cm, and their diameter should be 70–80 cm.
- First, remove the upper layer of fertile soil without mixing it with the lower layers.
- Then, the ground layer of the upper layer, 20-30 kg of well-rotted humus (or compost), is poured into the pit, 1-1.5 l of wood ash, 200 g of superphosphate are added.
- All this is mixed and left until spring.
The topsoil is introduced into the dug landing pit first
In early spring, when the buds had not yet blossomed, and the snow had already begun to melt and the soil began to warm up, you can begin to plant. Usually this is April, and in the southern regions - even March.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
- A stake is driven into a prepared hole, a seedling is placed next to an earthen hill, carefully spreading its roots, and it is covered with soil. It is necessary to ensure that the root collar is not covered with earth, but is 3-5 cm above the surface. If it is too low, there is a risk of it freezing into the ground, because of which it can vypryat.
- They compact the soil well, form a near-stem circle and water the tree.
- Tie a sapling to a stake and cut all branches by 10–20 cm.
The root neck should rise slightly above the ground.
This completes the planting process, now you need to take care of the proper care and protection from diseases and pests.
Cultivation and care
Usually cherries are undemanding to care. The toy is no exception. Caring for it boils down to the following simple operations:
- The first pruning is shortening the branches during planting. The young tree is no longer pruned until it reaches the age of six, when it is fully strengthened.
- After 6 years, pruning is carried out annually. As usual, dried, diseased and partially branches growing inside the crown are removed. Since cherries on young shoots growing inside the crown also form ovaries, it is advisable to sacrifice them only with a strong thickening.
- The toy is a tall tree, which makes it difficult to pick berries from the top of the crown. Therefore, in the seventh year, it is necessary to trim the central shoot in order to stop the growth of the tree, after which it switches to lateral branching.
- The drooping shoots are completely removed, since they will no longer bear fruit, or leave 3 buds on them, which will cause the formation of flower buds next year.
- At the age of fifteen, trimming is stopped (except for sanitary).
- Watering is carried out 3 times per season: before flowering, after harvesting and before winter. Water consumption - 30 l per 1 m2 of the trunk circle.
- Fertilizing will be required for the 3rd year after planting:
- In the spring, before flowering, urea or nitrate nitrate is added for digging at the rate of 25 g per 1 m2.
- During flowering, humus is added at the rate of 5 kg per 1 m2 of the trunk circle.
- After harvesting, they are fed with organics in order to restore the resources spent on fruiting. To do this, you can apply the infusion of 1 liter of mullein, diluted in 10 liters of water (insist 5-7 days). 2 l of the composition is added to a bucket of water and watered with a near-stem circle (1 bucket per 2–4 m2).
- Foliar top dressing is done, which during the growing season provides a significant increase in yield.
Table: foliar top dressing
|Development stage||Fertilizer||Consumption, kg / ha|
|Pink bud||Phytofert Energy NPK 0-5-3 Mancin|
Phytofert Energy NPK 2–0-2 Bioflex
|1 + 3|
|Before opening the buds||Phytofert Energy NPK 1–0-0 Bormax 20%|
Phytofert Energy NPK 2–0-2 Bioflex
|1 + 3|
|Flowering||Phytofert Energy NPK 2–0-2 Bioflex||3|
|7 days later||Phytofert Energy NPK 2–0-0 Calcifol 25||3|
|15 days later||Phytofert Energy NPK 2–0-2 Bioflex||3|
|Pigmentation start||Phytofert Energy NPK 2–0-0 Calcifol 25||3|
|15 days after collection||Phytofert Energy NPK 5–55–10 Start|
Phytofert Energy NPK 0-5-3 Mancin
Phytofert Energy NPK 4–0-0 Aminoflex
|3 + 3 + 1|
Cherry Disease and Control
The toy is susceptible to diseases characteristic of ordinary cherries:
- perforated spotting (kleasterosporiosis);
- gum detection (gammosis), etc.
Kleasterosporiosis is a fungal disease. The first signs - brownish spots appear on the leaves, which further increase, holes appear.
Coccomycosis is also a fungal disease. It is manifested by the formation on the outside of the leaves of brownish-reddish spots. Over time, they increase, the leaves dry and fall. This usually happens in August, this process is called summer leaf fall.
Moniliosis (monilial burn) affects shoots, leaves, flowers. With this disease, they look as if burned - hence the name.
Prevention and treatment of these diseases are the same. In early spring or late autumn, all affected shoots and fallen leaves are removed and burned (they cannot be used for compost). Then treated with one of the drugs:
- iron sulfate 3%;
- copper sulfate 3%;
- Bordeaux mixture 3%;
After flowering, they switch to biofungicides (drugs to combat fungal diseases). Horus, Quadris have proven themselves perfectly. They differ in that they can be used 7 days before harvesting and eating berries. The frequency of treatments is 2 weeks. Each of the funds should be used no more than 3 times, because the causative agents of the disease become resistant to them.
Gum therapy is not a disease, but a tree’s reaction to certain adverse factors:
- heavy soils;
- damage to the cortex;
- congestion in the crop;
- excess fertilizer;
- fluctuations in air temperature, etc.
Most often, gum (sticky resinous liquid) is released when the bark of a tree is damaged. It is believed that the plant in this way heals the wounds inflicted on it. When a tree is damaged, they act like this:
- Cut the gum with a sharp knife to healthy wood.
- The cut site is treated with a 1% solution of copper sulfate.
- The place of cut is protected by a layer of a garden var.
Photo Gallery: Cherry Disease
- Clyasterosporiosis of cherry provokes the formation of holes in the leaves
- With coccomycosis, the leaves of the cherry dry and fall
- Gum cherry detection provokes adverse conditions
- Cherry moniliosis resembles a burn
Toy grade reviews
There is also a messier duke than the Toy, but it gives a lot of berries.
I have the largest variety, Toy.
Cherry Toy is a guaranteed harvest for the next 20-30 years. That is how much she will delight with her berries of unsurpassed taste and aroma.