Tomato Dubrava: how to get a good harvest
In summer, it is a constant ingredient in various salads, and in winter, it is present in a pickled form on the table. We also heard about him in a fairy tale - Senior Tomato. This culture is popular all over the world, so the number of varieties is simply not countable. But there are varieties that have enjoyed well-deserved success for more than a dozen years. For example, Dubrava tomatoes. They do not require special attention, easily tolerate the vagaries of nature and give good harvests. And the variety has one nice feature - it does not need pinching, a procedure that takes quite a lot of time from the summer resident. For these positive characteristics, Dubrava is very much appreciated among gardeners.
History and description of tomato varieties Dubrava
I will not be mistaken if I say that in almost every garden you can find tomato bushes. After all, a tomato from its garden is much more aromatic and tastier than a store. Therefore, breeders are happy to create varieties with improved characteristics for hardworking gardeners.
Tomato Dubrava was bred in the 90s in the Moscow region. Having passed the required variety tests, in 1997 he was enrolled in the State Register for the Central and Volga-Vyatka region. The variety is recommended for cultivation in open ground on household plots, garden plots and small farms.
Variety Dubrava can be found under another name - Oak. But this name can most likely be attributed to the national.
Tomatoes Dubrava - a promising domestic variety
Each variety has a certain set of qualities that help the gardener to choose the plant he likes. At tomato Dubrava characteristic is more than worthy.
- The variety belongs to early ripening. On the 85th day after full germination, the fruits begin to ripen in regions with a warm climate, in the cooler ripening period comes later - on 105 days.
- Productivity is high, but depending on the region, this indicator may be different. In the Central region - 133 - 349 kg / ha, which is 24 - 106 kg / ha higher than the standard varieties Alpatiev 905 A and Peremoga 165. In the Volga-Vyatka region, the yield is higher - 224 - 551 kg / ha, which is almost one the level with the standards of Siberian precocious and Peremoga 165. The maximum yield level is shown in the Republic of Mari El - 551 c / ha, which is 12 c / ha higher than the standard Siberian precocious.
- The fruits have a universal purpose. Tomatoes are suitable for fresh vitamin salads and salting, as they do not lose their shape, are used for preservation and processing for tomato products.
- Resistance to diseases is average. An average susceptibility to late blight of the vegetative mass is noted.
- The grade is plastic. With environmental changes - drought or high humidity, Dubrava tomato can not only develop, but also form fruits.
- The variety does not require pinching, which facilitates the care of it.
- Fruits are distinguished by good shelf life - with proper storage they do not lose their presentation for almost 1.5 months. The variety can withstand transportation over long distances.
Dubrava variety tomatoes - video
Tomatoes Dubrava belong to the determinant plants. This term applies to low grades. The Dubrava bush has a height of 40 to 60 cm. It is compact, weakly branchy and has medium foliage. The leaves are ordinary, small, green, slightly corrugated. The first simple inflorescence is laid under a 6 - 7 leaf, and then flower brushes appear after 1 or 2 leaves. One brush can carry up to 10 or more fruits.
Fruits are rounded in shape with a smooth surface. The mass of the fetus ranges from 53 to 110 g. During the period of technical ripeness, they are painted in a saturated red color. The skin is strong. The pulp is dense and fleshy, but somewhat dry. Seed nests are from 3 to 6. Taste qualities of fresh fruits are rated as satisfactory and good. Light sourness prevails in taste.
Thanks to the firm flesh, Dubrava tomato fruits are ideal for pickling
Advantages and disadvantages of Dubrava variety - table
|Compact plants and no stepsons||Sourness may predominate in taste.|
|Early ripening||Medium resistance to late blight|
|High yield||Medium resistance to late blight|
|The ability to tolerate temperature|
|Universality of use|
|Good storage and transportability|
A distinctive feature of Dubok tomatoes from other varieties is the absence of stepsons, which makes the care very simple.
Features of planting and growing
Dubrava tomatoes are grown in two ways - seed and seedlings. The seedling method can be used in any region suitable for cultivating the variety. But the seed is used only in the southern regions.
The time for planting seedlings is determined depending on the region. In warm areas, seeds are sown from the beginning of March to the end of the month. In the cool - in early April. Dates must be defined very strictly, seedlings should not outgrow. Overgrown seedlings take root worse and later form a crop. The main thing is that no more than 60 days pass before planting seedlings in the ground.
Overgrown seedlings will begin to bear fruit later
Seedling method provides early ripening of fruits and higher yields. But productivity will directly depend on the quality of seedlings. Despite the fact that the seeds of Dubrava are characterized by good germination - up to 95%, they must be processed before sowing seedlings.
- First, sort the seeds by removing the smallest or deformed ones.
- Then you need to check the quality of planting material to separate the empty seeds. To do this, pour clean water into a small container and dip the seeds into it. After some time, quality seeds will settle to the bottom, and empty seeds will emerge.
- Disinfect the seeds by soaking them in a 1 - 2% solution of potassium permanganate for 15 - 20 minutes. For the same purpose, 3% hydrogen peroxide is suitable (by the way, it also accelerates the process of germination). Seeds need to hold for only 20 minutes in a solution of 0.5 l of water and 1 tbsp. l peroxide.
Manganese solution disinfects seeds
Before sowing seeds, prepare the soil mixture and container. The soil must be nutritious and loose. A suitable composition can be purchased at a specialized store. But you can use the soil from the garden beds. To give greater friability add coarse sand. Before use, such soil must be sanitized by roasting in an oven or spilling with a solution of manganese.
As landing containers, elongated plastic containers with drainage holes are used. Before filling the box with soil mixture, lay a drainage layer on the bottom. Moisten the soil well before planting.
For growing seedlings, you can purchase a convenient container
Depth of seed contamination is 1.5 - 2 cm. In order to facilitate planting, grooves can be pressed through a wooden ruler and the seeds can already be laid out in them. The distance between the seeds is 2.5 - 3 cm, the width between the rows is up to 5 cm.
Furrows for sowing seeds are easy to make using a wooden ruler
Seed germination conditions and seedling care
- After sowing, the container with seeds is covered with a plastic bag and placed in a warm place. For germination, a temperature of 18 - 25 ° C is needed. Shelter needs periodic ventilation, and if necessary, moisten the soil from the spray gun.
- Shoots appear in less than a week. After that, the tank is moved to a well-lit place for 5-7 days. But the temperature is reduced to 15 ° C during the day and 10 - 12 ° C at night. This will prevent the seedlings from stretching.
- When the week passes, the seedlings are again placed in a warm place. The night temperature is not lower than 16 ° С, and the day temperature depending on the weather - on cloudy days not lower than 18 ° С, but not higher than 24 ° С on a sunny day.
- Sprout tomato seedlings Dubrava only with warm water, under the root. It is important not to fill seedlings and not to keep them in dry soil. Adjust the frequency of watering depending on the temperature. On sunny days, the soil will dry faster, so moisten more often. The fact that moisture is not enough will tell the leaves, which will begin to wilt.
Dubrava tomato seedlings are watered under the root with warm water
- To seedlings do not stretch, every day turn the container in different directions to the window. For normal development, seedlings need at least 12 hours of full lighting. If it is not enough, you need to additionally highlight the plants with phytolamps or fluorescent lamps.
If the seedlings lack light, use fluorescent lights
- Top dressing is applied twice. The first time the first pair of true leaflets appeared on the seedlings. The second - a few days before planting in the ground. As a top dressing, complex mineral fertilizers are used for seedlings, preparing a solution according to the instructions.
A pick is necessary, because the seeds germinate in shallow containers, and the root system does not have the opportunity for normal development. Therefore, when the seedlings appear 2 - 3 of these leaves, you need to dive into a separate container.
A picking will help the seedling to grow powerful roots, which will then help the plant quickly take root in the garden and provide itself with nutrition. But it should be remembered that after the procedure, the seedlings will suspend growth for a while.
For seedlings of undersized varieties, such as Dubrava, you can pick up not very large pots - 8/8 cm in size. Before the procedure, no later than 3 hours later, the seedlings are well watered. Then the seedlings are buried in the soil before the start of cotyledon growth. To avoid the formation of voids, pour the soil with warm water or a very weak solution of manganese. 2 - 3 days, seedlings are kept in a shaded place.
Pick of tomatoes - video
A week after a dive, the temperature is maintained at 20-22 ° C, then lowered to 15-18 ° C. The first 2 weeks, the transplanted tomatoes are especially in need of moisture, then the frequency of watering should be reduced, allowing the top layer of soil to dry slightly.
1.5 to 2 weeks before planting in open ground, seedlings begin to harden. You need to start with a gradual decrease in night temperatures and reduce watering. Then the seedlings can be taken out to the balcony, for about 30 minutes. If the day is sunny, the plants shade slightly. Outdoor time is gradually increasing.
Before transplanting into open ground, seedlings must undergo a hardening procedure.
Transplanting seedlings in the open ground
For an early ripe tomato variety Dubrava, it is best to choose a well-lit place in the southern or south-western part of the garden. The site should be dry, without stagnation of water. Well, if earlier in this bed crops that were not related to Solanaceae grew:
Fragrant dill - a good predecessor for tomato seedlings
The main thing is not to plant tomatoes in one place for 2 years in a row. Areas for growing potatoes are not suitable for growing tomato Dubrava.
From soils, Dubrava tomato prefers loams or sandstones. In the fall, a digging bucket of 50 m² of superphosphate is added for 1 m². When spring digging, which is carried out a week before the transplant, add nitrogen-containing fertilizers and potash. The application rate for 1 tbsp. l each substance per 1 m².
Seedlings are planted in open ground when the topsoil (10 cm) warms up to 13 ° C. So that the bushes do not obscure each other, they are planted at a distance of 35 - 45 cm. The row spacing is at least 50 cm.
- Dig a hole 30 cm deep. Spill well with water. The soil should have a sour cream consistency.
- Transplant seedlings by transshipment. Plant lightly at an angle so that part of the stem is underground under the first pair of leaves (this contributes to the formation of additional roots). But more than 12 cm from the level of the previous planting, the tomato is not buried. The roots should be placed freely, without kinks.
- After planting, cover the hole with dry earth and tamp. You can use peat as a mulch, which will help maintain moisture in the soil.
How to plant tomatoes in open ground - video
After transplanting, seedlings are not watered for 7-10 days, allowing the plant to take root. But be sure to visually assess the condition of the plant. If it is very hot outside, then the plants may wilt. In this case, hydration is necessary.
It is best to transplant tomato seedlings in the garden in the evening or on a cloudy day. The sun will not be very hot and the plants will have the opportunity to quickly recover.
The seed method is good because you do not need to mess with seedlings, plants grow with greater resistance to temperature drops and diseases, have a more powerful root system. They start sowing seeds when the temperature of the soil warms up to 14 - 15 ° C. As a rule, suitable conditions develop in the second decade of April or early May. Before sowing in open ground, Dubrava tomato seeds are processed in a known manner. And the soil is prepared in the same way as for transplanting seedlings.
- Up to 3 seeds are sown in a moistened well.
- Sprinkle with dry soil on top. If cooling is expected, then the hole can be protected with a covering material or a 6-liter plastic bottle with a cut bottom.
- When shoots appear, choose the strongest, the rest are carefully removed.
Young tomato bushes feel great under reliable shelter from plastic bottles
Tomatoes Dubrava unpretentious, even an inexperienced gardener can safely take on their cultivation. Variety agricultural technology is very simple, but it has some nuances.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
Watering and weeding
The variety does not need to be watered often, but it will be necessary to monitor the soil moisture in order to prevent strong overdrying in the region of the root system. Unlike other varieties, Dubrava can withstand even waterlogging of the soil. But still it’s not worth the risk, the soil under the bush should be in a moderately wet state, which mulch will help maintain. The day after watering, you need to perform light loosening to maintain normal oxygen access to the roots.
Dubrava tomatoes prefer moderately moist soil
After transplanting seedlings to open beds, soil moisture must be maintained at 60%. In such conditions, in the first 2 weeks the bushes will take root quickly and show excellent growth.
During the growing season, at least 3 weeds must be carried out, which will free the row-spacings from weed grass. In addition, clean soil is the key to plant health.
On clean beds and the harvest pleases
Frequent top dressing can provoke the growth of green mass and reduce the ability to form ovaries. Therefore, the excessive introduction of nitrogen should be abstained.
- The first top dressing is carried out 2 weeks after transplantation into the ground. For this, 25 g of superphosphate, 5 g of urea and 6 to 10 g of potassium salt are added per 1 m².
- When the fruits begin to set, treat the plant with organics. 0.8 l of mullein or bird droppings is consumed per plant. You can use wood ash - 100 g per 1 m².
If the soil is depleted in your area, then fertilize every 20 days. Foliage will tell about the lack of any trace element.
By what signs can you determine the lack of trace elements - table
|Nitrogen||Leaves become small, chlorotic, streaks acquire|
light red tint
|Zinc and Magnesium||Gray-bronze spots appear on the sheet plate|
|Iron||Foliage turns yellow with a whitish hue.|
|Potassium||The edges of the leaf plate curl and turn yellow-brown.|
|Phosphorus||Tomatoes lag behind in growth and languish, on the leaves appear necrotic|
Tomato leaves tell you what trace elements are missing in the culture
Garter and shaping
The peculiarity of the Dubrava variety not to form stepsons will save the gardener from unnecessary labor. To increase productivity, the bush is formed from 3 to 4 shoots.
Short stature allows you to grow a variety without trellis or supports. But still, when the plant begins to bear fruit, it is better to tie it up so that the brushes with the poured fruits do not break.
Dubrava tomatoes are stunted, but during the ripening of the crop, it is better to tie the brushes with the fruits
Features of growing tomato Dubrava in a greenhouse
Variety Dubrava is universal, because it can be grown not only in an open garden bed, but also in a greenhouse. Moreover, in a closed ground, the variety is able to tie more fruits. Despite the fact that the greenhouse microclimate is very suitable for growing tomatoes, there are some nuances that are important to observe to get the maximum yield.
- optimal temperature - during the day from 18 to 25 ° C, at night not lower than 15 ° C;
- humidity of air and soil should not exceed 70%. And this is important, since the greenhouse culture, with increasing humidity, often suffers from fungal diseases;
- greenhouses are often recommended to be aired. But this must be done so that drafts do not form inside;
- To form a crop, Dubrava tomatoes need to provide good lighting.
A greenhouse can become a paradise for Dubrava tomatoes, but subject to certain rules
Other agricultural techniques, such as, for example, soil preparation, top dressing and bush formation, are carried out in the same way as when grown in open ground.
Pay special attention to the plant during the flowering period. Despite the fact that Dubrava tomatoes are a self-pollinating crop, mass flowering in a greenhouse cannot guarantee a good harvest.
- pollen quality decreases at temperatures below 13 ° C. And when the thermometer column rises above 30 ° C, pollen becomes completely non-viable;
- watch for humidity. Excessive dryness is unacceptable, as well as increased humidity, then the pollen begins to stick together and loses volatility;
- attract insects into the greenhouse.
To prevent the flowering of Dubrava tomato in the greenhouse in vain, observe the temperature regime
Diseases and Pests
Tomatoes Dubrava are unpretentious and subject to agricultural conditions, there are no special problems with the occurrence of diseases and pest invasions. But as a rule, nature often intervenes in the gardener's plans to harvest a good crop. Sudden changes in day and night temperatures, rainy periods or frequent fogs dramatically reduce the immunity of the plant. In order to prevent problems during such periods, you need to have on hand the necessary drugs that stop the spread of infections and insects.
Disease and pest control measures - table
|What drugs will help|
deal with the problem
|Folk methods of struggle|
water. Cool, strain, dilute with water (up to 10 l) and add
20 g of grated soap.
garlic. Strain, add 1.5 g of manganese and 2 tbsp. l
|Gray rot||A solution of baking soda - 80 g per 10 liters of water.|
|White-winged||Use soap solutions or adhesive tapes.|
put the raw materials in a 3-liter jar and fill to the brim
water. Insist 5 - 7 days and strain. For 10 liters of water
you will need 60 g of infusion and 20 g of grated soap.
for several days. Then strain and dilute with water in
When treating tomatoes with fungicides, do not forget about your own protection
Reviews about tomato varieties Dubrava
I bought 2 bags of seeds - Dubrava and Moskvich. March 20, sowed seedlings, at the end of May, landed troops from seedlings in the ground, in prepared beds. I didn’t bring any fertilizers, only I bought the finished land. From courtship, 1 time immediately after planting, sprayed from any pests, tied trunks and weeds, 5 times a season watered tomatoes from a watering can. To be honest, there were many opinions that without a greenhouse, nothing could come of it. But in the end, the tomatoes ripened, they were sooo sweet, there were a lot of them, but mostly small. I am satisfied) I concluded that something bad could happen in a mountain gardener without experience as well)
I planted the Oak. He does not require garter. А в остальном очень заурядный сорт. Не поразил ни урожайностью, ни вкусом.
«Дубок» (его еще «Дубрава» называют) мне понравился. Очень урожайный у меня был. Примерно до 40 см, куст более аккуратный. Плоды среднего размера (для открытого грунта).
Заурядный сорт. Не поразил ни урожайностью, ни вкусом. Но в принципе не требует пасынкования. Достаточно низкорослый 50–70 см… Огромный плюс устойчивость к фитофторозу.
«Дубок» сажаю несколько лет подряд. Сильно крупные салатные хватает 5 кустов, больше не успеваем съедать
Томат Дубрава является тем универсальным продуктом, который и вкусом порадует, и организму огромную пользу принесёт, даже после тепловой обработки. А как приятно любоваться крепким кустиком, на фоне яркой зелени которого гордо красуются наливающиеся плоды. И поверьте, вырастить томаты Дубрава очень легко — начинающему огороднику под силу справиться.