How to transplant Kalanchoe, including if it blooms
Kalanchoe is a popular tropical plant that attracts plant growers with both flowering and its healing properties. Due to the fact that the root system of the plant grows rapidly, over time it will be necessary to transplant the Kalanchoe into a larger pot. But not all owners of Kalanchoe know the intricacies of caring for their green doctor and the rules for transplanting it.
Features of the content of Kalanchoe at home
In most cases, Kalanchoe is a flowering plant. But some species do not have flowers or bloom very rarely, for example, Kalanchoe Felt, Kalanchoe Laciniata. Flowering and non-flowering species of Kalanchoe require the same growing conditions.
Kalanchoe can bloom from the beginning of winter to the end of spring
Watering a plant
Watering is carried out once every three days. Between watering let the soil dry.
How to determine if the ground is dry or not? Place your finger on one phalanx in the ground, if the ground is dry - it's time to water the Kalanchoe.
More often (every other day) it is watered only in the hot season, and in winter it is watered less often - once every 10-14 days. When watering Kalanchoe, adhere to the rule: it is better to undersaturated than to overfill. The plant is afraid of high humidity. Spraying is also not recommended.
Temperature and lighting
The favorable temperature in summer should be 23–25 ° C, and in winter - 12–16 ° C. Kalanchoe can withstand temporary cooling to 10-15 degrees, but at a temperature below 5 ° C will die. A home doctor will easily transfer the heat - during this period, water it more often (every other day). Place the flower pot with the plant on the east or southeast window .
The formation of the Kalanchoe bush is given special attention. In order for the Kalanchoe to have a well-groomed appearance, in spring, the elongated stems of the plant are cut in half. In the first half of summer, pinch the shoots. After flowering, all wilted peduncles are removed.
The substrate in which Kalanchoe grows is fed once a month. Fertilizers for cacti and succulents are suitable for a tropical resident, for example, fertilizer Agricola or Florovit, which are sold in bottles in gardening stores and have a liquid consistency. Such fertilizers are diluted with water in a certain proportion, which is indicated in the instructions. However, excess fertilizer will destroy Kalanchoe. In winter, feeding is stopped.
Transplanting to another pot
Pot is better to choose a ceramic, as it does not retain excess moisture
How to choose a pot for transplant
Initially, for a transplant, you need to pick up a container 2 cm larger than the previous one. Choose a ceramic pot - it does not trap excess moisture.
You can learn about how to make an original decor item out of a plain tile from the material: dekor / dekorirovanie-cvetochnyx-gorshkov-svoimi-rukami.html
What land is suitable for Kalanchoe
Ideal proportions for the soil: 4 parts of peat, 2 parts of turf land and 1 part of coarse river sand. In addition, for planting Kalanchoe, soil for succulents is suitable. Take care of good drainage using expanded clay or crushed brick.
When is it better to transplant Kalanchoe
Due to its rapid growth, undemanding Kalanchoe feels the need for an annual transplant. It is important to remember: it is better to transplant a Kalanchoe bush in the spring after the flowering period ends.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
Features transplant after purchase
After the purchase, Kalanchoe is supposed to be transplanted, since for sale it is placed in universal soil, which is unsuitable for such plants. The transplant should be done immediately, unless the plant is in bloom. It is necessary to remove the Kalanchoe from the pot, gently brush off the store soil from the roots in order to completely free them from the "wrong" soil. And only then transplant it into a new substrate.
Kalanchoe must be transplanted immediately after purchase
How can transplant Kalanchoe during flowering
Transplanting causes a plant stress, especially when Kalanchoe has directed all its energy to flowering. Therefore, a flowering plant is not recommended to transplant. An exception is a Kalanchoe transplant after purchase, when the green healer is carefully transplanted using a transshipment method, trying to disturb the roots of the plant as little as possible.
- Pour water on the ground and tap the pots on the walls so that the ground moves away from the tank.
- Prepare a pot for handling the purchased plant.
- Be sure to put drainage at the bottom of the pot.
- Remove the plant from the pot and transfer as is in another pot.
Transplantation is used if the plant is in the flowering stage.
- Fill empty spaces with prepared soil. Try not to crush the earth. Slap along the side walls of the pot - the earth itself will settle.
- When the pot is filled with earth, place it on the windowsill.
- For a couple of days, protect the transplanted Kalanchoe from direct sunlight.
- Do not water 3-4 days. Then watering is carried out as usual.
Material about home care for Decembrist can also be useful: rastenija / dekabrist-uhod-v-domashnih-usloviyah.html
In other cases, all manipulations with the flowering bush should be postponed until the end of flowering. Until then, create your pet comfortable temperature conditions, timely watering and good lighting. The first transplant of Kalanchoe into a wider capacity is best done in the spring, when flowering is over and the plant begins to gain strength for further development.
How to plant several Kalanchoe that grew in one pot
To plant several plants from the same pot in different capacities, you should spill the soil thoroughly, carefully take out the lumps of earth entwined with the roots from the pot and, unbinding the Kalanchoe roots with your fingers, separate the plants from each other. Next, we transplant the plants according to the algorithm below.
General Transplant Algorithm
- We select the appropriate capacity.
- The pot intended for transplantation is thoroughly washed with soap and scalded with boiling water.
Add drainage to the bottom of the pot before planting
- We put drainage at the bottom of the pot, for example, expanded clay. Pour a drainage layer at about 1/4 of the height of the tank. This is done so that the roots of Kalanchoe do not stagnate in water. We prepare a mixture of soil.
- On top of the drainage, pour a layer of soil about 2-3 cm and slightly compact it.
A layer of soil is added to the pot over the drainage.
- Water the flower abundantly.
- Remove the plant from the pot as follows: turn the pot over, grasp the Kalanchoe stalk with your fingers, gently patting the side of the pot, pull the plant with a lump of earth.
It is necessary to extract a plant from a pot together with a lump of earth
- Using your fingers, carefully clean the roots of the ground. Rinse them under running water.
- Inspect the root system.
- Remove dried and rotten roots without injuring healthy roots.
- Place the flower on the ground so that the root of the neck is just below the edges of the pot.
- When planting, compact the soil not with your fingers, but by tapping the pot wall.
- Add land if necessary.
- Water the transplanted bush.
Video: transplanting Kalanchoe
And also, you can grow a gerbera on your windowsill. You can learn how to do this from the material: rastenija / gerbera-komnatnaya-uhod-v-domashnih-usloviyah.html
Features of post-transplant care
If all conditions are met, Kalanchoe will transfer the transplant without problems. However, after a transplant, the plant acclimatizes for a couple of days. At this time, the bush should be protected from bright sunlight, try to maintain the optimum air temperature for it, not to water for 3-4 days - during acclimatization it is especially important to prevent waterlogging of the earth .
Problems arising after transplantation and their solution
- Kalanchoe does not bloom. One reason is that the pot is too large. For growing plants, pick up small tight pots. Excess fertilizer can also affect the flowering period of Kalanchoe.
- Wither and yellow leaves. Perhaps the roots were damaged during the transplant. In any case, after the transplant, the amount of soil has increased, and the roots need time to get used to the new volume, so you should water the Kalanchoe a little less often.
Kalanchoe can be grown by any grower, even those who sometimes forget about caring for their green pets. However, this does not mean that the plant does not require care at all. Timely and correctly performed Kalanchoe transplant will help to ensure that the green healer will not only benefit you, but also decorate your home.