The best varieties of strawberries for the Moscow region: how not to make a mistake in choosing
Strawberries are grown everywhere: from the warm coast of the Black Sea region to the northern corners of our country. But not all varieties of this culture are suitable for planting in a particular region. Many of the varieties are regionalized, and not without reason. For example, in the Moscow Region, where it would seem that the climate is ideal for this fragrant berry, gardeners and gardeners prefer frost-resistant varieties. After all, the middle strip of Russia is famous for unpredictable spring and autumn frosts. In addition, there are many more nuances that must be taken into account if we choose varieties for cultivation in the Moscow Region.
Variety Selection Criteria
The suburbs are characterized by unexpected frosts in late spring and early autumn. It is impossible to predict them in advance, so quite often most of the landings die from them. However, if the plants themselves survive, the peduncles will be beaten by frost and you will not have to wait for the harvest either. For this reason, varieties resistant to cold are selected for cultivation.
Unpopular among gardeners in the Moscow Region are remontant and ultra-early strawberry varieties. They most often suffer from frost.
Another important selection criterion is drought tolerance. Summer weather in this region is quite mild, warm, with frequent rains. But in recent years, the climate presents frequent surprises in the form of prolonged heat. Accordingly, it is worth making sure that the strawberries feel comfortable at any time of the year.
In addition to weather conditions, experts advise when choosing a variety to pay attention to the following indicators:
- strawberry fruit size,
- resistance to diseases and pests,
- taste of berries
- ripening dates.
The best varieties of strawberries for the Moscow region
In this region, you can grow different varieties of strawberries: early, late, large-fruited, zoned and universal. It is impossible to talk about everyone for the reason that there are so many of them. Only zoned varieties in the State Register there are more than 100. That is why we decided to announce the list of the best of the best.
Table: Zoned Varieties
|Grade name||Characteristic and Description|
Photo Gallery: Zoned Strawberry Varieties for Moscow Region
- Rusich bushes have the shape of a ball
- Strawberry variety Moscow Delicacy - early ripening, remontant
- Wim Xim strawberry berries reach a weight of 20 g
- Strawberry varieties Bereginya well tolerates transportation and freezing
- Anastasia strawberries are resistant to frost, but require shelter for the winter
Video: strawberry varieties, including Bereginya and Rusich - description
The best large-fruited varieties
Each gardener tries not only to collect as much strawberries from the beds as possible, but also to grow a large berry. The larger the strawberries, the more convenient it is to peel, wash, not to mention canning or homemade desserts. Any housewife would like to please the guests with delicious dishes, and boast that they made such a large and juicy strawberry with their own hands. In this case, it is better to choose large-fruited varieties of berries.
Table: large-fruited strawberry varieties for the Moscow region
|Grade name||Characteristic and Description|
Photo gallery: varieties of large-fruited strawberries
- The Strawberry Festival variety is popular among gardeners due to its unpretentiousness and increased frost resistance
- Large fragrant berries of the Moscow Anniversary strawberry delight in taste
- In greenhouse conditions, the Albion strawberry variety is able to bear fruit all year round.
- Gigantella strawberry berries reach a weight of 110–120 g
- Elizabeth strawberries are resistant to many diseases and pests
- Strawberry varieties Lord is able to bear fruit up to 10 years
Early strawberry varieties for Moscow region
In whatever region we live, no matter what crops we plant on our site, I always want to harvest the first crop early. To pamper yourself with fragrant berries in the spring, we select early strawberry varieties for the Moscow region:
- high-yielding - from one bush, with proper care, you can collect up to 2 kg of strawberries;
- frost resistant;
- Pleases gardeners with large dense berries of orange-red color weighing up to 50 g;
- unpretentious to soils, but does not grow in clay soil;
- not affected by rot, powdery mildew and fungi;
- juicy fragrant berries of this variety are universal in application and perfectly tolerate transportation.
Dense large berries of the Anita strawberry variety perfectly transport transportation over long distances
- high yielding;
- it is intended for cultivation at home and in greenhouses, planting in open ground is undesirable, grows well in flower pots and containers;
- not cold resistant;
- berries do not grow smaller with each new crop;
Strawberry variety Alba is intended for cultivation in greenhouse and home conditions.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
- early ripening;
- high-yielding - from one bush of Deroyal you can collect about 1 kg of berries;
- unpretentious to the composition of the soil;
- non-cold, can be grown in greenhouses or in open ground. For the winter, Deroyal is covered with humus, straw, because in snowless winters, which quite often have been in the Moscow Region in recent years, it can freeze;
- heat resistant, but requires systematic watering;
- not susceptible to many diseases, including powdery mildew.
The early ripening variety Deroyal is grown in greenhouses and in open ground
- high-yielding - from one bush gathers up to 1 kg of strawberries;
- berries of medium size and weight, having the shape of a cone, weighing usually from 20 to 30 g;
- cold-resistant, grown in open ground and in greenhouse conditions;
- very photophilous;
- unpretentious to soils;
- universal in application.
The cold-resistant Strawberry variety Cardinal tolerates weather extremes and unexpected frosts.
- high yield - 0.7 kg per strawberry bush;
- increased frost resistance - spring and autumn cold snap, snowy winters are not afraid of him;
- resistant to many diseases and pests, except verticillosis;
- the berries are dense, sweet;
- fruits are stored for a long time in cool rooms and perfectly transport transportation over long distances.
From one Kent strawberry bush you can collect 700 g of juicy sweet berries
Late Strawberry Varieties
To strawberry delight juicy sweet fruits as long as possible, you should pay attention to varieties with a late ripening. When the harvest from early strawberries is harvested, the following will not have to wait long:
- high yielding;
- long fruiting period;
- berries are juicy, dark red in color, very sweet and fragrant, average weight reaches 50 g; it is one of the varieties with a high level of sugar content;
- used in canning and confectionery;
- cold resistant;
- unpretentious in leaving;
- undemanding to the composition of the soil;
- Senior citizen of Chelsea. This name evokes a kind smile, and a football team immediately looms before your eyes. But seriously speaking, this high-yielding variety is indeed moody, like some football stars:
- berries are juicy, sweet and fragrant, but their size and taste are directly dependent on care;
- sensitive to watering, heat, drought, badlands, unexpected cold snap;
- a good harvest in the first summer after planting a Chelsea Senior Citizen should not be expected, it will only be in its second year;
- resistant to rot and powdery mildew.
- high-yielding - from one plant collect up to 2 kg of berries;
- frost resistant;
- fruits are juicy, dense, refers to varieties with a high sugar content;
- perfectly tolerates transportation and long-term storage;
- reduces yield with each fruiting season;
- poor resistance to rot.
Photo gallery: late strawberry varieties for Moscow region
- Malvina high-sugar strawberries
- Strawberry variety Bohemia unpretentious in care
- Chelsea strawberries are sensitive to growing conditions
Video: Malvina variety description
Reviews gardeners about varieties
I have Malvina from SP 2014. The bushes are huge, I wintered remarkably. It began to ripen when Xima ended. The shape of the berries is round, the taste is excellent. There are no leafy berries at all (I have not seen a single one) both on the frigos themselves and on the mustache received from them. On the mustache, planted late, in the fall excellent large berries, and ripen before the mothers. All neighbors have strawberries over. Definitely a divorce.ia-barnaul
I have only one left to bear fruit of Wim Xim. The flower stalks are powerful, there are many berries on them, large, beautiful ... To my surprise, maybe the sun has become more, I now like it (I already left Eliana, a competitor to her taste).Star of the north
About the winter hardiness of Albion. The last two winters were quite warm, so it was not possible to fully verify the winter hardiness of the variety. In the winter of 2014–2015 the variety moved the week of November frosts to –11 ... –13 degrees without any shelter without any problems.Roman S.
As you can see, there are many varieties of strawberries grown in the Moscow Region. Dwell on one of them or constantly experiment - everyone must decide for himself. We hope that now it will be easier to decide on the choice of variety for your site thanks to our advice.