How to plant cherry on a plum
If we touch on the subject of stone fruits, then plum and cherry immediately come to mind as one of the most common cultures of this family. Cherry is good in its own way, and plum in its own way. Each stone fruit has its own plus. But what if you combine the two cultures and get an improved plant? Why not. What qualities will a cherry acquire if it is placed on a plum branch? In order not to fantasize about the cosmic properties of plum-cherry, let's methodically analyze what and how. And is it possible at all.
Is it possible to plant cherries on a plum
Of course, for an inexperienced gardener the question arises - is it possible to plant cherries on a plum tree? Is such a vaccine possible and what will be the result? And these are fair questions. The answer will be unambiguously positive: it is possible to plant cherries on plums. And even vice versa. Both of these trees belong to the stone fruit family, that is, they are akin to each other.
It looks like a plum-cherry hybrid
You can plant cherries on cherries, cherry plum, bird cherry, and thorns. Cherry plum is also called Russian plum, it tolerates frosts well and can give cherry good qualities. But unfortunately, the cuttings of cherries and cherries on it rarely take root. If you want to mix bird cherry and cherry - choose the Antipka species, it is the closest relative to cherry. The turn accepts the graft well, and it is not surprising, because this spiny plum is also fellow cherry.
According to the appearance of the hybrid, a dark mixed color and an average size between plum and cherry can be noted
There are a number of nuances that you should know before performing the procedure.
You can plant plants of the same family to give new properties
Video: how to get a good result from vaccination
General information about grafting cherry plums
First of all, it is worth noting that the grafting of two plants is carried out to obtain a healthier, stronger (for example, more winter-hardy or more resistant to disease) tree. For example, if you decide to plant part of the cherry on the plum, then the latter should be zoned. Thus, the scion will acquire properties (adapt) to the climate of the region.
Scion - a plant (in this case, cherry), part of which is grafted onto another plant to obtain new qualities. A stock is a plant to which they are grafted (in this case, plum).
By the way, in this way (grafting) you can propagate not only trees, but also small shrubs.
Let's look at the options that can be obtained as a result of crossing:
- new variety;
- a tree with two kinds of fruits;
- getting an early harvest;
- conservation of species and variety.
You need to know that the grafted cherry in this case is responsible for the quality of the variety and future berries, and plum - for adaptability, nutrition and growth.
How do parts of trees grow together? Cambium is the fabric that will “connect” the stalk of the cherry and the plum shoot. In the course of vaccination, the graft is applied to the rootstock by sections on which the cambium is exposed. Wood juice oozes from it, which will help splicing and the formation of new connective tissue.
Advantages and disadvantages of grafting cherry on a plum
Of course, there are more advantages than disadvantages. Otherwise, such experiments would not have happened, already at the beginning stage, people would have realized the meaninglessness of the action. However, grafting cherries on plums is very common.
Advantages of such crossing:
- The taste is extraordinary: the aroma and juiciness of cherries interspersed with the sweetness and tenderness of plums;
- Improved properties of cherry grafted onto zoned plum;
- The ability to save a variety or species, which for the most part (except for cuttings) dies, dries, does not take root, and so on.
- An early harvest of unusually tasty and unusual berries. You will get the crop much earlier than when planting a cherry seedling in the ground.
Among the shortcomings, only the complexity of the procedure and the high percentage of non-survival of cuttings can be distinguished. And later, of course, such a tree requires considerable care and personal care.
Care involves thorough treatment of harmful insects: aphids, cherry sawflies, moths, etc. And also from the diseases inherent in both cherry and plum, because now you have a hybrid. In addition, do not forget about fertilizers and pruning.
It is worth observing the tree, as it can surprise you a lot with its new properties. Whether it will be tall, spreading, branched - depends on the acquired properties from the plum. And, of course, the character of cherries makes its contribution. All this together will affect the new variety. How to handle it, most likely, you will understand in the process. Features of the tree will create your unique care system.
The experience of amateur gardeners and experienced breeders helps us understand what the pros and cons of the vaccination technique can be.
Video: bought one seedling - planted two!
Best time for vaccination
Mostly do spring or summer vaccination. Although lately, it is surprising, but true, cultivists have begun to practice winter as well. It is difficult to say how effective or not, as there are few reliable results so far.
But since ancient times, mainly breeders use the method of vaccination in the spring. How to catch the best time for the procedure? The most important thing is not to miss sap juice. Please note that it begins when the thawed snow lies, but the earth has already appeared, and the buds on the trees and shrubs are noticeably swollen.
The first thawed spots appeared, and the buds on the trees were swollen - you can be vaccinated
Ways to vaccinate cherries on a plum
It is important to remember that all vaccination methods are more effective in spring.
Experienced gardeners can perform the procedure in-butt (that is, applying a scion to an incision at the side of the plum, or behind the bark).
The rootstock should have about 5 buds, and the scion graft length should be about 25-30 cm, ideally no more than 4 cm in diameter. The rootstock shoot should not be rough, damaged or with growths. On the drain, make a neat cut in the side (as if cutting a little bark inward). In this cut, you need to carefully insert the cut with a notch. On the cherry, a side incision is made so that then the tissues of both trees easily come into contact at the incisions. This is a rather complicated method, as it requires a solid hand and knowledge, therefore it is mainly suitable for experienced gardeners.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
An approximate sample of how to plant plants by bark
This method is ideally applied in early spring at the beginning of sap flow in trees.
Video: how to get vaccinated for bark in spring
Crowning and copying
- Okulirovanie implies grafting a graft with one kidney at the incision site on the stock. A cuticle with a kidney is inserted under the bark into the incision in a cherry seedling. Quite a difficult action, since there is a high probability of not rooting the cuttings.
The oculation is similar to the implantation of a kidney (fetus) inside a plant (a surrogate mother)
- Copying is done without cutting the bark on the sink. A side cut is simply done where the cherry stalk is inserted with the same side cut. The survival rate is high.
Copying is a fairly simple action.
- There is also an improved copulation . In this case, an incision on the scion and stock is made with a step, that is, a zigzag. For the procedure, you need to select necessarily matching shoots of plum and cherry that are identical in diameter. It is proved that this method gives more chances of survival and fusion of tree tissues.
Comparing the two types of copying, of course, the improved one gives more results
After each procedure, regardless of the vaccination method, it is necessary to treat the places of introduction with garden varieties, as well as in the places of bonding or inserting the scion, fix with a cloth or tape.
Video: practical training in the garden
Perhaps this is one of the most common techniques used by gardeners, both experienced and not very. Splitting involves creating a vertical incision in the plum trunk, where the cherry stalk is placed.
Grafting technique step by step
Let's look at the instructions for vaccination in the cleavage. What is the advantage of this method? Firstly, this is a fairly simple way. Secondly, it gives a high percentage of cherry sprouting on a plum.
Step-by-step instructions for vaccination in the split
Obtaining improved cherries with stock qualities is the result of a competent algorithm of actions.
- Grow a young plum as a stock. The best age for the procedure is 1-2 years, the trunk of the tree is about 6-8 cm. It may not be a specially grown plum, but rather a living and flowering young seedling that is planted a year or two ago and feels great. Remember, vaccination is not carried out on a diseased tree!
The vaccine is made only on a healthy tree, preferably not more than 2 years old.
- It is best to vaccinate in the spring. Why? Trees begin sap flow, it is at this moment that the survival of the scion gives high results. Juices easily pass into a stalk planted in a split and feed it like a native shoot. The tissues of the trees are in good contact and fused. Important! Cuttings for spring grafting need to be prepared in the fall! Cut the branches with two or three buds about 10 cm long from the cherry. Before the procedure, carefully cut the cuts after the winter.
Cherry cuttings are prepared in advance - in the fall
- There is also a summer vaccination. You should not try to plant graft cuttings at the end of summer, as the tissues and plums and cherries have already changed, they have become more fibrous. The engraftment is most likely not going to happen. At the height of summer, it is still possible to plant, the main thing is to do it with fresh green cuttings. Do not make too tight cuts, as vaccination in the summer is already difficult. It is generally believed that grafting with fresh cuttings yields fewer results. Mainly due to the fact that in the flowering stage, the stalk cannot simultaneously nourish sprouts and repair wounds.
Summer vaccination involves green scion cuttings
- Vaccination in the split is made with fresh green cuttings in the summer and autumn in early spring. The main thing is to follow the directions. Prepare scotch tape in advance (masking tape, gauze or cloth) and garden var. If the central trunk is chosen as a stock, retreat from the ground about 30 cm. If a side shoot is selected, the distance from the trunk is about 20–25 cm.
Splitting is a more win-win and less complicated way to get vaccinated
- Cleavage should be done on rootstock branches with a diameter of about 5–7 cm. A deep cut (10–12 cm) is made in it in the middle with a sharp knife or a small hatchet. Manipulations with plum are completed.
The cut of the rootstock branch should be clean and tidy, as well as splitting in it
- Take pre-cooked cherry cuttings and make a couple of side cuts of wood. It will turn out a certain wedge. Slices should be equal in length to the depth of the splitting plum.
Two cuts should be made on one side so that the stalk becomes wedge-shaped
- Insert the scion into the split so that the layers (texture) of the wood match. If your stock is several times thicker than the scion, place two or three cuttings in the section.
Carefully place the stalk in the cleft so that the cambial layers of the wood coincide and grow together
- After carefully placing the cuttings in the rootstock, tie the drain with tape or strong fabric along the length of the splinter. And the places where they placed the scion and made a cut - cover with garden var.
To tie the cut points and treat them with garden varieties is important, as this will help the excess juice not to leak out, and the tissues take root faster
So that the splitting does not close while you are making side cuts on the cuttings - leave an hatchet in it or put a screwdriver, a strong wand, etc. It is advisable not to remove the item until you are sure that the cutting is securely and correctly placed.
Video: split vaccination technology from an experienced gardener
Experts say that in the entire vaccination procedure, most of their attention and care should be given to the stock, that is, the plum. You need to choose a healthy and strong tree with a good root system and immunity to common diseases. For example, it may even be a wild plum.
Often it is the wild-growing trees and shrubs that have excellent properties that are so difficult to achieve from cultivated breeding in captivity
In two or three years, "wild game" transplanted to his site. When the tree finally takes root and takes root, it will serve you as an excellent donor for a new variety.
In the grafting of cherries to plums (and generally any fruit trees), it is important to properly harvest graft cuttings.
Video: harvesting cuttings according to the rules
In conclusion, it should be noted that plum is one of the best stocks for cherries. Despite the fact that the procedure itself may seem complicated, scrupulous, requiring skills, certain knowledge, you should try to do it! It is the practice that gives experience, as well as the wonderful fruits of hybrids. The State Register would not have known so many new varieties, if not for the curiosity and resourcefulness of scientists. Vaccination of cherries on a plum takes an honorable place in experimental selection, as it is very effective.