Laying technology and rules for growing a lawn roll
If we compare the modern cottage and the one that was 30 years ago, then these are two significant differences. On that, Soviet, the sea of beds flaunted, because to provide the family with vitamins in a different way was simply impossible. Today, shops are abundant, which means that you can equip a paradise for relaxation in the country. And an indispensable attribute of the design was a juicy, dense, soft lawn, on which you can lie down, like on a carpet, and enjoy the floating clouds. But in order for the sown grass to please with a beautiful view, at least a year must pass, but you do not want to wait for this. However, there is a simple solution - buy the grown grass in a store. Laying a roll lawn is quite simple, does not require special skills, but after a month you can arrange picnics on it.
Special lawn nurseries are engaged in the cultivation of rolled lawns. The period from sowing seeds to getting the finished lawn on sale is three years. Most often, the seeds of the most resistant and unpretentious herbs are used: the meadow bluegrass and red fescue. In order for the grass to gain density and density, it is grown for two years. During this time, the lawn manages to build a strong root system, which will allow it to quickly take root during transplantation. Only for 3 years, the finished grassy “carpet” along with the roots is cut into layers using special machines and mechanisms. The strips are immediately twisted so that the root system does not dry, and they are transported in bays to points of sale.
Rolled lawn in the store: we check the quality
All bays with grass offered in stores look the same. They are cut into strips two meters long and 40 cm wide. Usually the stems are 6-7 cm long and the root system is more than 2 cm long. One bay has a very noticeable weight of 25 kg.
A quality lawn has the same thickness of turf and grass along the entire length of the roll. This is checked by side cut.
But these parameters are not enough to determine the quality of the lawn. To check if the growing technology was not violated, it is necessary to roll out the bay with a rolled lawn and look through the cut layer from both sides.
Pay attention to the following:
- Are there any weeds among the grass blades.
- How uniform is the grass, are there bald spots (spots where the grass has not grown).
- Look at the rolled bay from the side: the cut-off layer should have the same thickness.
- Grasp the edge of the roll with both hands and pull gently towards you. If the grass yields and begins to lag behind the main layer, then this grass has poorly developed roots. Such material does not take root well, so it is better to bypass it.
- Pick up a piece of roll and take a look at the quality of the roots. They should be tightly interwoven. The fewer gaps between them, the better.
How many rolls will you need to buy?
Do not buy the lawn offhand. If it is not enough, then you have to buy more. The calculation technology is as follows: measure the parameters of the future site and multiply them. For example, length 6 m, width 5 m. Multiply 6x5. We get 30 sq.m. This is the area of your future lawn. If the site is flat, without bends or flower beds, then for accurate roll counting add 5% of the area. Those. to 30 + 1.5 m = 31.5 sq.m. If the future lawn is conceived with bends, paths, and other curvature of the geometry, then 10% is thrown to the area, because the number of waste will increase. Those. 30 + 3 = 33 sq.m.
Knowing the quadrature, we calculate how much you will have to buy grass bays. The area of one roll: 0.4x2 = 0.8 sq.m. So, 1.25 bays will go to the meter square of your site. Accordingly: 2 squares = 2.5 bays. 10 squares will have 12.5 bays, etc.
If you plan to lay a rolled lawn on a site with bends, paths or discounts, then 10% of the waste is added to the area of the future lawn
Preparation of soil for laying
Before you buy grass in rolls, you must fully prepare the future site. For the technology of laying a rolled lawn is such that it is laid on the same day when they were bought, or within a day. The further you delay the term, the weaker the root system will take root. In addition, you have to line the entire rolled lawn with your own hands at once. Only in this case the grass takes root evenly, and the coating will turn out perfectly even.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
Consider what kind of work front you have to complete in advance, before going to the store. Land preparation is a very important stage, it will determine the quality of grass survival. The better you cultivate the land, the faster you can use the lawn. It includes:
Clearing and digging. Preparation begins with clearing the soil from all kinds of garbage. When digging, all the roots of perennial weeds are necessarily taken out. They have such a powerful survival rate that the same dandelion or wheat grass will break through the grass cover, and it will be very difficult to stretch an adult plant with a root.
Creation of a drainage system. The lawn does not like heavily moistened soils, so drainage is arranged on lowlands and in soils with a high clay content. It is done as follows:
- Cut the fertile soil to a depth of 40 cm and take it out in a wheelbarrow, pouring it somewhere nearby (it will come in handy!).
- The finished pit is covered with a gravel-sand cushion: 10 cm of gravel, then 10 cm of sand (sand can be replaced with geotextiles).
- Everyone is carefully rammed.
- The cut soil is brought back and scattered flush with the total height of the entire site.
- It is very convenient to navigate the stretched twine. In the corners of the site, hammer the pegs and pull the rope on them exactly in accordance with the height of the ground. When adding, you will see in which places it is worth raising the soil, and in which - remove excess.
- Fertilizer for lawns is scattered on the ground and slightly raked.
- The finished site must be tightly tamped. This can be done with a homemade roller or a wide board with a flat surface. Check the quality of the seal by stepping on the lawn. If the earth does not crush underfoot, it means that they have compacted well.
Rules for laying rolled grass
When the soil is ready - with a calm soul, go to the store and buy grass. It is best to plant lawns in spring or autumn, when there is enough moisture in the ground, and there is not much heat.
Consider how a rolled lawn is laid:
- They begin to lay the rolls from the part of the site where you stacked them. This will avoid frequent transfers, in which the soil crumbles and the roots are destroyed.
- We put the roll exactly on the corner of the site and unwind in a straight line. The first roll turns out extreme and it is important to stack it as evenly as possible. It is impossible to bend, twist, wrap the weed. If the corner of the flower bed enters the path along the roll, then roll along it, and remove excess grass by cutting with a knife.
- The principle of laying out adjacent rows is similar to brickwork: it is impossible for the rows to match the joints. Those. try to make the joints of the second row in the middle of the rolls of the first row. This will allow the grass to take root more evenly.
- In the device of a rolled lawn there are no overlaps. The rows should be adjacent to each other, like vinyl wallpaper - the denser. Discrepancies of more than 1.5 cm are not allowed.
- The weakest areas of the lawn in survival are edges. Try not to lay them in pieces. Use trimming less than a meter for the middle of the site, and lay the edges in strips of more than a meter.
- After laying the first row, it is crushed using a board. Be sure to stroke the grass with your hand to see if there are pits or knolls under it. If you feel bumps - pick up a piece of grass and sprinkle the ground (or remove excess). After checking, ram one more time.
- When the first row is lined and rolled up - a wooden flooring is laid on it, and the laying of the next rows is made standing on it. So you additionally compact the grass and avoid crushing it with your feet.
Laying a rolled lawn reminds of brickwork by technology: the joints in adjacent rows should not coincide with the joints of the previous
All rolls are rolled only in a straight line, without bends and curvatures. And if there is a path on the way, then an unnecessary part of the lawn is cut with a knife
Do not overlap rolls, otherwise bumps will form. They are laid tightly butt-like wallpaper, with a gap of less than 1.5 cm
If irregularities are found, the edge of the lawn is carefully lifted and a little ground is poured under it, or, conversely, the excess
When the laying of the first row is finished, lay out the second, standing on a wooden board or board, so as not to spoil the fresh grass with your feet
After the rolled lawn is laid, you need to grow it. To do this, the grass is watered for two weeks. Try to keep the soil dry. It is best to use automatic watering with small sprinklers. Also, do not walk on the grass for a month. In extreme cases, use a board or flooring to move it, but remove it immediately. Fresh grass and soil are easily squeezed under the weight of the legs, and your lawn can be dented.
Constant watering of the rolled lawn for two weeks is a prerequisite for its good survival, especially if the weather is warm
Front of work after planting a lawn
In a month you will be able to walk on a beautiful green lawn, but the work does not end there. In order for the grass to survive the winter well, it is necessary to care for it as follows:
- Make sure that weeds do not germinate.
- Carry out the first haircut after 4 weeks, trying to mow only the tops.
- The following haircuts are carried out as necessary, choosing a more convenient height for yourself. But all the mowing is necessarily raked and cleaned.
- Before wintering, the last haircut is carried out so that the grass has managed to grow about 4 cm and with them goes under the snow.
- Watering as it dries. In the absence of precipitation - once every 10-12 days.
- In winter, the lawn is completely cleaned of attacking debris, raking leaves.
If you pay enough attention to the lawn, then in the spring the grass will delight you with a uniform and juicy coating.