Garden landscape design: territory planning + some design techniques
Who decided that the garden cannot become the main decoration of a suburban area? A decorative garden can please not only a rich harvest, but also act as an original decoration of the site. To implement this idea, it is enough to think over the design of the garden and the vegetable garden, in which the vegetable beds will look no less picturesque than the colorful flower beds. And how to do it right, we want to tell you today.
Key recommendations for garden planning
Modern landscape design concerns not only the arrangement of a recreation area and a garden on the site. Landscape architects have developed a number of recommendations, thanks to which the design of the garden with their own hands will be able to plan and equip any gardener.
- Zoning of the site . Thinking over the arrangement of the site on which the buildings have not yet been completed, at the design stage, it is necessary to provide for the placement of all the necessary zones: front, recreation, and economic.
- Lighting and surface of the garden area . The plot for vegetable beds should be lit from all sides. Most vegetables are sun-loving and demanding on soils. By placing beds in a sunny area with fertile soil, you simplify the work of observing the special conditions for planting and crop rotation.
- Limited landing area . If you do not set yourself the goal of providing stocks of jams and pickles from your own crop to all your relatives and friends, it is better to limit the planting area. Three or four neatly crafted beds will look more attractive and will bring more benefits than a dozen groomed ones.
- Unusual shape and arrangement of beds . When breaking vegetable beds, it is important to consider both the aesthetic appearance of the plant composition planted in them and the needs of the plants themselves. Intricate ornaments and patterns created from slightly raised beds in the form of trapezoids, triangles and waves are not always suitable for growing moisture-loving crops. Water on such beds dries faster, which leads to uneven growth of plants.
- The ratio of the width of the beds and the aisles between them . Traditionally, many of us break beds 1-1.2 m wide. Foreign gardeners are of the opinion that the width of the beds should not exceed 70 cm. And this has its own meaning: it is easier to care for such a bed, maintaining an attractive appearance of the planting and increasing thereby harvest.
It will also be useful material on how to plant a small area with edible crops: ideas / appetitnye-klumby.html
Landscaping works can be aimed at arranging a decorative garden, which is also an important component of garden aesthetics
An example of a French garden. The width of the passage between the low beds should be at least 40 cm, and between the high beds - 70 centimeters
Receptions for arranging a decorative garden
Method # 1 - framing for beds
Each of us wants his garden to look attractive not only in the summer, when it is decorated with a motley hat of foliage, flowers and fruits, but also in the spring and autumn periods, when the beds are bare.
Neatly decorated surfaces, framed by protective decorative sides, look equally beautiful and well-groomed at any time of the year
Using the sides, you can slightly raise the beds, constructing low walls, which will become a spectacular addition to the landscape picture.
If the landscape design of the garden includes elements with smooth bends, circles and curved lines, the figured frame for vegetable beds can be made from ready-made modules.
For the same purpose, you can use wooden stumps of small diameters, clinker bricks placed on the end, or even plastic bottles
It is also desirable to arrange the paths between the beds by laying them with wood saw cuts, or by covering them with a layer of fine gravel or granite screenings. How to do this, read the article “How to make paths in the country with your own hands: zoning rules + 3 master classes”.
Method # 2 - a container garden
Planting plants in containers allows you to implement not only an aesthetic function. A significant advantage of such containers is their mobility. Containers with planted plants can always be moved, decorating empty spaces on the site.
Boxes with herbs and juicy fresh herbs can complement the design of the barbecue area, patio and terrace
Any containers can be used as containers: clay and plastic pots, baskets, barrels, old dishes. There are no restrictions on the choice of containers for plants, the only condition is that they must be in harmony with other elements of the decor.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
Compact ripening varieties of cherry tomatoes, decorative pepper and eggplant are well suited for planting in containers.
Also, for planting, you can use multi-tiered and raised beds, read about it: ozelenenie / mnogoyarusnaya-klumba.html
In a large-capacity tank, several crops can be planted at once, creating original color combinations. For example: red-burgundy chard leaves go well with pale green lettuce
You can add colors to plant compositions by adding annual flowers to them: marigolds, marigold, majors.
Method # 3 - flower and vegetable flower beds
With this method of arrangement, plants are planted in small groups, which form variegated multi-level islands. For example: in the foreground, greens are planted along the curb, the middle tier of the composition is filled with medium-tall pepper or tomato plants, and corn or sunflower are planted as the background, the stems of which are asparagus haricots.
Such a flower bed is perfectly complemented by decorative cabbage, more about this can be found in the material: rastenija / dekorativnaya-kapusta-na-klumbe.html
Traditional beds can even be replaced with original flower beds decorated with plant compositions of decorative vegetables and flowers
The design of the site in English and French style
Landscaping of suburban areas is often performed on the basis of one of two styles: French or English. The first is based on a combination of geometric shapes. All green spaces on the site and decor elements form a single carefully thought-out pattern.
As one of the examples of the French style of design, we propose to consider the project of the site, which includes the diagonal layout of vegetable beds.
The center point of the composition is the courtyard, from which, like the rays of the sun, plantings with greens, flowers and vegetables diverge
It is better to observe and admire such a garden from a height: from the window of a house or balcony. For the design of beds, compact plant varieties are more suitable that do not grow, thereby violating the strict aesthetics of the French style.
Compact garden plantings with cabbage, cucumbers and tomatoes frame paths made of plates and bricks
The design of the garden in a landscape style suggests more naturalness. Therefore, the choice of plants for filling flower beds and beds is much wider. For the preparation of compositions, you can use any decorative vegetable crops, combining them by planting greens and flowers.
Finally, we suggest you watch a video with an example of a decorative garden device:
At the height of the season, such a carefully planned and neatly designed garden resembles a miniature park with flowers, which are played by elegant plantings of decorative cabbage, zucchini and lettuce.