Overview of the 7 most popular materials for decorating the facade of a private house
The technology and materials for decorating house facades are being considered at the design stage. The appearance of the building should fit into the landscape, be neat and beautiful. In addition to the decorative function, the facade decoration also performs purely practical tasks - it insulates, soundproofes the building, protects the supporting structures from moisture, wind, steam, and temperature changes. Facade cladding should be hygienic, resistant to the destructive effects of fungi, mold, which often cause microcracks in the walls. How to choose a material for the decoration of the facade of a private house? What to focus on?
The construction market offers a lot of different types of materials. Choosing how to decorate the facade of the house, buyers most often focus on the following:
- decorative plaster;
- clinker brick and tile;
- porcelain tile;
- sandwich panels;
- stone - natural and artificial;
- front cartridges.
Each of the listed materials has its own advantages and disadvantages. Prices vary significantly. When designing a house, you need to determine in advance the budget for the purchase of finishing materials. Their pros, cons and specific properties will be considered below.
Also, material on the design options for the porch of a private house will be useful: dekor / design-krylca-chastnogo-doma.html
The variety of materials for finishing facades is huge, you can always choose the right option for any type of house
Option # 1 - facade decorative plaster
Plastering the front of the house is considered the most “ancient” type of decoration. In recent decades, unique stucco materials have appeared, designed to decorate a wide variety of types of building materials.
There are many types of smooth and textured plaster for facades. Wall application technologies also vary markedly. This nuance should be taken into account and carefully study the instructions for the types of material you like.
Due to the wide range and reasonable cost, stucco for facades does not lose its popularity. Its advantages:
- Aesthetics. A huge variety of colors, many textures. If desired, each owner can create a unique exterior of the house.
- Water resistance. All types of facade plasters reliably protect the building from moisture. Thermal insulation materials do not get wet, so they are less destroyed and do not lose their properties for years.
- Resistance to frost. If during the plastering of the building no gross technological errors were made, the material does not burst in frosts, tolerates temperature extremes.
- Easy to apply. For plastering work, you do not need expensive special equipment, just the usual tools that are in every house. Having the necessary skills, the owner of the house can cope on their own.
Next, we consider the subspecies of the plaster and see how they differ from each other.
Mineral plaster: cheap and beautiful
This is the most common finishing material. Its undeniable advantages are an extensive color palette and low price. Mineral-based plasters are biologically stable and do not promote the growth of microorganisms. Finishing is not afraid of moisture, direct sunlight.
The scope of mineral plaster is practically unlimited. It does not burn, it is used for decoration of buildings with flammable heaters. The disadvantages include low elasticity. When the building shrinks, the surface finishes cracking.
Mineral decorative plaster has practically no restrictions on compatibility with building and heat-insulating materials. It is applied to concrete, drywall, board materials, plywood. Mineral plaster suitable for plinth
Acrylic Decoration Materials
Unlike mineral, acrylic plaster is much more elastic. It does not crack when the house shrinks. This is an elastic and durable material that retains its original appearance for several years.
Acrylic plaster is resistant to frost and moisture, but surfaces finished with this material become relatively dirty. Acrylic based plaster costs buyers more than mineral plaster. The material is flammable; it is not recommended to use it for facades insulated with mineral wool.
Before starting work with acrylic plaster, walls should be prepared. Surfaces should be smooth, without visible flaws and cracks. Then the finished coating adheres well to the wall and remains strong for many years.
Features of silicate plaster
Silicate plaster is one of the most durable materials. Finishing is able to last two to three decades, without losing appearance and operational properties for a long time. She practically does not get dirty. If dust and dirt nevertheless adhere to the surface, they are easily washed off during rain. This plaster does not burst when the house shrinks, does not allow moisture to pass through.
According to the technology, silicate plaster must be quickly applied to the surface, which requires a high professionalism from the employee and usually implies additional costs for the services of the construction team. Another expense item is the purchase of a special primer. The color scheme does not differ in variety.
In the manufacture of silicate plaster, potassium glass is used, which provides the material with high performance characteristics. This type of plaster is not used for interior decoration due to the presence in the composition of substances that affect human health. But for facades it fits perfectly
Silicone plaster: keeping up with the times
Silicone (siloxane) plaster is an ideal material for facade decoration. It has no other drawbacks besides the high price. If the budget allows, it makes sense to dwell on this particular type of decoration. Silicone plaster is highly durable, able to last several decades and is suitable for facades with any heat-insulating materials.
The material is durable, not contaminated, self-cleaning under the influence of precipitation, wind. If the house is located near a highway or in a densely populated area, it is better to finish the facade with silicone plaster, because it will stay clean under any circumstances. An additional “bonus” for the owner of the building is the simplicity of applying the material to the surface. More about this in the video:
Option # 2 - clinker brick and tile
Clinker brick is similar to ordinary building brick. There are more than a hundred types of finishing bricks with different textures and rich colors. Clinker brick is a natural material made of clay with the addition of natural dyes. Due to the natural raw materials and manufacturing features, the shade of the brick may vary, so if you have to buy material from different lots, it is advisable to mix it to avoid obvious color mismatch.
Three main types of material can be distinguished:
- front brick;
- facing tile.
The front surface can be chosen for every taste: glossy, matte, corrugated or glazed. Clinker brick is durable, does not absorb water (moisture absorption 3%). Facade finish is easy to clean when dirty. You can use any household chemicals, as the material is resistant to chemically aggressive environments. Clinker bricks and tiles tolerate high and low temperatures, they are durable. The only drawback is the high cost and complicated installation (skilled builders will be required).Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
You can learn about the features of manufacturing the material from the video:
Option # 3 - durable and aesthetic porcelain stoneware
Porcelain tile is one of the best decorative materials for decorating the facades of private houses. It is impossible to apply drawings to the surface, but this does not affect aesthetics at all. The assortment is huge, there are hundreds of shades and many textures. Rainbow porcelain tile looks especially impressive. There is a material that imitates natural wood or stone. If desired, the owner can create an exclusive house decorated with porcelain stoneware.
Physical properties of the material:
- Strength and durability. Like other clay building materials, porcelain stoneware is extremely durable, as resistant to abrasion and mechanical damage.
- Moisture resistant. Porcelain tile does not absorb water, which is why it is characterized by increased frost resistance. Cracks do not form on its surface.
- Resistance to temperatures. Porcelain tile perfectly tolerates any temperature, does not respond to changes. The material does not burn and does not change the technical and operational characteristics even with strong heating.
- Permanent color. The material does not change color. Given the increased wear resistance, the facade will be almost eternal.
- Specific installation. This property should be attributed to the disadvantages, which are the flip side of the advantage - low hygroscopicity. Porcelain tile is mounted on a metal frame or on special glue. If laid on a cement mortar, it can fall off in the cold.
Manufacturers produce porcelain tiles with various surfaces:
- Matt The material is not subjected to additional processing, so the surface has a natural look, and the finish itself has the best performance properties.
- Polished. It is also called satin. Feature - a surface with a noble wax shine. The effect is achieved by the addition of mineral salts. The material is more expensive than matte, and the properties are practically the same.
- Glazed. A beautiful glazed surface resembles ceramic tiles, but porcelain stoneware is much stronger.
- Polished. The surface is polished with special abrasives. The material is rich in sparkling color, suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- Semi-polished. The front side of this material looks original thanks to the spectacular combination of shiny and matte areas.
- Structured. This type of decoration of the facade of a private house is rich in textures. The material can be patterned, embossed, rough, imitating the texture of wood or stone.
- Mosaic. Luxurious mosaic panels can completely transform buildings. Porcelain mosaics are difficult to lay, but the result is worth the effort. The owner of the house can purchase both a mosaic of mass production and order an exclusive version.
Porcelain tile is suitable for cladding new and restoration of old buildings. Renovated old-built house will look gorgeous for several decades
For facade cladding, porcelain tiles with a tile thickness of 12 mm or more, ideally 14-16 mm, are chosen. Optimum sizes, convenient to use: 300x600, 600x600 and 600x900 mm
Option # 4 - decorative siding
Siding is a decorative panel. This is one of the most beautiful types of cladding. The material is easy to assemble, well protects load-bearing structures from external negative influences. Distinguish these types of siding:
- Vinyl. These are PVC panels, the appearance of which can imitate natural wood, stone or brick. There are many types of vinyl siding, so the choice of decor is practically unlimited. PVC panels are lightweight, resistant to temperature, mechanical stress and cheap. The only caveat: during installation, the linear expansion coefficient is taken into account so that the finish does not lose its appearance during temperature changes.
- Wooden. Finishing panels are made from dried and / or wood treated with antiseptics. The material holds heat well, looks beautiful, is environmentally friendly, however, compared with other types of road siding, it is short-lived and requires special care.
- Metal. It is made of steel or aluminum. With the obvious advantages of metals (strength, resistance to temperature extremes, hygiene, etc.), there are obvious disadvantages. In case of damage to the upper layer of metal panels, corrosion processes begin.
- Cement. This siding is heavy, which leads to an increase in the weight of the entire structure. There is a need to strengthen the foundation. But it perfectly replaces the finishing stone, is also reliable and not subject to external factors.
- Basement. As a basement siding, brick or PVC panels are used. This is a thick finishing material, designed for high operational loads.
When choosing a siding, pay attention to the uniformity of color, the thickness of the panel, the size of the nail holes (should be the same). Ask for manufacturer warranty
Option # 5 - sandwich panels
The word "sandwich" in the name of the panels very correctly describes the design of the material. It consists of two dense layers, between which a heater is located. It is successfully used in the decoration of new houses and the reconstruction of old ones. The material is very beautiful, diverse, lightweight, moisture resistant, fireproof, and durable.
If one of the panels is damaged, it can be replaced without dismantling the entire facade cladding. Sandwich panels cannot be called the cheapest finishing option, but with a competent combination of materials you can reduce the overall cost of building a house.
Detailed information on the types, advantages, disadvantages of sandwich panels is presented in the video:
Option # 6 - natural and artificial stone
Choosing a stone for cladding the facade, the owner of the house obviously agrees to high costs. However, this is a profitable investment, because for several decades it will be possible not to remember the repair or replacement of the finish. It will remain strong, reliable, beautiful and resistant to any influences.
Artificial stone is cheaper and gives more room for designer imagination than natural, and their properties differ little. This is the perfect material. The facade can be finished with panels with any stone: granite, marble, basalt, quartzite, limestone, sandstone, slate or shell rock.
You can learn more about the rules for laying natural and artificial stone from the material: dekor / ukladka-prirodnogo-i-iskusstvennogo-kamnya.html
Facing with natural stone is an expensive pleasure. The stone can be combined with other, more “democratic” materials and at the same time get a luxurious appearance of the house
Option # 7 - tech cassette facade
Metal cassettes are widely used for the installation of ventilated facades. Cassettes are mounted on special rivets or screws in a hidden or open way. The choice of colors, textures and sizes is huge, which greatly expands the design possibilities in the design of the house.
The material is reliable, durable, resistant to all destructive factors, eco-friendly and fireproof. It has practically no shortcomings, with the exception of high cost. This is an excellent option for the restoration of the facades of old buildings and decoration of new buildings.
You might be interested in material about the construction of a canopy attached to the house: diy / stroitelstvo-navesa-k-domu.html
A special substructure is required to secure the ventilated facade. Sometimes they use a system in which cassettes are fixed on special “skids”
So what to choose?
Watch the video with the architect’s advice:
In most cases, homeowners choose the cheapest finishing materials, because budgets are not dimensionless. But the proverb about a stingy person who pays twice should not be forgotten. When choosing your future facade, pay attention to whether the material is combined with insulation and material of load-bearing walls. Consider durability, degree of thermal insulation, corrosion resistance.
If you wish, you can always find an acceptable option for a beautiful, practical and economical casing. If in doubt, it is best to consult a specialist.
Based on materials from the Question-Repair.ru site.