Coniferous compositions in the landscape design of the garden: selection of plants + basics of zoning
Landscaping is carried out by many owners of suburban areas. As a result of their efforts, the space surrounding not only expensive cottages, but also simple private houses has significantly changed. Today, kitchen gardens and even gardens are gradually losing ground and giving way to lawns, flower beds, flower beds and unusual plant compositions pleasing to the eye. However, flower beds have always attracted the attention of gardeners, and decorative shrubs quite often decorated areas, but conifers in landscape design, if used, are not so common. Today they are becoming more popular.
There are rules for planting conifers that are well known to landscape designers. But since not every owner of the site has the financial ability to hire such a specialist, it is better to know these rules yourself in order to try to implement them on the site yourself:
- A tree-shrub composition will only look holistic when the distance from the point from which it will most often be inspected is at least two of its heights.
- The presence of a lawn as a background for conifers is most preferred.
- Often conifers are planted near water bodies, so that, in combination with weeping deciduous plants, they make up a single original composition.
- Most effective, according to experts, when coniferous compositions in the landscape design of the garden are oriented to the west or east.
Listen to the recommendations and advice so that your site becomes more and more beautiful, and the time spent on it would give you pleasure.
Coniferous plants go well with cereals, deciduous plants and flowers, including lilies. This composition on the shore of the pond looks natural and magnificent.
The combination of roses and conifers looks great, but the problem is that thuja and other conifers oxidize the soil as a result of their vital activity, and roses treat acid soils poorly
Color combinations of conifers
Conifers can vary significantly in color. If you have to collect plants in a composition, you need to pay attention to the color of the needles, so that a peculiar gamut is formed:
- If the composition includes three components, then only two colors can be present in it.
- The five element composition should consist of no more than three different colors.
- If there are 25 or more elements in the composition, they must be combined into groups of three copies, and plants in the same group should be selected according to a single color attribute.
Only in this case will conifers make up an ensemble in which they will look harmonious without violating the integrity of the picture.
Also, material on the rules for designing group and solitary plantings from decorative conifers will be useful: ozelenenie / dekorativnye-xvojniki.html
Numerous colors and shades of needles can create harmonious combinations, if you take care of their compatibility with each other in advance
Crown Height and Shape
When creating ensembles, it is necessary to take into account not only the color of the plant, but also its height in adulthood, as well as the shape of its crown. To predict the appearance of the composition for the future, one should, armed with knowledge, pre-select from those plants that the modern market or nurseries can offer.
Of course, the height of the adult plant and the shape of its crown must be taken into account so that after some time the composition does not lose its original attractiveness and does not turn into thickets
Tall species of conifers
Among the fairly tall plants include the following species:
- Western thuja. The plant reaches a height of 5m, prefers shaded areas, can be trimmed. Often used as a hedge.
- Juniper Skyrocket. Pleasant conical plant with soft blue needles. It grows up to 3m high.
- Prickly spruce Hupsi. A very popular variety that can grow up to 15m. It has dense needles of silver-blue color. The plant is resistant to negative natural factors.
- Pine ordinary Waterereri. Its homeland is the Mediterranean, so we can say that it is especially adapted to the southern climate. It has a twisted spherical shape, grows to a height of 4m.
- Pine Pinkus Silvestris. A real coniferous giant growing up to 40m in height. It has a straight trunk and columnar structure. Demanded due to absolute unpretentiousness.
If rapid growth upward is undesirable, you can adjust the size of the plants by constantly pinching its shoots, but you must do this regularly: every year. Otherwise, you can get a plant freak.
Who would have thought that such a compact plant could eventually turn into a 15-meter giant. But this circumstance must be taken into account when landing
Medium-sized plants for coniferous compositions
Very tall plants rarely anyone decide to use in the internal composition. Rather, they form a hedge, zoning the site or enclosing it. But medium-sized conifers are well-deservedly popular among landscape designers:
- Spruce Konika. This branchy and very spectacular evergreen tree is in demand, as it grows slowly and looks attractive.
- Berry yew. A compact shrub with dense needles looks great on the lawn and is popular because of the combination of lush greenery and bright red berries.
- Western thuja. A very beautiful and compact ball, the branches of which grow densely in the vertical direction with respect to the trunk.
- Golden yew. It can grow in partial shade, it feels great in the neighborhood with tall and short plants. It has the shape of a cup and needles of yellowish-green or golden color.
As a rule, it is these plants that form the basis of the compositions. Successfully complemented by stunted conifers, they look great at either end of the garden.
It is medium-sized plants that often form the basis of all kinds of compositions. Look at this tree that asks for a Japanese-style garden
The green thuja with bright red berries brings back memories of wonderful New Year's holidays, when this combination of colors becomes the most popular
Low and creeping conifers
When plucking such a plant, it is necessary to provide sufficient space for its development. After all, such conifers do not grow up, but in breadth, capturing space and forming a kind of prickly lawn.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
- Spruce Lombers ordinary . Despite this name, this spruce looks very unusual. This is a short plant with dense needles of emerald color.
- Western Thuja Tini Tim. This plant loves light, but does not require abundant watering. She looks like a ball rolled out onto the track.
- Hampi Mountain Pine. The plant serves as a decoration for rock gardens. It grows to the sides. Her kidneys at negative temperatures acquire a decorative reddish-brown hue.
- Mountain pine Mini Pug. It grows in the form of a fluffy pillow. Spectacular and nice looking.
Undersized conifers in garden design can be especially attractive if properly managed. They, in combination with medium-sized ones, are able to create an indescribable atmosphere of the Japanese garden, its flavor.
Although this spruce is called ordinary, but outwardly it looks more like a spruce branch, which covers the surface that the designer took for her
Mountain pine Mini Pug impresses with its miniature size and adaptability to the most extreme growth conditions. Of course, she deserves to be a decoration of the garden
We make compositions of conifers
Coniferous plants are perfectly combined not only with each other, but also with deciduous shrubs and trees, creating interesting compositions. For a combination of plants, there are rules to be aware of when designing a site.
Mixborders from conifers
The mixborder can be placed where, in accordance with your vision of the layout of the site, it will be especially appropriate. It is important not to be afraid to do as you want. The landscape only benefits from the manifestation of the designer’s personality.
Prepare a place for the largest plants on the edge of the composition, then the seedlings are arranged in decreasing size, so the lowest plants are planted at the foot of the mixborder. Do not try to maintain the geometric accuracy of landings. Curvature will only emphasize the pristine beauty of the composition.
You can learn more about how to create a mixborder from perennials from the material: ozelenenie / miksborder-iz-mnogoletnikov-poshagovo.html
This attractive composition retains all the rules that should not be violated, creating a harmonious ensemble of coniferous plants in the garden
The natural harmony of the mixborder should be observed: the width of the plot for tall and large plants should exceed the space reserved for small-growing plantings. The composition of the seedlings can be plants that differ in the color of the needles and the shape of the crown. Sometimes in the plots you can see exceptionally beautiful and diverse collections of conifers.
Dividing a suburban area into zones, many designers also use conifers. Using them, you can create a functional fence around the perimeter of the site. For this, plants are planted in two or even three rows, placed in a checkerboard pattern. From an ordinary spruce, an absolutely impenetrable fence can turn out.
Barriers can also be beautiful, but their impregnability is not reduced by this. It will take time for such a fence to appear on the site, but the result is worth it
Against the background of Christmas trees or thuja, flowering perennials look good. Creating different combinations of plants, you can not worry about the artificial decoration of the site: it will be beautiful and evergreen at any time of the year.
Rules for planting conifers
Careful preparation of the place where the plant will be planted is very important. His health depends on this, and, therefore, the beauty of the site. If stagnation of water occurs in any part of the site, plants should not be placed there. Each variety presents its own requirements for the composition of the soil. This point should be clarified and taken into account when you are just starting to choose varieties for planting.
As you can see, the seedling of a coniferous plant does not need to be deepened much. It is enough that the part that we call the root is in the hole prepared for him
The most acceptable period for planting is from late April to early May. At this time, the seedling is not yet entering an active time of growth, which means that it will be easier to transfer the transplant and will feel good in the new place.
Fertile soil needs to be placed in the pit under the seedling, after which it is good to tamp it and place the plant in it at the root, not deeper. After planting, the conifer needs watering. Care must be taken to ensure that the soil does not dry out.
Not all conifers show frost resistance. There are real sissies who are used to a humid and warm Mediterranean climate. In winter, they need to be protected.
Conifers are not picky plants, but they also require care. In hot summers, they need to be protected from sunburn, and in the cold winter, those specimens that are not cold-resistant should be covered.
You can learn more about how to prepare conifers for frost from the material: ozelenenie / zimnyaya-spyachka-xvojnikov.html
Seedlings can be with a closed root system and open. If planting occurs in spring and the roots are open, pay attention to the presence of fresh white shoots. Such a plant is ready for planting.