Mulberry cultivation in the Moscow Region: suitable varieties, planting and care features
Mulberry (a mulberry tree, here, a mulberry tree) is appreciated by gardeners not only for its decorativeness. A person gains undoubted benefit from juicy and tasty fruits that look like blackberries. The mulberry tree has many varieties, but not everyone feels equally comfortable in the conditions of the Moscow region. For this region, white mulberry varieties are recommended that quickly take root and bear fruit abundantly.
Is it possible to grow mulberries in the suburbs
A mulberry tree at home is capable of reaching a height of 15 m, in the climate of the central strip of Russia it does not exceed 2.5–3.5 m. The plates of tuta leaves are quite large (10–20x10 cm). They feed on the silkworm, bred in the southern countries for the production of silk.
Fully ripened fruits can take white, pink, dark violet, red, black color, reach a length of 2-4 cm. The fruits of the moth are not a berry, as they are called. Rather, these are mini-nuts collected in fertility and firmly fused with their pericarp.
Mulberry mating is reminiscent of blackberries
As evidenced by the numerous reviews of experienced gardeners, growing mulberries in the suburbs is quite possible. However, not all so simple. Difficulties arise due to cold and long winters and too short summers. Survive short frosts on a tree by forces. But it should be borne in mind that neither its root part nor the aboveground part are distinguished by an increased degree of frost resistance.
On the root system, for example, cooling of the soil can already be detrimental already within 7–10 ° C. In this regard, the gardener is recommended not to neglect such a precaution when planting a crop, as a slight deepening of the root neck. In the autumn period, it is necessary to cover the soil in the root system with a mulching layer. The aerial part for the winter is also recommended to be insulated with various woven materials.
Features of growing mulberry in the suburbs
The uniqueness of the mulberry tree is that along with leaf fall, it has a shoot fall - a process in which a bush, without any serious consequences, eliminates a less functional section of the branch. At the same time, cork tissue is formed between the immature and mature segments of the shoot.
The thing is that mulberry has adapted to a short daylight hours in the middle band, having received two vegetation periods - spring and autumn. For other southern cultures, this fact is unacceptable: they will simply die before they have time to start the defense mechanism before wintering. The presence of an advantage in mulberry makes it undaunted against the impending cold.
How to plant mulberry in the Moscow region
When choosing a place for planting a mulberry tree, a number of conditions should be taken into account:
- good illumination of the site;
- the presence of free territory within 6-7 m to the proposed landing site, the absence of tall buildings and trees that create a shadow;
- loose soil with a predominance of loamy or sandy components.
For landing tut choose a free and unshaded place
Mulberries are planted in spring or autumn:
- planting in the spring is carried out in April until the moment of intensive sap flow in plants;
- embark on an autumn landing in the early fall or mid-season, without waiting for stable cold and heavy rains.
- To seal the root part of the mulberry seedling, a pit of 80x80 cm is prepared.
- It is seasoned with humus or compost (1 bucket). If the earth is heavy, it is diluted with half a wheelbarrow of peat.
- The roots of the seedling are straightened and placed inside freely, sprinkled with a soil lump.
- If necessary, the seedling is tied to a peg, which is embedded in a hole.
Planting tut is also possible through seeds. For this, the seed material is stratified 2 months before sowing. Seeds close up to a depth of 3-5 cm, be sure to water, mulch.
Stratification - preliminary soaking of seeds in clean water for 3-5 days and treatment with a weak solution of potassium permanganate (0.1-0.25%) to awaken the seeds to life.
How to properly care for mulberry in the suburbs
In the spring, the newly planted shoots are inspected, the presence of frost-bitten twigs is revealed, and eliminated if necessary. If the plant has not suffered much during the winter, in the summer it will be able to compensate for the damage to health. In central Russia, including the Moscow region, it is preferable to grow mulberry in the form of a bush.
Before the fruit ripens, the mulberry is intensively gaining growth, therefore this period of time is best suited for the procedure of forming skeletal branches. The optimal crop pruning time is after leaflets appear. However, it should not coincide with the period of sap flow in the plant, since the branches that gave their juice run the risk of completely drying out. It is best to give the bush a sprawling shape, but do not make it excessively high. In the future, such a measure will protect the crop from birds. In addition, a small bush is always easier to cover in case of winter frosts.
In the Moscow region, a mulberry tree is formed in the form of a low bush
Mulberry top dressing is produced as it grows. As additives use a solution of chicken droppings (1:10) or manure (1: 5). From the second half of summer, watering is resorted to only in very dry weather. Mulberry is attractive to birds during the ripening period. Therefore, the crown during this period is protected by a specially stretched mesh.
What kind of mulberry is better to choose for the Moscow region
The mulberry tree has about 17 species. For simplicity, breeders subdivide mulberry into black, red, and white. However, with such a classification, the color of the cortex is not taken into account as a result of fertility. Naturally, black mulberry is much darker.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
Varieties of black mulberry with high yield indices are perceived negatively by the conditions of a cold climate, they do not survive at temperatures below -25 ° C. For this reason, it is not recommended to purchase them for landing in the suburbs. It is advised to pay attention to semi-wild varieties created in a natural way.
The properties of black mulberry in their properties are more appreciated in cooking than in white. It is they who are taken as the basis for cooking stewed fruit, jams, jams, cooking wine.
White mulberry is more common in the temperate climate of the middle strip. The branches and trunk of plants have a light beige or yellowish tint. In winter, they can survive frosts up to -30 ° C. A distinctive feature of white mulberry bushes is wind dusting, dioeciousness, drought resistance, relative frost resistance. In severe winters, they survive, while some of their branches freeze. With the beginning of the growing season, the culture is capable of self-healing.
Because of the favor of pruning, these plants are planted to equip a green hedge. Unpretentiousness to the soil composition is the reason for the placement of white mulberry in uncultivated areas. However, the latter do not include wetlands that are poorly tolerated by culture.
Any sort of white mulberry in the Moscow region shows good results.
The most popular varieties for Moscow region
However, you can try to grow in the suburbs both white and black mulberry.
- White Staromoskovskaya. This tree is distinguished by a spherical crown, which is located on a trunk up to 10 m high. The color of the fruit is dark purple, the taste indicators are magnificent. The advantages of the variety are self-fertility, stress resistance to frost.
- Red Vladimirskaya. The plant reaches a height of 6 m. The crown is wide with the active formation of lower lateral shoots. The fruits are sweet, have a bright purple color. Moderate frost resistance and self-pollination are the main trump cards of red Vladimirskaya mulberry.
- White honey. This is a partially self-fertile variety in which the bushes form a fairly wide crown. The fruits are tasty, but they do not accept transportation; freshness is maintained for 6 hours. The pluses of the variety include excellent frost resistance, productivity, unpretentiousness to the soil composition, ease of care.
- Royal. The variety is distinguished by excellent taste characteristics of the fruit, abundant fruit formation. Royal mulberry does not need excessive watering, quickly takes root on different types of soils. The fruits are black. Trimming the bush with giving it a spherical shape. It does not need additional protection for the winter, as it tolerates cold well. The variety is partially self-fertile, therefore, it is recommended to plant pollinating plants nearby. The advantages of Royal Mulberry are a good percentage of yield, fruit transportability.
- Black Prince. Plants of the variety are characterized by medium growth, extensive crown. Large black fertility reaches a length of 5 cm. The culture is not self-fertile, but undemanding to soils, drought and cold resistant, gives good yields.
- Dark-skinned girl. This is a widely used variety of mulberry in the suburbs. For the region, it is considered a priority. Mock fruit has a sweet-sour taste, black color, juiciness and softness. The plant is unpretentious to the composition of the soil, winters well. When freezing young shoots, it is able to quickly rehabilitate itself after pruning.
Mulberry fruits Black Prince reach 5 cm in length
Video: features of growing mulberries
Gardeners reviews about planting mulberries
And I noticed that mulberry is a fairly frost-resistant plant and is very tenacious. Annual growth can be up to 70–80 cm. And this is even in the conditions of the Moscow region. I am engaged in the cultivation of mulberries for more than 7 years and just marvel at its vitality ...Anona
Mulberry in the Istra district of Moscow. region., brought (without grade) from Ukraine, winters without shelter for 7 years. Trees taller than 3 m are trying to grow in bush form, annual freezing of last year’s August growths is observed (in autumn, it tries to go into the secondary growth of shoots). Fruits for 4 years annually, but selective branches - the lower tier. The color of the berries is black, the fruits are extremely small, in my opinion (I have not seen such a trifle in Ukraine after living there for more than 10 years). Harvest small, from one described tree of 2 liters of berries. The taste is slightly inferior to the southern one - it is more watery-freshish, while the taste of the south is palpable. For 4 years I have been growing mulberry from seeds, there were no berries yet, I expect.Lena
I also have white bush mulberry, I took it 4 years ago from Funtikov. Now about 1.7 meters high. This year only the tips of branches, 12-15 centimeters, froze. Below are living kidneys, and tiny ovaries are already visible on them. Last year I tried the first berries. The color is white, sugary, small.Valery Gor
Found the first berries on her mulberry ￼ The experiment was a success. Mulberries can be grown from seeds. They brought me a couple of late mulberry berries from Elista. Part was sown immediately (August). Seedlings are peaked in pots, wintered on the windowsill as indoor plants. Part of the seeds was sown next spring. There is a problem with these seedlings - well, they do not grow in any way. On one, there are 3 branches of 40 centimeters each. The other fell under the scythe, so the branches are quite frail, although pruning the mulberry does not harm. So, mulberry can grow and bear fruit north of the Moscow Region.tim95
In the Moscow region, our berries ripen and bear fruit, however, the berries are still small, less than a centimeter, but a lot. They brought from Rostov last year, a meter tree with a cap.Ludmila - MilaSvch
Mulberry tree can be grown in central Russia. It shows a good survival rate and growth rate. If the seedlings are rooted and survived two winters in a new place, then they will be able to calmly bear future wintering. With proper care of the mulberry tree, it can be inherited by descendants, because its life expectancy is more than one dozen years.