Gooseberry varieties Rodnik: not afraid of frost and gives a good harvest
Gooseberries - berry shrubs, jam from the fruits of which was preferred by the Russian Empress Catherine II. So over 200 years ago, a recipe for the famous “royal” dessert appeared. Since then, gardeners have been constantly working to improve gooseberry varieties, trying to get new varieties with sweet fruits.
Description gooseberry varieties Rodnik
Variety Rodnik refers to fruit shrubs with early ripening, which bears fruit from the second year after planting. Ripe fruits are consumed fresh and frozen, and also used to make jam, jams, compotes, marinades and wine.
Gooseberry fruit Spring is distinguished by an exquisite dessert flavor
For jam, it is recommended to collect unripe gooseberry fruits, which contain the acid necessary for this preparation.
About the emergence of a variety
Variety Rodnik is the result of the fruitful work of Moscow breeders I.V. Popova and M.N. Simonova, obtained by crossing varieties Lada and seedling from self-pollination of Purman variety (No. 329–11) at the Moscow fruit and berry station. In 2001, the Rodnik variety entered the State Register of selection achievements recommended for cultivation in the Central region of Russia.
Gooseberry Spring is striking in productivity and stamina, as well as the taste of sweet berries with spicy sourness.
From one shrub you can collect up to 7.5 kg of berries
Botanical grade description:
- medium-sized erect shrub;
- the crown is compressed;
- thick shoots, change color from green from young to gray in adult shrubs;
- single and few thorns, of medium thickness, concentrated at the base of the bush;
- the kidneys are large, oval, brown;
- leaves are large and leathery, with wavy edges and a slight sheen, green;
- flowers are enlarged, collected in one or two-flowered brush;
- the seeds are large;
- the fruits are large, round-oval, yellowish-green in color with light veins; upon ripening, they acquire a reddish hue;
- the taste of ripened fruits is sweet and sour, dessert, estimated at 4.8 points out of 5 (7.3% sugar and 2% acid, which is considered a balanced indicator for fruit and berry crops);
- the pulp is juicy and tender;
- the average weight of berries reaches 7 g;
- early ripening - the first crop is harvested in June;
- high productivity - from one shrub, on average, up to 7.5 kg of fruits are harvested.
One of the advantages of gooseberry varieties Rodnik are small and rare thorns
Advantages and disadvantages
Due to the ability to tolerate spring frosts and lower winter temperatures, gooseberries of the Rodnik variety are more often chosen by gardeners in central Russia. Cooling of the variety is not affected by the cooling, which caused the flowering of the bush.
The advantages of the variety include:
- excellent taste of berries;
- the ability of the fruit to tie during self-pollination, therefore even a single gooseberry bush bears fruit;
- regular fruiting;
- fast rooting of shoots;
- resistance to sharp fluctuations in temperature;
- immunity to Septoria and powdery mildew;
- good transportability.
Gooseberry varieties Rodnik withstands frosts down to –35 ° C
The variety has few drawbacks. These include:
- shedding of ripened berries after rain;
- insufficient resistance to anthracnose, which is easy to cope with proper care.
Video: review of gooseberry varieties Rodnik
For planting, choose annual seedlings with a closed root part, since such trees are better acclimatized in a new place.
To plant gooseberries, pick up a lighted, swamp-free area, inaccessible to drafts.
Gooseberries do not fit acidic soil, the surface of which is painted in a whitish hue. It is easy to check the acidity of the soil: pour 1 teaspoon of soil on the glass and pour 9% table vinegar on top. Acidic soil does not cause foaming, and with neutral or alkaline soil, moderate to strong foam forms. If there is no other soil on the site, 3-4 months before planting seedlings, neutralize acidic soil with hydrated lime, chalk or wood ash.
In the central regions of Russia, gooseberries of the Rodnik variety are planted from mid-September to early October.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
- 2-3 weeks before planting, dig a hole with a diameter of 50-60 cm and a depth of 30-40 cm, lay 4-5 kg of humus, 50 g of potash fertilizers and 100-150 g of superphosphate on the bottom.
- For purchased seedlings, trim roots longer than 20 cm.
- Place the seedling in the hole at a right angle and cover it with earth, deepening the root neck by 5-6 cm.
When planting a gooseberry seedling of Rodnik variety, you need to deepen the root neck by 5-6 cm
- Keep a distance of 1.5 m between the seedlings. If a tree grows nearby, then place the gooseberries at a distance of 2-3 m, otherwise, due to the shade, the yield will decrease and more time will be spent on the fruit to ripen.
- Pour seedlings abundantly with water and fill the top of the soil with a dense layer of mulch. Water the gooseberries again after 2-3 weeks.
- To further form a compact crown, cut off the aerial part of the bush between the fifth and sixth buds.
With proper care, the tree bears fruit for 40–45 years.
Care features: watering, top dressing, pruning, anthracnose prevention
Spend spring watering of the bush at the end of May, and summer - after 3 weeks. In hot weather, pour 3-4 buckets of water once a week on the gooseberries. Mulching will help keep the soil moist longer.
For gooseberries to bear fruit regularly, add the following composition for each bush in early spring: add 5 grams of compost or rotted manure to 20 grams of ammonium sulfate and potassium sulfate, as well as 60 grams of superphosphate.
Mineral and organic fertilizers are applied under the gooseberry bush. Spring in the spring.
After the flowering of the bush ends, fertilize the soil with an aqueous mullein solution. He is preparing like this. Dilute cow dung in a ratio of 1: 4, mix well and insist in a warm place for several days. After the manure is fermented, dilute the resulting solution again in the same proportion and water at the rate of 10 liters per 1 m2. Repeat the procedure after 2-3 weeks. Do not forget to also loosen the soil once a month.
In the spring, before the buds open and the sap flow begins, carry out a sanitary pruning of gooseberries. In this case, cut to the base shoots older than 7-8 years. As a rule, such shoots are painted in dark color, strongly curved and poorly bear fruit. In addition to age-related shoots, cut off young, but curved and broken, as well as thickening branches. Leave only strong shoots.
Video: pruning gooseberries in spring
Gooseberries are pruned annually to form a shrub.
- Before planting, shoots are cut off, leaving no more than 5-6 buds on each.
- Underdeveloped shoots, the length of which does not exceed 20 cm, are cut next year.
- On the 3rd year, thinning branches.
- In the 4th year, root and drooping shoots are cut.
After such pruning, gooseberries bear last year's uncircumcised growths. At the end of fruiting, these growths are also cut to continue the formation of new shoots. Remember that pruning is done in spring or autumn, but not in summer, otherwise an unformed bush will freeze.
After the formative pruning of the gooseberry bush, the Spring begin to bear fruit uncut last year’s growths
To prevent anthracnose, regularly weed the plants and collect fallen leaves, branches and grass, in which pests prefer to winter and fungal spores accumulate. If gooseberries have already hit anthracnose, sprinkle abundantly the soil next to the shrub with a 3% solution of Nitrafen. On 10 m2 of plantings, you need up to 1.5–2 liters of the drug.
In winter, mulch the root zone with a thick layer of straw or peat.
Compliance with the rules gooseberry care will ensure the duration of fruiting and rejuvenate old shrubs.
Reviews about the grade Spring
We have 3 varieties massively growing. In total, about 150 bushes. Rodnik (Rodnichok), I myself am still confused, as it is, got to us from L.I. Klyuchikhin. And who knows Leonid Ivanovich, he will confirm, he will never offer anything bad! A variety is a godsend for those who want gooseberries with sweet fruits. I like it very much, I'm not very sour. Harvest, early. The bush is medium-sized, slightly studded. The berries are large, light green in color, oval. The taste is excellent, acid is practically absent.admin
The spring is also an excellent resistant variety, beautiful huge berries, tasty, fragrant, productive, medium-sized bush (the disadvantage is that ripe berries are crumbled, but if you collect berries every day so that they do not rot, then this defect will be a virtue, you do not need to look among the foliage and thorns, a crop at your feet, a rounding of three points out of five).lyulik
A spring on a set of features will be better. The berry is larger, the yield is higher, more resistant to diseases.PAVEL_71 RUS
I have not tried gooseberries as much as I would like, and had even less. But I can highlight the Spring (thin peel, with sourness, but tasty and not bold). In my opinion, the peel is a little thick, with full maturity - an excellent dessert taste. Ripens earlier than Plum by 7-10 days.Andrey Vasiliev, consultant, section "Orchard"
Gardeners choose the Gooseberry Spring variety due to the early ripening, large-fruited and wonderful taste of berries. Thanks to the constant use of gooseberries, the level of cholesterol and blood sugar is normalized, and blood pressure is also stabilized.