Limnantes - fried egg flower in your garden
The flower of limnantes originates from North America, the name of the plant was coined by the Greeks (it means “blooming in a damp ditch”), and the fun and undoubtedly accurate comparison with scrambled eggs (because of the yellow middle and white petals) occurred to the British. Florists and summer residents of Russia learned about limnantes not so long ago, but already managed to appreciate its high decorativeness and undemanding care.
What is a flower
Limnantes is an annual, representative of the limanthus family. Its main species is called the Douglas limantes, named after the famous Scottish "plant hunter" David Douglas, who enriched the European flora with two hundred hitherto unknown species and died in his next expedition at the age of 35.
The height of the plant is from 20 to 30 cm. The stems are erect, but they can also occupy a "lying position", as they branch strongly. This allows limnanthes to fulfill the role of a ground cover culture. Most of these plants are attractive due to their beautiful foliage, while limnanthes has flowers in the foreground. Small, 3 cm in diameter, they appear on the stems in such an amount that sometimes they completely cover the foliage. Moreover, each individual bush can occupy a conditional circle with a diameter of 45 square meters. cm.
The flowers - 5 petals each, exuding a sweet aroma that haunts butterflies and bees. The traditional color is like fried eggs, but there are varieties of exclusively yellow or white colors, less often pink or in the form of different shades of strokes. The first buds open in June, flowering ends in late autumn. Leaves - openwork feathery, light green. Seeds ripen in August. Limnantes is not afraid of lungs, up to -3 ° С, frosts.
Despite the fact that the name of the flower clearly indicates its adherence to moisture, it does not like to grow on marshy soil. In nature, limnanthes is found in mountain valleys, where increased humidity is typical for winter and early spring, however, the flower growing season always occurs in the driest months with rarely falling rains, and these conditions are quite satisfactory. Therefore, it will be a mistake to allocate limnantesa in the garden or summer cottage area of the place where the water stagnates for a long time.
Varieties of limnantes with photo
This flower does not differ in great species diversity. In Russian specialized stores, Douglas limantes is usually represented by varieties: limnius Lucia and limnantes Solnyshko. Both that, and another - classical "egg" coloring. Single inflorescences are formed in the axils of the leaves. Flowering continues all summer.
Among other rarer varieties:
- Limnantes Nivea. It is found in the natural environment in northern California, in the highlands. The flower has delicate white petals.
In nature, Nivea grows in coastal mountains in northern California.
- Limnantes Rosie. It is found in nature in California valleys. A characteristic feature of the flowers is pink veins on a white background of petals.
Limnantes Rosie tends to grow in wet meadows near streams
- Limnantes Sulfria. Prefers coastal areas near San Francisco. The petals of this rare variety are fully yellow.
The second name of the limantes of Sulfria - meadow foam, pennik
- Limnantes Striata. Found in the wild in Sierra Nevada, in wet meadows. In the color there are yellow and white colors. A distinctive feature is a highly branched stem.
Limnantes striata considered endemic at home
- Limnantes Alba. A native of California, found in Russia. In the natural environment he prefers meadows, therefore he received the name "meadow pennik". The flowers are white, the stems reach a length of 30 cm. The plant is used to make cosmetic oil.
The properties of the Alba variety allow it to be used in the manufacture of cosmetics
- Limnantes Maconey. It is found in Canada, in the province of British Columbia, but is so rare that it is included in the register of plants that are threatened with complete extinction.
Role in landscape design and applications
Lymantheses are actively used by landscape designers to decorate suburban areas. Compact bushes, generously strewn with flowers, are indispensable on lawns, flower beds, near asphalt paths. The plant is suitable for alpine hills, rocky gardens, borders, where he usually takes the place "in the forefront" of the composition.
Limantes looks good in various containers - tubs, pots, original designs made from car tires or baskets. In hanging planters, pots and wide flowerpots, the plant is grown as an ampelous culture. Many options allow the designer to experiment, design with limnantesy not only the site, but also balconies, verandas, terraces.
- Low grades of limnantes can be used to decorate paths
- Also, the flower is good in complex plantings.
- Limnantes Alba can be combined with climbing roses and ampelous plants
- Limnantes in a group planting should be placed taking into account the height of the variety
- Douglas limnantes also looks good among non-flowering plants
- Another successful combination - limnantes and nemophiles
- Harmoniously looks limantines with poppies and forget-me-nots
- Also, planting limnanthes look good and without any additions
- Orange limantes will become a bright accent of the garden
The plant is used both in single plantings, and in the neighborhood with other crops. On the flower beds, the best partners are:
- dwarf phlox,
- large daisies
The designers consider the most successful color scheme to be a combination of white-yellow limantes with bright purple, blue, burgundy and red colors.
How to grow from seeds: step-by-step instructions, tips, secrets
Like other annuals, limnanthes is grown from seeds - they are sown in open ground (on flowerbeds, in outdoor flowerpots) or seedlings are pre-grown.
Most often we sell the seeds of limantes Lucius, the Sun and without a specific name
If the first planting option is chosen, the soil is first prepared for the seeds. It is better if it is turfy or leafy in combination with sand. To improve fertility, adding humus just before sowing will not hurt. The selected area is loosened and moistened. Then make holes with a depth of 2 cm at a distance of 10-15 cm from one another. This will allow in the future to get a solid floral carpet.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
3 seeds are lowered into each well, bearing in mind that not all of them will germinate - sellers of seeds do not give a 100% guarantee on this.
In the following days, the state of planting is monitored: so that the seeds sprouted, the soil should not dry out. If everything is done correctly, the sprouts will break out of the ground in 2 weeks.
As for the sowing dates, for the central regions of Russia this is the second half of May. But, since year after year is not necessary, it is necessary to focus on temperature indicators: for germination of limantes, the soil must be warmed up to +10, + 15 ° С.
Those summer residents who decide to speed up the process by sowing seeds in April should take care of their protection. It can be, for example, several layers of spunbond or lutrasil stretched over a flower bed. Shelter can not be removed even after emergence, and watering through it. It is important to wait until the warm weather becomes stable, then remove the protective material.
How and when to plant seedlings
Limnantes seedlings can be planted even before flowering
The second option, with the preliminary cultivation of seedlings from seeds, of course, will require additional efforts, but it will give a guaranteed result. Sowing seeds in late March or early April, you can get strong, viable seedlings already with buds (!) And plant them on flower beds in May by transshipment.
To avoid labor-intensive and unsafe picking for young plants, it is desirable that each bush initially grows in a separate container (for example, in a plastic glass). Here's how to grow seedlings step by step:
- Take small "individual" containers and a deep pallet in which they can be placed.
- Fill the tanks with fertile soil.
- 3 seeds are placed in each, deepening them by 1 mm.
- Water the soil with a solution containing Zircon or Epin growth stimulants (its temperature should be approximately + 20 ° C).
- The pallet is covered with a protective material such as spunbond.
What is required for successful seed germination? A sufficiently warm room (temperature -2 ° C the future plant does not withstand), constantly moist, non-stagnant soil (it is therefore more convenient to pour water into a pallet). There is no need in lighting until the shift has begun. But when the sprouts appear, it is better to place the pallet on a light windowsill, and if the weather permits, take it out onto the street to harden the plants.
Attention: seeds sown at home germinate faster than in open ground, almost 2 times - seedlings appear already on days 5–7.
Limnantes has a secret that will please summer residents. This plant propagates well by self-sowing. Therefore, after working on the plantings one spring, next year you can expect that the flower will do the hard work for you - the flower beds and lawns will again be decorated with this pretty plant.
As for purchased seeds or collected independently by the gardener, their shelf life is usually 3 years.
Tip: in June, experienced flower growers re-sow seeds, this extends the period of full, lush flowering to the very frosts.
What kind of care does the plant need?
Limnantes is a famous honey plant, therefore bees especially love it
Limnantes is not capricious: it is suitable for almost any land (sandy, slightly alkaline, slightly acidic, heavy loam) and minimal maintenance. What can interfere with growth and flowering? Lack of sunlight and problems with water (a golden mean is needed in this matter - excessive dryness of the soil and excessive waterlogging are also harmful for the plant).
Here are some suggestions for care:
- if the plantings began to be obscured by overgrown shrubs and trees, their branches should be trimmed;
- mulching (with sawdust, straw), performed shortly after transplanting the seedlings, will protect the roots from possible frosts, and limnantes itself from weeds and overdrying the soil;
- watering should be regular (especially in the heat), you can use a stationary water spray;
- dried flowers should be removed - this will give the plants a neat appearance and will become an incentive for the appearance of new buds;
- The splendor of flowering is facilitated by the introduction of complex fertilizers once a month.
As for pests and diseases, this is not the most serious problem for limnanthes, its "immunity" is strong. However, due to stagnation of water, the bush can still be affected by the fungus. If this happened, the “victim”, alas, will have to get rid so that the surrounding plants do not get sick, and carry out a fungicide treatment.
Limnantes is able to satisfy the most demanding tastes: the abundance of buds of life-affirming flowers - sunny yellow and impeccably white - make the site attractive almost all summer. It is important that the plant’s own “energy” is supported by competent care and regular care of the person for planting.