Kohlrabi: how to grow a healthy vegetable
The miracle vegetable with the unusual name kohlrabi is still a strange product for many of us. But once you have tasted the flesh of this extraordinary vegetable, you are immediately convinced of its excellent taste. In addition, kohlrabi is very useful for the body. And an experienced hostess will definitely introduce this cabbage into the diet, because you can cook from it not only salads.
The history of the origin of kohlrabi
Cabbage is an ideal product for cooking, as it is subjected to almost all types of cooking. Therefore, the vegetable is unusually popular, and the Cabbage family surprises with a variety of relatives. In Russia, for a long time, white cabbage has been a leader. But on the shelves of supermarkets and in vegetable gardens, amateurs are increasingly seeing different types of this vegetable, and the most unusual among them is kohlrabi cabbage.
Kohlrabi - not often found on our beds
Even in ancient Rome, kohlrabi was extremely popular due to its excellent taste and beneficial properties. It was from there that the miracle plant moved to America and Europe, and then, according to Internet sources, Peter the Great brought an amazing plant to Russia. But, despite the long acquaintance of kohlrabi with our native open spaces, the vegetable was not widely used. In those days, the plant was associated with rutabaga or turnips, which were very popular. And they called kohlrabi “bukhma”, like rutabaga. Even in our time, when the seeds of any plants can be freely purchased in any store, this unusual-looking cabbage is an infrequent guest in our beds.
In the literal translation from German, kohlrabi is a turnip cabbage. And the Italian name is cavolo rapa, meaning cabbage turnip.
Kohlrabi is more like a turnip, not a cabbage
On the bed, kohlrabi looks unusual. Above the ground, a short spherical stem-shaped stem forms. It is decorated with a leaf rosette growing from the top and formed from elongated green leaves. The stem begins to thicken noticeably after the formation of 7 - 8 true leaves, and the ripened stem plant reaches a diameter of 12 - 16 cm.The color of the peel can be varied - light green, pale yellow, raspberry, light or dark violet. But the pulp, juicy and tender in taste, is always white. By consistency, it is dense, crispy. It tastes like a stalk of white cabbage, but without bitterness. On the contrary, a little sweetness is felt.
The peel of a kohlrabi may have different colors, but the flesh will in any case be white
In an overripe stembled, the pulp is coarse, fibrous. The beautiful rounded shape of the fruit stretches, becomes deformed.
The root system of the plant is very developed. From a long, but not thick rod root, numerous branched suction roots depart. The depth of germination of the main root can reach 30 cm. Branching is evenly distributed in the upper soil layer and can cover a space with a circumference of 60 cm.
I always thought that cabbage is an annual plant. But kohlrabi can grow in two years. In the first year, the stembled that is eaten is formed. The following year, a peduncle adorned with white or yellow flowers develops from the apical bud. The fruit is a pod with many small rounded seeds of dark brown color.
The application of kohlrabi is universal. A lot of dishes are prepared from vegetables in cooking - they are fried, steamed, boiled, stewed, pickled. But the most popular are vitamin salads, in which cabbage is used fresh. But you need to eat them as soon as possible, because kohlrabi is an unusually juicy product that quickly releases juice.
Most often, salads are prepared from kohlrabi, not suspecting how versatile the vegetable is.
Speaking of juice. He perfectly established himself as a means of washing in the morning. Frozen juice can bring tired skin to life. The pulp from kohlrabi, ground into gruel, is used in cosmetology as a rejuvenating and vitamin mask.
Kohlrabi juice - an effective tool for facial rejuvenation
Unlike other types of cabbage, Kohlrabi does not eat leaves or inflorescences, but a stem. In addition, the vegetable has good precocity, is resistant to cold and unpretentious.
Benefits and contraindications
Kohlrabi can safely be called a vitamin vegetable. A small content of kcal, in 100 g of their pulp contains only 27, puts the vegetable on a par with dietary products.
Nutritional value - table
|Useful material||How much is contained in|
100 g of product
In addition, an unusual vegetable is simply a storehouse of vitamins, macro- and microelements.
Vitamins, macro- and microelements - table
|PP, E, B5, B6, B1, B2, B9,|
|Potassium, calcium, phosphorus,|
|Manganese, Copper, Iron,|
For the high content of vitamin C (52 ml per 100 g of product or 71%), kohlrabi is called "northern lemon."
Thanks to such a composition rich in nutrients, kohlrabi:
- reduces the likelihood of edema due to the removal of excess fluid from the body;
- normalizes heart and muscle contractions;
- increases the elasticity of blood vessels, reduces blood viscosity;
- enhances intestinal motility and accelerates the removal of toxins from the body;
- stabilizes blood pressure;
- activates natural anti-cancer immunity;
- inhibits the growth of pathogenic bacteria that cause stomach ulcers and caries;
- improves the condition of the oral cavity, strengthens teeth and gums.
Raw vegetables should not be consumed in the following diseases and conditions:
- peptic ulcer disease;
- acute form of pancreatitis;
- hyperacid gastritis;
- individual intolerance.
Super food you haven't tried - video
Species and varieties
Due to the high popularity of kohlrabi in the world, breeders, including domestic ones, are working tirelessly. Thanks to their efforts, gardeners have the opportunity to choose the best varieties for their site.
- Hummingbird Dutch variety, in 2004 included in the Russian State Register. Variety zoning zones include almost all regions of Russia suitable for agricultural activities. Hummingbird is suitable for cultivation in gardens, in home gardens and small farms. Belongs to late ripening varieties. The leaf rosette is semi-vertical, the leaf is medium, green, with a slight wax coating. Petiole is medium, dark purple. Stebleplod dark purple size, elliptical shape of medium size. Weight 700 - 900 g. Characteristic of taste - excellent. Productivity 3 - 4 kg / m².
Kohlrabi Hummingbird - a variety with excellent taste
- Violet. A variety of Czech breeding, included in the State Register in 1995. Late ripe cabbage, from the moment of sowing seeds to the period of technical ripeness, 100-110 days pass. The leaf rosette is semi-vertical, small, with a diameter of 50 to 70 cm. The flat blue-green leaf has an oval shape and ends with a blunt tip. Medium sheet plate. Its surface is slightly bubbled, there is a slight waxy coating. Petioles are light purple, medium length and thickness. A rounded flat stem with a flat top has medium dimensions, a diameter of 6 - 9 cm, the color is dark purple. Weight from 1.5 to 2 kg. The pulp is white, juicy and tender. Taste is noted as good. Productivity 220 - 260 kg / ha. Frost resistant. Zoned in all regions of Russia.
Violetta is valued for its good frost resistance.
- Gulliver. Domestic variety included in the State Register in 2007 and zoned in all regions. Vegetable is great for growing on private farms. The variety belongs to mid-season - from planting seedlings to technical ripeness, 65 - 70 days pass. The semi-vertical rosette consists of medium-sized leaves of gray-green color with a slight waxy coating. Gulliver has a medium sized stembled weighing up to 1.5 kg. It has a rounded shape, the peel is painted in a yellowish-green color. The pulp is of excellent taste. The average yield of 4.7 kg per 1 m².
Gulliver variety has a large stem-fruit
- Sissy. A variety of domestic selection. It was included in the State Register in 2013 and is intended for cultivation in personal subsidiary plots of all regions of Russia. Early ripening, from germination to technical ripeness, only 50-60 days pass. Half-raised leaf socket. The dark gray-green leaf with a slight wax coating is medium in size. The plate is slightly bubbled, with a small dissection and small rare incisions along the edge. Thin petiole is not very long. Stebleplod spherical in shape with a light green peel. The pulp is juicy, white in color, with excellent taste. The mass of the root crop is from 0.54 g. Productivity 3.5 - 4 kg / m².
Kohlrabi sorts Nezhenka - a small stalkbled with an unusual taste
- Kossak. Refers to Dutch breeding. The year of inclusion in the State Register was included in 2000. It is zoned for all agricultural regions of the country. Recommended for cultivation in garden plots, in home gardens and small farms. The variety is late ripe. Large dark green leaves make up a semi-vertical outlet. The leaf plate is medium dissected, with a slight waviness along the edges and an average waxy coating. The ellipsoidal stemblende is crowned with a flat apex. Medium-sized - weight from 400 to 760 g. The peel is yellowish-green, the flesh is white, it tastes great. Productivity 2 - 2.2 kg / m².
Kossak kohlrabi shows excellent yields
- Purple Haze. The domestic variety, included in the State Register very recently - in 2015, is approved for cultivation in all personal subsidiary farms of Russia. Medium early ripening. Semi-straight leaf socket. The blue-green leaf with a slight waxy coating is medium in size. The leaf blade is bubbly, slightly dissected, with smooth edges. Petiole is long, medium thick. The peel of the wide elliptical stemblende is painted in dark purple colors. The pulp is white, with excellent taste, juicy. The weight of the stem from 0.3 to 1 kg. Yield indicators are not bad - up to 4.5 kg / m².
Kohlrabi Serenovy fog - a new variety with excellent indicators of productivity and taste
- Vienna White 1350. The variety was included in the State Register back in 1965, but is still very popular. Belongs to early ripening - from the moment of emergence of shoots and to technical ripeness about 75 days pass. The leaf rosette is small - with a diameter of 35 - 40 cm. The leaves are light green with a grayish tint, smooth, lyre-shaped with a triangular leaf blade. Petioles are thin and long. The stalk is pale green, round or flat round. Its circumference is 7–9 cm, a maximum of 10 cm. The flesh of the stem stalk is whitish with light green stuff. The taste is excellent, delicate and juicy. Productivity from 10 to 24 kg with 10 m². You can get a crop in open and closed ground. Stebleplod prone to overgrowth. Grown in all regions of Russia.
Kohlrabi Vienna White 1350 - time-tested variety
Growing through seedlings
Growing kohlrabi in the seedling method allows you to get an early harvest. And not even one, but several (up to 2 and even 3). That is why the method is very popular. But on the market seedlings of vegetable crops are almost never found. Therefore, connoisseurs of this useful vegetable need to master its cultivation at home.
Dates, variety selection and seed preparation
To be able to harvest during the summer and fall, you need to not only choose the right variety, but also sow the seeds on time.
- The first sowing of seeds is carried out quite early - in mid-March (in 10 - 20 numbers). For early sowing, mainly early ripe and mid-ripening varieties are used. Seedlings are grown in comfortable conditions - in a room on a windowsill or a heated greenhouse. Early sowing time allows you to harvest a miracle vegetable in June.
- The second time, seeds of mid-season and late varieties for seedlings are planted from May 1 to 5. In July, you can collect stems.
- The third wave is sown on June 20 - 25. This seedling will provide a crop in October - November.
These dates are well suited for the climate of the Moscow region. In the Urals and Siberia, sowing dates are shifted by about April 10-15 for early varieties and late April for mid-season. Later varieties are not recommended for cold regions, as they will not have time to form a stembled. In the southern regions, on the contrary, sowing events take place earlier - in early February.
Before planting, the seeds must undergo training that will help them germinate faster and show an excellent harvest.
- Calibration After carefully sorting the seeds, leave the largest.
- Disinfection. First, place the selected seeds in hot water (50 ° C) for 15 to 20 minutes. Then dip them for 1 to 2 minutes in the cold. After cooling for 12 hours, soak in a trace element solution, do not forget to rinse under running water after this procedure. Dry to flow.
- Hardening. For a day, place the seeds in the refrigerator, on the lower shelf, where the temperature is not lower than 1 - 2 ° C.
Before sowing, kohlrabi seeds are sorted and processed
Often in the store you can buy already processed seeds. They are distinguished by a colored shell covering each seed. Such planting material is sown immediately, without prior preparation.
Ground preparation and tanks
Kohlrabi is less demanding on the composition of the soil, unlike its relatives. But for growing seedlings, a light and nutritious soil with pH values of 6.7 - 7.4 is needed. It is best to prepare the soil mixture yourself by mixing peat, sand and turf in equal amounts. The soil from the garden and humus is not recommended for seedlings, since there is a danger of infection with the black leg. For sowing, use oblong-shaped wooden or plastic boxes with a side height of 5 cm.
Step-by-step landing process
- Fill the containers with disinfected soil mix. To do this, pre-spill it with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
Weak potassium permanganate disinfects soil
- In moist soil, make small grooves 1 cm deep (for convenience, you can use a ruler).
Shallow grooves are needed to plant small seeds
- Spread the seeds every 1 -2 cm. The distance between the grooves is 3 cm. Small seeds are easily spread on the ground with tweezers.
Small seeds are easy to spread with tweezers
- Sprinkle a little on top with a substrate and lightly compact.
Sprinkle the seeds with soil
- Cover the container with seeds with polyethylene or glass, put in a well-lit place with an average temperature of 18 - 20 ° C.
Proper care of planted seeds is simple. But only following the rules, it is possible to grow strong seedlings.
- Processed seeds germinate quickly - on 4 - 5 days.
- So that the seedlings do not stretch too much, transfer the containers with it to a cooler room with a temperature of 9 - 10 ° С.
- After 7 - 10 days, return the tank to its former comfortable conditions.
- Choose the most lit place for seedlings so that the plants are stronger. A window sill of the south or south-west direction is suitable.
- During the growth period, seedlings are fed three times. The first time - after the appearance of 3 - 4 of these leaves. Then you need to plan the schedule so that the last feeding took place at a time before planting young cabbage in a permanent place. As fertilizers, use universal mixtures containing nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
- Some gardeners prefer to feed seedlings with the foliar method.
- For the first time, when 2 true leaves appear on a plant, kohlrabi is sprayed with a solution of 1 liter of water and 0.5 tsp. complex fertilizers.
- The second spraying is carried out at the very beginning of hardening, using a mixture of potassium sulfate and urea (1 tbsp. Each) and 10 l of water.
- Watering should be moderate. If the soil is waterlogged, seedlings can become sick. But you can not keep seedlings in over-dried soil.
Processed kohlrabi seeds delight with quick shoots
Kohlrabi does not like this procedure, which injures the root system. If necessary, it is carried out when the first real leaf appeared on the seedling. After it, the tender seedling is restored for a long time. Until the plant takes root, it is first kept at a temperature of 20 ° C, gradually lowering it to 17 ° C during the day and 9 - 11 ° C at night.
In order not to stress the kohlrabi once again, experienced gardeners use a special container with cells, peat tablets or disposable cups for sowing. 2 to 3 seeds are evenly buried in each container. Germinate and care for seedlings, as described above. After the appearance of 3 leaves, the strongest seedling is left, the weak one is plucked out.
Dive kohlrabi cabbage - video
Open bed transplant
Before transplanting into open ground, the seedlings are subjected to a hardening procedure. 2 weeks before the seedlings take a place in the garden, start opening the window in the room more often (but seedlings should not be in a draft). Then, on sunny days, you can put containers on the street, at first not for long, then increase the time spent in the air.
Stop watering one week before transplanting. Moisten kohlrabi liberally just before landing, but no later than 2 hours before it.
The readiness of the seedling to move to the prepared bed is indicated by the presence of 5 - 6 true leaves, which appear when the seedling is 30 to 40 days old. In this crucial period, the threat of freezing frost should already be over, and daytime temperatures should be stable at 12 - 15 ° С. But such weather is only possible in the southern regions. In Siberia and the Urals, the first seedlings must be covered with a film or non-woven material. Under such conditions, young plants can easily tolerate a drop in temperature to -2 ° C, and adults to -7 ° C.
When planting seedlings in the soil early, cover the bed with non-woven material
The timing of planting in open ground directly depends on sowing seeds for seedlings. For kohlrabi, the process of relocation to the main place occurs at the age of 30 - 35 days. And if the seeds are sown on time, then the seedlings are ready for planting in the following periods:
- early varieties are transplanted to the garden from April 25 to May 5;
- seedlings of the second sowing is ready for planting in early June;
- seeds sown at the end of June can be replanted in open ground in early August.
Step-by-step landing process
- On the bed, dig a hole that freely holds the root ball of seedlings.
- Pour a glass of ash, 2 tbsp. l superphosphate and 1 tsp. urea. Mix the fertilizer well with the ground.
- Pour in enough water to form a creamy mass.
- Directly into it and plant the young cabbage, using the method of transshipment, so as not to injure the roots.
- Add a little dry soil on top and tamp. When planting, do not bury the plant more than the level of the previous planting, otherwise the formation of the stem plant will be delayed or the plant will form an inflorescence prematurely.
- Planting scheme for early varieties - 20 - 30 cm between the bushes (you need to take into account the foliage of the plant) and 60 cm in the aisles. For late varieties - 35 - 45 cm from each other and 70 cm between rows.
Feed the plant with liquid mullein 20 days after planting.
When planting kohlrabi, use the transshipment method so as not to injure the roots
For planting, it is advisable to choose a cloudy day or afternoon, when the sun begins to decline. If the weather is sunny the next day after planting, then it will be useful to obscure the seedlings for two days, until it takes root.
Great neighborhood of kohlrabi and beetroot cabbage - video
The best predecessors for kohlrabi will be:
Owners of small areas often practice co-landing. Kohlrabi early ripe varieties will feel comfortable with the above vegetables in one garden. For the same purpose, kohlrabi can be planted after collecting early greens - green onions, lettuce or spinach.
After them, kohlrabi can be grown only after 4 years.
How to grow kohlrabi from seeds in open ground
This method of growing kohlrabi is most often practiced in the southern regions, but if you choose the right variety, then it is quite possible to have time to get a crop in the suburbs. Sowing seeds in open ground begins in mid-June. You can sow earlier in May, but the bed will need to be covered with a film or agrofibre.
Medium-late and late varieties of kohlrabi are most often grown by seed method.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
Kohlrabi loves sunny areas, so try to find a place for the vegetable in the southern or southeastern part of the garden. But later varieties may well endure slight shading.
An unpretentious vegetable is still best grown on loam. If the soil is acidic, it should be leached, otherwise the pulp will be coarse and fibrous. The procedure is carried out in late autumn, simultaneously with soil preparation. To reduce acidity, you need to sprinkle 1 kg of lime-fluff on 1m2 of the earth's surface. The soil should be prepared in advance. In autumn, clear a suitable area of vegetation residues and evenly spread nutrients on the surface - for each m²:
- 1 glass of ash;
- 1 tbsp. l superphosphate;
- 1 tsp urea
- 3-4 kg of manure or humus.
Dig a plot to the depth of the shovel bayonet so that the fertilizer applied is mixed with the soil.
Seeds are prepared for planting in the same way as when growing seedlings.
Seeds are sown in shallow grooves and sprinkled with earth
Step-by-step process of planting Kohlrabi in the open ground
- Level the earth.
- Schedule the rows. To make it smooth, use a rope, stretching it between 2 pegs located at the ends of the beds.
- Use a hoe to dig shallow grooves.
- Spill them with water from a watering can with a nozzle.
- The seed planting scheme in this case is 20 cm apart, so that the growing plants have enough free space for development. You can sow thicker, but in this case you will have to do thinning to avoid thickening of the plantings. Keep a distance of 60 cm between rows.
- Close the seeds shallow - 1.5 - 2 cm, sprinkle with dry earth on top and lightly tamp with your hands.
Growing kohlrabi requires clean soil, so regularly weed. Также не пренебрегайте рыхлением междурядий, эта процедура, благодаря хорошей аэрации корней, способствует вызреванию нежной и сочной мякоти. Проводить её нужно после каждого полива, на глубину до 8 см. Перед началом формирования стеблеплода нужно слегка окучить растение. Но на стадии формировании стеблеплода нужно следить, чтобы земля его не закрывала, иначе его форма будет далека от идеальной. Оптимальный температурный режим для развития растения находится в пределах 17°С.
Посадки кольраби следует содержать в чистоте и регулярно рыхлить на них почву
Watering and feeding
Чтобы корнеплоды получились сочными и нежными, им необходим грамотный полив. Сразу после посадки саженцы увлажняют каждые 3 дня. Как только молодая капуста приживётся (примерно через 2 недели), увлажнения переводят в другой режим — 1 раз в неделю. Процедуру проводите рано утром или после обеда, чтобы капельки воды не спровоцировали ожог листьев.
Кольраби требует постоянной равномерно увлажнённой почвы. Поэтому режим полива придётся корректировать в зависимости от температур воздуха и наличия осадков. Ведь пересушивание грунта, как и его переувлажнение, для растения одинаково неприемлемы. В сухой почве мякоть овоща станет грубой, в переувлажнённой — стеблеплод растрескается.
Полив проводите рано утром или после обеда
Сохранить почву во влажном и рыхлом состоянии поможет мульча.
Сеянцы подкармливают так же, как и выращиваемую рассаду. Кроме этого, можно посыпать землю вокруг кольраби древесной золой, которая не только содержит питательные вещества, но и убережёт молодую листву от слизняков. В период формирования стеблеплода нужно внести фосфорно-калийные удобрения. На нехватку этих элементов укажут листья: недостаток фосфора — мелкие листья, с тёмно-зелёной или фиолетовой окраской; недостаток калия — листовая пластинка покрывается хлоротичными пятнами.
Учитывая способность кольраби накапливать нитраты в стеблеплоде, не перестарайтесь с удобрениями. Если во время подготовки участка в почву были внесены все питательные элементы, то подкармливать растение стоит только на стадии формирования стеблеплода.
Болезни и вредители, характерные для кольраби
Кольраби, относящаяся к семейству Крестоцветных, поражается теми же болезнями и вредителями, что и другие виды капусты.
This disease has a fungal origin and is considered the most dangerous for all members of the family. She is able to hit kohlrabi already at the seedling stage. The most favorable conditions for the development of the disease are acidic soils with a high level of humidity and air temperature above 20 ° C. The roots of the infected plant are covered with pineal growths. Due to malnutrition, kohlrabi lags in growth, the leaves wither first and then die. The root system also does not develop, as a result of which cabbage is easily pulled out of the soil.
The disease is not treated, since its development begins in the roots, and the first symptoms are difficult to detect. The diseased plant should be removed from the garden and burned. The main control measure is prevention, which begins from the moment of seed germination.
- Seedlings are treated with Thiovit, Cumulus or colloidal sulfur. Weakened and wilted plants are immediately removed.
- If the soil is acidic, leaching should be carried out.
- Colloidal sulfur introduced into the soil (5 g per 1 m2) reduces the risk of disease.
- The place where the affected cabbage grew is treated with a Bordeaux mixture.
- For 4 years, you can not plant cabbage in this place.
Kila begins to infect the plant imperceptibly, from the root system
The disease can affect the plant at any stage of growth. But especially often there is a problem during storage of the vegetable. Mucosal bacteriosis affects the leaves or penetrate the stem of the stem. Affected leaves die off, and after them the entire stembleed can die. Excessive humidity combined with high air temperature are ideal conditions for the spread of the virus. They accelerate the development of the disease and damage on the cabbage.
The spread of the disease contribute to harmful insects. To protect kohlrabi from this scourge, seedlings need to be sprayed with Planriz (0.3 l of the working mixture per 1 ha). When the first symptoms appear, conduct treatment with Binoram (0.05 - 0.075 l / ha). For the purpose of prevention, observe crop rotation, fight weeds and pests. Destroy plant debris from the infected area.
Mucosal bacteriosis most often manifests itself during storage
Peronosporosis, or downy mildew
Most often, the disease affects seedlings and crops grown in the greenhouse already at the end of the growing season. Yellow spots appear on the surface of the affected leaflets of seedlings. A light coating of white appears on the back of the sheet. If an adult kohlrabi was infected, then on its lower leaves the dots have a red-yellow color. Gradually affected leaf plate turns yellow and dies. The diseased plant lags noticeably in growth and quickly weakens. The spread of the fungus is promoted by high humidity and thickened plantings.
If an infected plant is detected, immediately remove it from the garden and destroy. Spray the rest of the plants with Ridomil-Gold, which has proven itself in the fight against fungal infections. You can also use Skor, Topaz, Vectra. Copes with the disease and Bordeaux fluid. Spray the seedlings with a solution of 200 ml of 1% mixture per 1 bucket of water, for adult plants mix 500 ml with the same amount of water. To prevent the emergence and spread of the pathogen, treat the seeds with Planzir. Follow the watering regime and timely thin out plantings.
This is how seedlings of cabbage affected by pyronosporosis
Pests love this unusual plant, so their list can be very long, but we list some of the most dangerous:
- cruciferous and wavy fleas;
- cabbage fly;
- petiole mosquito;
- cabbage aphid;
- turnip and cabbage whites.
How to recognize a pest - photo gallery
- Cruciferous flea eats leaf juices, which leads to their drying out
- Cabbage fly larvae gnaw the flesh of the stem and stem from the inside
- Petiole mosquito is especially dangerous for kohlrabi at the seedling stage
- Sucking juices from the leaves of kohlrabi, leads to the fading of the stems
- The kohlrabi is harmed by the not well-known whitetail, but its caterpillar eating the leaves
In the fight against pests, Aktara, Fitoverm and Aktellik have proven themselves well. Each drug is equipped with detailed instructions for preparing the working solution and standards of use. Folk remedies are used for minor lesions. Infusions of orange peels, hot pepper and tobacco chips will discourage pests from the beds. But the treatment will have to be carried out several times in 3 to 5 days.
Prevention includes the following measures:
- weed control;
- crop rotation compliance;
- planting strongly smelling plants on the beds - garlic, onions, coriander.
Harvesting and storage
Connoisseurs of juicy vegetables collect kohlrabi when the stemblender reaches a volume of 10 cm. If the crop is overexposed, the pulp will become coarse and fibrous, and the content of nutrients will decrease.
Pulls, pulls, but cannot pull
For harvesting, choose a dry day. They dig out the stembled with the root and lay it in the shade to dry the vegetable. Then they clean the earth, cut the leaves and roots. In this form, kohlrabi, placed in a perforated bag, is stored in the refrigerator for a month. You can grate the pulp on a coarse grater and put it in sachets. Freezing will extend storage for the entire winter period. If you have a cellar with good ventilation, you can store the vegetable for more than six months. To do this, the dried vegetables are cut off the leaves, but the root is left. Kohlrabi prepared in this way is placed in boxes and sprinkled with dry sand or sawdust. Kohlrabi is stored in boxes at a temperature of 0 - 2 ° C and humidity up to 95%.
For long-term storage, only later varieties are suitable.
A small amount of stem stalk ensures juicy and tender flesh
Reviews about Kohlrabi
In principle, the technology for growing kohlrabi is not much different from growing ordinary cabbage. Fertilize the plant at least twice a season and water it regularly. And for planting it is better to choose a place where potatoes or tomatoes grew before
Kohlrabi tastes like a stump to taste. I prepare salads with carrots and apples; with fresh cucumber, garlic and dill. And you can stuff it with minced meat and bake in the oven.
It’s good that only kohlrabi turns out - this one grows by itself, only have time to collect on time so that it does not stop. And neither fleas do much harm to her, nor caterpillars. By the way, I did not see any caterpillars on it.
I like kohlrabi cabbage. Very fast growing. Almost all summer can be used as food.
Kohlrabi, we plant with an interval of two weeks during the summer until August, through seedlings. Then there will always be fresh, juicy not overgrown. But the last one is already removed late, it grows very large, but not roughened. Looks by the autumn the heat is already subsiding and it is not rude.
I like kohlrabi Vienna, Russian size and Korist. The latter is liked most of all, this kohlrabi variety is generally without fibers.
Despite the fact that kohlrabi is an infrequent guest in our gardens, there are more and more fans of this vegetable every year. It is not difficult to grow this unusual plant and it will not take much place. But how unusual, but beautiful this cabbage looks in the garden! Especially if you grow varieties with multi-colored coloration nearby.