How to plant tulips in spring so that they can bloom
Bright tulips will make a luxurious flower bed out of the simplest flowerbed. But the ability to plant them in the winter is not always the case. Do not be upset. Planting tulips in spring, as well as other bulbous flowers, is quite possible. If carried out correctly, then colorful caps will decorate the infield already this season.
Is it worth planting tulips in spring
In the spring, those tulips that survived dimmer in the ground bloom profusely
Most often, these cold-resistant bulbous plants go for wintering under a layer of soil. This is done in September-October. During the winter, tulips accumulate strength for abundant and continuous flowering in the spring. But it is possible to land the handsome men in March and April.
In cold regions, and without distillation in pots, they will bloom only the next year: the flower bud should mature.
When pre-planted in pots, or if the temperature of the soil allows the bulb to acclimatize, green pets will delight in blooming this season.
When spring planting of tulips immediately in the open soil, it is important to choose the right location for them. A flower bed with oriental beauties should be protected from the wind, well-lit and warmed by the spring sun. This will accelerate their growth and allow you to gain strength for rapid flowering.
Compared with the “winter” tulips, those planted in the spring will not bloom so richly and abundantly, and the timing of the appearance of bright hats will be slightly late. But this has its plus: the flowerbed will remain magnificent for a long time. Flowers planted in spring will replace autumn ones.
Dates: general, according to the lunar calendar and in different regions
Bulb planting in the spring is carried out as early as the climate allows. The best option would be to plant onions in special containers and pots for distillation even on frosty days, and when the temperature in the street stabilizes - move to a permanent place of residence.
So that the first sprouts do not die, the soil temperature at a depth of 10 cm should be at least 9 degrees. It is worth considering the selected variety - there are early and late options.
The climate in different areas also affects the planting time:
- In the southern regions, in the Kuban, with good weather and “February windows”, tulips can be planted in February-March.
- In the middle lane, in the suburbs, the optimal time for landing is April.
- In regions with harsh climates, the schedule will move forward a month.
The main condition is to complete the planting of tulips before the beginning of July; in summer it cannot be carried out.
Favorable dates for planting tulips in 2018 according to the lunar calendar:
- February 23, 24;
- March 21, 22, 23, 25, 26;
- April 17, 18, 19, 22, 23, 24;
- May 19, 20, 21.
What types of planting exist: in pots and in open ground
Potted tulips look stronger than those planted in open ground
Not sprouted, quality onions can be planted in the spring in several ways:
- In small containers for distillation for subsequent transplantation into open ground. Such tulips will bloom this season, but later than those planted in the fall. They will need time to root.
- To the open ground in the flowerbed when the soil reaches the desired temperature. Abundant flowering should be expected next spring.
- In large pots without further transplantation. Decorative flowerbeds can be placed on the balcony, patio or veranda. The probability that tulips bloom is high.
Perhaps growing flowers in a greenhouse. But this is often done in order to implement them.
How to prepare the material for planting
Bulbs for spring planting can be purchased in a specialized store and on the market, or harvested in the fall, collecting from flower beds. Store planting material in a cellar or basement. Prior to this, the onions need to be dried, the excess earth removed and folded in single-layer wooden crates. Such blanks are stored at a temperature near zero and good ventilation. Then the bulbs will save vitality, but will not germinate.
Clean onions can also be stored in the lower compartment of the refrigerator. This will harden future tulips and preserve their viability.
To accelerate the germination of the material for planting should be prepared:Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
- If the onions were purchased recently, they need to be transferred to the lower compartment of the refrigerator at least for the night. Hardening will strengthen resilience.
- In the morning, for half an hour, you should lower the future plants in a weak solution of potassium permanganate or use another prophylactic against diseases and pests.
- Immediately before planting, you need to clean the planting material from hard husks and inspect for rot and other damage. If this is not done, diseased plants will infect healthy neighbors in the flowerbed.
Antiparasitic treatment is needed to eliminate pest larvae from the surface of the bulbs. You can also use herbal remedies, for example, celandine infusion. This treatment strengthens the planting material and accelerates the process of acclimatization in the open field.
Material about planting and growing freesia can also be useful: rastenija / freziya-posadka-i-vyrashhivanie-v-domashnix-usloviyax-i-otkrytom-grunte.html
How to plant in pots and open ground: step-by-step instructions
If you strictly observe the technology of planting, even in the spring you can achieve abundant seedlings and friendly flowering.
Proper planting of flowers in the ground
Lay the distance between the bulbs 10-12 cm
Those who decided to plant plants immediately in the open ground, must first determine the ideal place of residence of tulips. This is especially important during spring planting: the sooner the plant takes root, the greater the chance of a quick flowering. A flower bed is erected in a well-lit, sun-warmed place. But the rays must lie down so as to cover the entire surface evenly. Otherwise, the stems will reach the source of light, become curved and thin.
When choosing a site, you need to focus on the composition of the earth - light sandy loamy soils or loams should be preferred. Heavy soils inhibit growth and flowering.
Further steps for planting bulbs are not difficult:
- Soil for landing needs to be prepared. As soon as the snow cover has melted, the ground has thawed, it should be dug up to the depth of a shovel bayonet. So rhizomes will be easier to go deep into the ground, and acclimatization will accelerate.
- Add organic fertilizer. Feeding can be chosen of any type. Only fresh manure is not recommended - it can lead to rotting of the roots or fungal infections. If the soil is light, you can improve its composition with mineral fertilizers. This will accelerate germination and provide abundant flowering.
- Seeds must be distributed evenly throughout the flower bed. A distance of about 10 cm should remain between future tulips.
- On the ground, remove furrows or dig holes, water them.
- In the prepared soil, lay the onions with the tip up and sprinkle with fertile soil.
- Align the surface of the flower bed with a rake and water again. Double watering allows the bulbs to condense in the soil, which accelerates their germination.
The landing depth is determined by the size of the onions. Large seed is planted in a hole with a depth of more than 10 cm, and sometimes 5 cm are enough for small onions.
Experienced gardeners estimate the depth of the eye - it equals three sizes of the bulb.
This point must be taken into account, because the too deep placement of small onions will slow their germination, and large ones will come to the surface and dry out.
Pot planting tulips
Potted tulips - an incredibly beautiful sight
Here, first you need to decide - will tulips be grown for distillation or will remain in decorative pots for the entire flowering time. In the first case, any pots are suitable, in the second you need to choose low and wide, made of ceramic. Plastic options are cheaper, but they do not allow air to pass through to develop the root system.
The following stages of planting are similar, at least for the forcing method, at least for permanent rooting in decorative flowerpots. It is required:
- Fill the bottom of the container with pebbles or small pebbles by an average of 5 cm. The drainage layer prevents stagnation of water and prevents rhizome decay.
- Fill the pot so that there is still 13 cm to the top with a special substrate. It consists of a mixture of leafy, garden soil and humus in equal proportions with a small percentage of sand and peat material. Tulips prefer slightly alkaline soil. You can buy in the flower shop a mixture suitable specifically for these flowers.
- Spread the seed on a soil layer, holding the bulb with the pointed end up. The preferred distance between the flowers is 10 cm.
- Cover the bulbs with soil so that 2-3 cm remain to the edge of the pot.
Then you need to put the pots in a sunny place - on a window or a glazed balcony. In the fall, planting is done similarly, but the pots are cleaned for three months in a room where it is dark and cool.
Proper care of young flowers after planting
Before the first sprouts of the planting, you need to water regularly. Irrigation regime depends on the amount of natural precipitation and soil composition.
After germination, watering continues. Pour water only under the root so that moisture does not get on the leaves and stems. At the same time, plants should be fed with potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizers.
When flowering is completed, wilted leaves must be removed. The stems are cut when they turn yellow. In autumn, you need to dig up the bulbs, dry and send for wintering. But if the climate allows, they can be left just in the ground, and the flowers will sprout perfectly next year.
Correct spring planting of bulbs leads to the fact that they bloom with bright buds already this season. More clearly planting tulips in the ground can be studied in the video
Planting tulips with bulbs in spring: video
Those who can’t decide on the method of planting are recommended to start with potted plants, because it’s a little easier to follow them, and it will be easier to move a blossoming miracle if necessary.