Leek: how to properly prepare and plant seedlings in the ground
Leek is an amazing plant with a huge amount of beneficial properties. In connection with the peculiarities of its development, this culture is most often grown through seedlings.
Leek Seedling Preparation
To get high-quality and healthy seedlings, you need to familiarize yourself with the rules for preparing seeds and the basic requirements for caring for young shoots.
Preparing seeds for sowing
- Disinfection. Place the seeds in hot (+ 48 ° C - + 50 ° C) water for 15–20 min, and then for 1-2 min in cold water. Then remove and dry.
- Germination. At the bottom of the plate, place a piece of settled fabric (cotton or matting is good), put seeds on it and cover with a second piece of the same moistened fabric. Put the workpiece in a warm place for 2 days. During this time, the fabric must be kept moist.
In order for leek seeds to sprout better, it is advisable to sprout them before sowing
Sowing seeds in the ground
It is advisable to grow seedlings of leek in individual containers. Peat pots or cassettes with a volume of 100-150 ml and a depth of at least 10 cm are well suited for this purpose, since the leek roots need a lot of space. If you want to use a common tank, then it should have the same depth.
- Make holes in the containers and pour a layer (1–1.5 cm) of drainage material (fine gravel will do).
- Fill containers with soil. To prepare it, mix in equal parts turf, humus and peat, add 0.5 parts of sand, and then moisten.
- Prepare recesses for sowing:
- In pots, make holes 1-1.5 cm deep.
- In the general box, make grooves 1–1.5 cm deep at a distance of 5 cm from each other.
- Place the seeds in the ground:
- Sow 1–2 seeds in 1 hole.
- Sow the seeds into the grooves at a distance of 5-7 cm from each other. On 1 place, you can also put 1-2 seeds.
- Sprinkle the seeds with a layer of dry loose soil or sand with a thickness of 0.5 cm.
- Cover the crops with a film or plastic bag and place in a warm (+ 22 ° C - + 25 ° C) place with moderate lighting.
To ensure the best conditions for crops, boxes can be covered with foil
As a rule, the first shoots appear 7-10 days after sowing. As soon as this happens, remove the film and place the containers in a bright place. So that subsequently the plant does not go into the arrow, it is required to observe the temperature regime. Hatching sprouts should be kept during the week at a temperature of + 15 ° C - + 17 ° C in the daytime and + 10 ° C - + 12 ° C at night, and then at a temperature of + 17 ° C - + 20 ° C in the daytime and + 10 ° C - + 14 ° C at night until seedlings are planted in the ground.
In addition to observing the temperature regime, there are several more rules regarding the cultivation of leek seedlings.
For irrigation, it is recommended to use only soft water - melt, boiled, rain or settled for at least a day.
- Lighting. Daylight hours should last 10-12 hours, so if necessary, illuminate the seedlings with a fluorescent lamp installed at a distance of 50 cm. In addition, try not to expose the seedlings in direct sunlight.
- Watering. Conduct moderate watering, trying to water the seedlings under the root (for this purpose you can use a spoon or syringe). Also, after each watering, gently loosen the soil to avoid crusting.
- Undercutting. Trim the seedlings regularly so that their length does not exceed 8–10 cm.
- Top dressing. Feed the leek every 2 weeks with this mixture: ammonium nitrate (2 g) + potassium chloride (2 g) + superphosphate (4 g) + water (1 l).
- Thinning. If you planted 2 seeds per hole, then when the shoots grow a little, carefully remove the weaker one.
- Pick If you sowed seeds in a common box and the plantings turned out to be dense, then you have to pick, when the plants have 2 true leaves.
- Prepare containers with a volume of 100-150 ml, make drainage holes in them and fill them with soil (you can take the same mixture).
- Generously moisten the soil in a box with seedlings.
- Carefully remove the sprout along with a lump of earth.
- Make a hole in the pot, the size of which coincides with a lump of earth, and place the sprout in it.
- Moisten the soil.
In order for the leek to develop correctly, it must be trimmed in a timely manner
Unlike foliage, the roots of the leek need warmth, so it is advisable to put the containers on a piece of polystyrene or drywall.
Leek pick (video)
Planting seedlings in the ground
It is recommended to plant leek no earlier than mid-May, when the temperature is finally established. A week before planting, you need to start hardening seedlings. To this end, take the pots out into the open air first for 3-4 hours, gradually increasing the time. In the last 2 days, seedlings can be left on the street all night.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
You need to start preparing the garden in the fall. For leeks, a site located in an open area with light fertile soils (loamy or sandy loamy soil) is suitable, and groundwater should lie at a depth of 1.5 m from the surface. If the selected area has acidic soil (its main features are light plaque, an abundance of moss or horsetail, and rusty water in the pits), then 7-10 days before the main preparation it must be deoxidized with lime (250-300 g / m2) or dolomite flour (300-400 g / m2).
When planting leeks, it is also recommended to consider crop rotation rules. Good precursors for this crop are legumes, sidrates (mustard, lentils, alfalfa), early potatoes, white cabbage, and tomatoes. It’s undesirable to plant leeks where 4 years before bulb crops grew.
If you do not need to lime the soil, then proceed immediately to its improvement by adding compost or humus (6–8 kg / m2), nitrophosphate (10–15 g / m2) and urea (5 g / m2).
Dig a plot in the spring and form a bed. Gardeners claim that celery grows well on a narrow bed (such a bed has a width of 0.7 - 0.9 m and very wide aisles), but you can do the usual. After you make a bed, 3-5 days before transplanting, sprinkle humus or compost (3 kg / m2) on the surface without digging.
At the time of planting, the leek seedlings must be at least 6–8 weeks old.
It is best to plant leek in cloudy weather, and if the day is hot, then towards evening. The procedure is as follows:
- Level the ground with a rake.
- holes 10–15 cm deep at a distance of 15–20 cm from each other and 30–35 cm between rows (two-row scheme);
- holes 10-15 cm deep at a distance of 10-15 cm from each other and 20-30 cm between rows (multi-row pattern);
- grooves 10-15 cm deep at a distance of 25-30 cm from each other and 40 cm between rows.
- Place the sprouts in the recesses, cutting 1/3 of their roots and leaves. If you prepared seedlings in peat pots, then plant with them, without touching anything.
- Sprinkle with earth without deepening the growth point (the place where the stem breaks into leaves).
- Moisten the soil well so that no air remains around the roots.
Leeks can be planted in holes in a multi-row way
Good neighbors for leeks are carrots, tomatoes, strawberries and cabbage.
Planting seedlings of leek in the ground (video)
Regional features of seedling preparation
If you live in a cold region and you decide to plant leek in your area, then keep in mind that you need to grow it only through seedlings. You need to start cooking it early enough. This is due to the fact that leeks have a long growing season: they need about 6 months to grow and develop.
|Region||Recommended Varieties||Seeding time||Seedling planting dates|
|Central areas||You can plant any: ||Early mid-March||Second half of may|
|Ural||Early ripe and mid-ripening||Early March||The end of May|
|Siberia||Early ripe are preferred||End of February||The end of May - the beginning of June|
As you can see, preparing and planting seedlings of leeks is not difficult, and even beginners will cope with this matter. Sow seeds in a timely manner, carry out the required seedlings care, properly plant it, and you will definitely get a healthy plant and provide yourself with a good harvest.