Decorative saw: how to care for a striped beauty
Varieties of pylaea are so diverse that it is sometimes difficult to believe that all these plants belong to the same species. These plants are valued for the decorativeness of the leaves, since their flowering is inconspicuous and sometimes even inconspicuous. Caring for a saw at home is simple, and beginner gardeners can do it.
Description of the plant and photo
Pilea is an annual or perennial from the nettle family. Homeland - Southeast Asia.
The height of the saw is about 30 cm, most indoor varieties are even smaller. The leaves (for their decorativeness and valued pilya) in different species are very diverse - small and large, with a solid and serrated edge, oval and round, velvety and glossy, with and without a pattern. The flowers are small, nondescript, white, inflorescences are located in the axils of the leaves.
Pilea valued for decorative leaves
Despite the fact that Pilea comes from the tropics, she prefers a not-so-hot atmosphere, rather, even a cool one. The care is very unpretentious, and is universally used for home and office decor. Looks good in hanging pots like an ampel plant.
Indoor types of flower: small-leaved, Kadye, monolithic and others
- Thick-leaved. The leaves have a raised surface and appear covered with velvet.
- Pilea Spruce. Plant growth - no more than 20 cm, leaves with a pearly sheen, stripes are located on a red-brown background.
- The wrapped pylaea on green leaves with dark brown veins have distinct protrusions.
- Pilea Kadier has an even and clear pattern on the leaves - between the veins you can see silver stripes, emphasizing the oval shape of fairly large leaves. The shoots are flexible, thin, straight at the beginning of life, bend down with age.
- Peperomiform. Flowering is almost imperceptible, but magnificent foliage immediately attracts attention. On a short stalk, the bunch contains round leaves, similar to coins, for which this pilya is also called the “money tree”.
- Small-leaved. Shoots are prone, strongly branching, and the leaves are small, round, fleshy. The plant looks curly.
- Monolithic. The leaves are also small, but not round, but oval, of a gentle whitish-green color.
- Lebanese. The shoots are drooping, the leaves are silver, they do not cover the shoot along the entire length.
- Creeping. Glossy leaves, creeping shoots.
- Hybrids Bronze and Silver Tree (with bronze and silver stains on leaves) are also very popular.
Photo gallery: classic and hybrid varieties of pylaea
- The leaves of this saw are velvet
- Pylaea of Spruce resembles reptile skin
- Creeping pylaea got its name because of creeping shoots
- This pilya is also called the money tree.
- Wrapped has distinct protrusions on the leaves
- Monolithic oval leaves
- Small-leaved looks curly
- Lebanese Pilea leaves cast silver
- Padea Kadier has a strict leaf pattern
Table: what conditions are required depending on the season
|Spring Summer||It grows well even in partial shade, but for the manifestation of all decorative features it is necessary to provide the plant with bright, but diffuse lighting. With a lack of light, the color of the leaves fades. For placement, windows of east and west orientation are suitable.||Not very high - up to 21 ° C. In summer, the saw can be taken out into the open air.||High humidity. Species with pubescent leaves cannot be sprayed “directly”, it is better to place a container with water near a sawn, or place the pot on a pallet with raw pebbles / expanded clay.|
|Autumn winter||15 ° C. Mandatory protection against drafts.|
Landing and transplanting
Pileas need frequent updating, as they quickly grow and degenerate (the bushes lose their attractive appearance, the stems are pulled out, they discard the foliage). It is necessary to focus on the appearance of the plant, perhaps it will have to be done annually, but, as a rule, after 2 years.
A flower transplant can be arranged in a rather long period of time - from early spring to the end of June. The pot will need a few centimeters wider and deeper than the previous one, but no more than 10 cm. 1/3 of it is filled with drainage. Before transplanting, the plant needs to be cut, pinching the tips of all shoots.
The soil is needed loose, light, with an pH of 5.5–6.0. When compiling the mixture yourself, humus and leafy earth, sand, peat (1: 1: 0.5: 0.5) will be required.
- Cover the bottom of the new tank with drainage, fill it with soil to half, make a recess.
Laying drainage on the bottom of the pot is required
- Carefully remove the saw from the old pot, shake the ground slightly from the roots. Completely clear the root system of the soil does not work, which is not necessary.
- Put the saw with a lump in a new pot, add some substrate, crushing it a little.
When transplanting, the substrate needs to be crushed a little
- Water the plant.
Video: Pylaea transplant
In order for the pilya to feel good and delight the owners with the brightness of the leaves, it is necessary to know the simple rules of care.
Neither the long pauses between watering, nor the excessively moistened soil of the saw will not forgive. Between watering, the topsoil should dry, and at a depth - remain moist. Water should be soft, settled. It is better to water often, but slightly than rarely, but abundantly - 2-3 times a week in the summer, in winter - 1 time. Waterlogging is especially negative in the cold season, when the error immediately affects the decorative leaf.
Fertilizing the plant is recommended throughout the year. Even in autumn and winter, when active growth stops, it is necessary to maintain a saw - once a month will be enough. Suitable universal fertilizers for decorative foliage plants. In spring, summer, and the first half of autumn, sawn is fed 2 times a month.
Universal fertilizer suitable for feeding pylea
Pilea blooms with small whitish flowers. Sometimes inflorescences are even difficult to detect - they are in the axils of the leaves. Since pylaea flowers do not have a deporting role, many flower growers prune them when they appear, so as not to weaken the plant.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
Pilea leaves are more decorative than flowers.
The period of rest in pylaea is implicitly expressed, but nevertheless it is. From mid-autumn, the temperature of the room where the plant is kept should be lower - about 15 ° C. Watering and feeding reduce. At this time, it is important to protect the saw from drafts, but ventilation is necessary. The leaves should not touch the cold glass, otherwise the plant will turn black.
In spring, a fast-growing sawn cut off, leaving shoots 8-10 cm long. Then, during growth every 2-3 weeks, pinch the upper bud of the shoot to stimulate the formation of new branches. So the bush becomes more magnificent.
To make the plant lush, it must be pinched
Rewell also deserves attention for his unpretentiousness and ease of care: rastenija / ruelliya-uhod-v-domashnih-usloviyah-foto.html
Table: causes and consequences of care errors
|Problem||Cause||What to do|
|Leaves lose their decorativeness, become smaller, the tips of the leaves dry out, the shoots are stretched.||Lack of light.||Relocate to a more lighted place.|
|Leaves wither, blacken, fall off.||Excessive watering.||Allow the soil to dry, withstand several days between waterings.|
|The leaves wrinkle and dry.||Too high or low temperature, long period between waterings.||Adjust the temperature.|
|Brown, yellow spots appeared on the leaves.||Direct sunlight.||The plant must be shaded from direct sunlight.|
|The shoots are exposed, the lower leaves fall off.||The plant requires rejuvenation.||You need to root the cuttings to get a new young plant.|
Diseases and pests
Under adverse conditions and improper care, the saw is susceptible to the invasion of pests. The fight needs to be started as soon as the problem is discovered.
|Pest||How does it manifest||What to do|
|Spider mite||A thin cobweb appears in the internodes, leaves fade, fall off. An excellent medium for tick propagation is dry.|
|Thrips||Numerous bright spots appear on the upper side of the leaves, causing the leaf to become gray-brown. It is difficult to detect thrips on variegated pylei.||Treat with drugs Actellik, Inta-Vir, Fitoverm.|
|Shield||Due to the activity of the scab, the leaves dry out, fall off, and decorativeness is difficult to restore.|
Photo gallery: who threatens a saw
- Thrips is difficult to arrange on variegated saws
- Leaves dry and fall due to scabies
- A small insect is not visible to the naked eye
How to propagate a saw
The best way to propagate the saw is to cuttings.
- For cuttings, it is necessary to cut the tops of stems 7-10 cm long (the procedure can be carried out throughout the year).
- In order for roots to appear on the cuttings, you need to put them in boiled water (the roots will appear in 2 weeks).
- It is necessary to organize a mini-greenhouse, as well as provide protection from direct sunlight.
- After the roots appear, the plants are planted in pots with a soil mixture (deciduous and greenhouse land with sand in the proportions of 1: 1: 1). After that, they put it for 1–1.5 weeks in a cool and shaded place, then they rearrange it to where the plant will be constantly.
The seed method of propagation of pylaea is practically not used, since in room conditions the seeds ripen reluctantly.
Video: plant care at home
Among the many indoor flowers growing in our house, pylaea is especially original. It belongs to the family of nettles, but apparently has nothing to do with nettles. Its leaves are fantastically colored, and for their color we call the flower “watermelon” among themselves. It has been growing with us for a long time. The plant is unpretentious, does not require any special care. Like any home flower, it requires periodic mineral and organic dressing, pruning and transplanting. What was our surprise when for the first time in many years a flower appeared on our watermelon!Abramych
In order for the plant to feel good, you need to constantly take care of the size of the pot and buy a new one that is larger not only in length but also in width. Then there is enough space for all the shoots. Pilea loves water. I water it every day (in winter twice a week). Because the plant likes to be sprayed, I water it once a week in the shower so that not only the roots, but also the leaves are saturated with moisture. Top dressing is usual, as in other plants - about 1 time in 2 weeks. In this case, the leaves will be beautiful and large. Juicy green leaves, like other similar plants, do not really like direct sunlight. Therefore, it is worth considering placing the bush on the other side. I have it grows great on the north window. But there should still be enough light, especially in winter.Lillian
The flower is beautiful, its leaves are attractive, striped. I read that it blooms, but I have never bloomed. He stood constantly in my refrigerator, it is warm there, and not very dark, the kitchen is bright. Moved it to the window, I will observe, perhaps in the spring and will bloom. The flower is unpretentious, if for 4 years nothing had happened to him on the refrigerator, then he was generally fine on the window. There is more light on the window, and the flower is not stretched so much, his leaves began to grow more heap.Maryucya
This houseplant prefers bright diffused light, without direct sunlight. In summer, it can be taken outside, but do not forget that it must be protected from sunlight. Throughout the year, Pilea prefers an approximate air temperature of up to 25 degrees. And most importantly, do not forget that the saw is afraid of drafts. Water the saw with plenty of warm, settled water, before watering, check the top layer of the substrate, whether it is dry or not. If, however, the leaves wilt and turn pale, it may mean that you are wetting the substrate. Pilea loves moist air, but it should not be sprayed, since spraying the plant can damage the decorative leaf. The best option is to use a pan of water or wet sand, but the bottom of the pot should not touch the water.Agata kristi
- When pruning, cut the 4–5 longest shoots per month, then the plant will remain compact.
- Propagate the saw blade every 2 years and keep the most leafy specimens.
- Due to waterlogging and watering with cold water, the roots begin to rot and fall leaves.
- Very original and decorative it turns out if several types of sawnings are grown.
- Pilea is a light-loving, shade-resistant plant, but it does not like direct sunlight - they cause burns on the leaves. But in the shade, the leaves fade and lose their decorative effect.Natalie
Pileas add a special charm to the interior thanks to their amazing leaves. Unpretentiousness in care and ease of reproduction is another plus in the list of advantages of this plant.