Honeysuckle in landscape design: varieties with photos and their characteristics
Honeysuckle is a beautiful plant, which is in demand in landscape design and just for fruit and decoration of the countryside. Its different varieties differ in appearance, characteristics and other features. Therefore, when choosing this plant, it is important to know its properties, which will allow you to grow the perfect decoration for the garden.
What is a plant and how is it used in landscape design
The honeysuckle plant is in demand among gardeners and is effective in landscape design. This is due to the fact that the greens are erect shrubs or creeping branches. Berries of a red or bluish tint can grow on them, and the tone of the flowers differs depending on the plant variety. However, there are edible and inedible species, which should be considered when choosing a honeysuckle for a garden.
Honeysuckle with vibrant colors adorns the fence and garden.
The bright greens of curly and other plant species are complemented by pink, yellow, white or blue flowers arranged in pairs. The corolla is irregular in shape and divided into five lobes. Thus, the buds of the bush look magnificent and are a noticeable detail on the site.
Curly varieties are in demand for landscape design, but require a support about 2 m high. If the part is larger, the branches will not climb higher and their length can reach 5 - 6 m. Moreover, they easily braid everything around and therefore such varieties are optimal for decoration gazebos, awnings, but grow best in warm climates.
Curly honeysuckle hedge looks unusual and beautiful
Shrub plants that are resistant to cold are often chosen for central Russia. The height of such varieties does not exceed 2.5 m, and they bloom in May. Bright greenery and a variety of shades of buds make bushes a spectacular decoration of the garden. Such plant variants are best planted in a sunny area.
Honeysuckle bushes take up a lot of space and should take enough space for them
All types of honeysuckle bloom beautiful and lush buds. When choosing, you should consider the purpose of the site where the bush will grow. For example, options for the playground with edible berries are safe. Remote areas of the garden should be decorated with varieties with bright colors, but inedible fruits. Thus, the selection of plants is carried out not only from an aesthetic point of view, but also taking into account the purpose of the site, safety and comfort.
Honeysuckle can grow up to 5 m in height and is a common plant in the development of landscape design of a garden or site. This is due to the beautiful brushes of inflorescences, curly or bushy shape, bright greenery and the ability to control the growth of bushes and branches.
For the design of the site, decorative honeysuckle options are optimal. Curly trees are especially spectacular, but the shrubs also look magnificent. In any case, all options for decor are characterized by the following features:
- abundant flowering in spring and summer;
- pronounced pleasant aroma of flowers;
- the ability to give any shape by pruning branches;
- unusual blue fruit;
- good ductility of the plant;
- easy care.
Greens grown for decorative purposes need regular pruning, which allows you to control the growth, shape and direction of the branches. Thanks to this, perennial climbing or shrubby honeysuckle will beautifully complement the site design.
Ornamental plants help decorate arches, arbors, canopies in the garden
Honeysuckle with edible fruits is a good combination of plant beauty and the benefits of berries. A similar option is appropriate in any garden, because bright flowers will decorate the site, and at the end of summer they collect delicious fruits. It is worth placing bushes so that it is convenient to reach the branches for picking berries. For example, plants can be planted near the arbor or next to other fruiting bushes.
The properties and characteristics of the cultivation of this plant are expressed in the following:
- the beginning of flowering occurs in late May or the first half of June;
- berries of a blue shade are saturated with vitamins, but they should not be consumed too much;
- the crown has a spherical shape, and the height of the plant can be from 2–2.5 m;
- growing requires a sunny spot in the garden;
- planting is carried out in early autumn, and honeysuckle grows in different climatic conditions.
The presence of honeysuckle on the plot with edible fruits is optimal if there are children. Useful fruits have an oval irregular shape and a bluish or almost black color. It is important to remember that red and orange berries are dangerous and poisonous, they can not be eaten. This feature is important when choosing a variety of any fruitful honeysuckle.
Blue honeysuckle fruits are edible and healthy.
The choice of one or another option is based on many factors, but if the design of the site is the priority, then it is important to consider the location of the plant. At the same time, optimal conditions must be ensured in which greens will actively grow, and the buds will be as bright and fragrant as possible.
What varieties are suitable for cultivation in different regions of Russia: table
|Ural||Sorceress, Long-fruited, Elizabeth, Raisin, Lapis lazuli, Lenita, Zirconia|
|Siberia||Bluebird, Amphora, Cinderella, Velvet, Bakchara, Pride of Bakchar, Chulymskaya, Roksana, My Joy, Parabel|
|Moscow region||Titmouse, Nymph, Chosen One, Morena, Amphora, Altair, Violet|
|Kuban||Berel, Viola, Penguin, Malvina, Nightingale|
|Altai||Assol, Velvet, Illiad, Salute, Fire Opal, Selena, Narymskaya, In memory of Gidziuk|
|Far East||Kamchatka, Turchaninova, Altai, Tatar, Honeysuckle|
The best varieties of edible honeysuckle with a photo and description
If you plan to plant and grow plants with edible fruits on the site, then you should know the features of the most common species. This will allow you to choose the perfect option, taking into account decorative and useful qualities.
The following varieties of honeysuckle are in demand among gardeners, the fruits of which can be eaten:Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
- The species of the plant Vasyugan is a high and strong bush, resistant to light or severe frosts that occur during spring flowering. The berries of a dark blue color have a sweetish-sour taste, and in the process of ripening only a small amount is showered. From one tree you can collect up to 5 kg of fruits;
The fruits of Vasyugan honeysuckle have a weight of about 1 g
- Cinderella variety is presented in the form of bushes with a height of about 1.6 m and a spherical crown. Oval fruits have a sweet taste and blue color. The plant is convenient both for the design of the site, and for growing and eating berries;
Berries with a pleasant taste make Cinderella honeycomb popular
- Nymph variant - bushes reaching a height of 1.5 m. The fruits are dark blue in color, spindle-shaped, about 2 cm long. The plant has a pleasant and strong aroma, the berries are sweet, and the yield from one bush can be about 3 kg;
The uneven shape of Nymph berries distinguishes this species of honeysuckle
- Kamchadalka type can have a height of up to 1.5 m and a rare crown cone-shaped. The fruits are oval in shape and are often used to make desserts. Berries during ripening do not crumble. The plant is best to bear fruit when growing in a sunny area;
Kamchadalka honeysuckle is characterized by simple care when growing
- Amphora variety has an average ripening period, fruits of a jug-like shape and sour taste. Thick and thick-skinned berries are easy to transport. When growing, you need to place others next to this variety, which will ensure high fruiting;
Blue berries of the Amphora variety have a sour taste
- the honeysuckle The Bakcharsky giant differs from others in large berries, which reach 4-5 cm. The fruits ripen in mid-summer, have tender flesh and small bones. The first fruiting begins 2-3 years after planting. When ripening, it is important to quickly pick berries, as they crumble in large quantities;
Large berries are juicy flesh
- fragrant, sweet and small-sized fruits characterize the variety Slasten. The modern version of honeysuckle bears fruit well and provides high productivity. This makes it popular;
High fruiting characterizes the variety Slastona
- bushy plants of the Rapture variety can reach a height and width of up to 150 cm. Fruits without a bitter aftertaste are sweet and sour, and their size is about 5 cm in length. Cross-pollination is necessary for fruiting. The plant is resistant to disease;
Blue berries are pest resistant
- dessert and sweet-sour pulp of Borelias berries and the plant itself are in demand among gardeners, since this honeysuckle is unpretentious in care. The bushes have a sprawling shape and reach 150 cm in height and about 120 cm in width;
Juicy berries have a pleasant aroma and are rich in vitamins.
Bushy options for honeysuckle are a common option for decoration and a delicious harvest. The bushes are quite compact, but look spectacular on the site. However, they do not require special care.
The popular types of decorative honeysuckle
Decoration in the garden can serve as climbing plants, which also have sweet fruits. Shrubbery options with orange or red inedible fruits are also popular in landscape design. Among those or other species, there are several popular varieties.
Characteristics of decorative options for honeysuckle:
- decorative varieties include the Blue Bird variety, which is characterized by bright greenery, miniature size, a height of 1 m, and unpretentiousness in care. Obtaining fruits is possible only if there are several bushes nearby self-pollinated varieties of honeysuckle. Therefore, the Bluebird can be used if necessary as a decoration of the site;
Honeysuckle cultivation is possible without obtaining fruit.
- Morena's version is characterized by fruits, the length of which reaches 3 cm. The sweet and sour taste of berries, rich aroma, and bright flowers make the plant optimal for decorating the garden. Self-pollinating variety can be planted separately from other bushes;
Morena bushes can be used as garden decoration or for berries
- The Blue Spindle variety is early ripe, forms large fruits, has compact dimensions, which allows it to be planted in a small area. Thin branches, graceful leaves make the bush an optimal element of landscape design;
Oval berries of blue color effectively decorate bushes
- tall bushes of the variety Tomichka has sprawling branches and often such plants are planted in spacious areas. Fruit setting is carried out using the neighborhood of other varieties of honeysuckle;
Fruits quickly crumble upon ripening
- the Violet variety is characterized by bushes, the height of which is up to 1.5 m. The leaves are saturated green, blue berries and flowers up to 2 cm in diameter make the plant beautiful. Large berries weighing about 1.5 g, dark brown branches and unpretentiousness in care distinguish the variety from many others. Ripening occurs in early June;
Large berries are juicy and have a rich color.
- The curly version of Honeysuckle is common and unpretentious in care. Liana-shaped branches with lush flowers allow you to decorate the garden. The plant has red inedible fruits, and the root system is resistant to cooling;
Honeysuckle is convenient for decorating gazebos
All decorative options have an elegant bush shape or are characterized by beautiful weaving around supports. Lanceolate green leaves contrast with bright fruits and make honeysuckle a good decoration in the garden.
Reviews of the most popular varieties
I have 2 varieties “Blue Spindle” and “Cinderella”, they are already 19 years old, and I planted the third grade between them 2 years ago, but I forgot the name. Since there were no berries that year, because the honeysuckle bloomed in January, this is a great harvest of berries. I like fresh berries, especially for a small bitterness, I make jam that looks like blueberry.
I breed my honeysuckle by cuttings. Moreover, in large quantities, because I have a turn for my varieties in the city and the district. The survival rate of cuttings is 95%. Berel with a light spicy bitterness. Kamchadalka and Gerda are sweet. This is all that is in my collection from the list below. I also have Cinderella (the sweetest), Teterevskaya, Chernichka, Roksana, Bee, Fire Opal, Azure, Turchaninova, Filippovskaya, Blue Spindle. All are very sweet, even without signs of bitterness.
3 years ago I planted 3 bushes of honeysuckle cultivar Berel and one - Gerda. Gerda has not yet borne fruit, and Berel convinced me - what is needed! Despite the miniature size of the bushes, they began to produce in the year of planting. Quite a bit, somewhere in a third or half a glass, but still! Winter-hardy, of good taste - it bites quite a bit - such piquancy in taste, the berries do not crumble. I won’t say anything about Gerda, but when I bought it I was guided by the fact that it tolerates Siberian frosts and the taste of berries well - also without bitterness. Hope to try this year.
I grow nine varieties of honeysuckle, two old bushes of unknown varieties, small-fruited, candidates for uprooting. But 7 large-fruited Bakchar varieties are good. These are the Bakcharskaya Jubilee, the Bakcharsky giant, the Daughter of the Giant, Sibiryachka, Yugan, Silginka and Delight. The climate in my lower Volga region is very hot, last summer it was up to +47 in the shade, all the bushes withstood the heat, but the growing season stopped. The berry ripens early, before the early strawberries, the taste for the earliest berries is not bad. First, grandchildren graze, then switch to strawberries, the wife picks berries and freezes, makes raw jam and adds assorted jam. The bushes are the fourth year, the height is up to a meter. Honeysuckle in my conditions is a very slow-growing culture.
Honeysuckle is most popular as a source of delicious berries. If you need to decorate the site, then the curly varieties are spectacular. In any case, it is important to choose an option depending on the region and taking into account the peculiarities of plant care.