The best varieties of gooseberries for the regions of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus
To fall in love with gooseberry berries, it is enough to try them once. And to try, you need to buy and grow a seedling. And in order to grow, you have to spend time and energy. Only then is all the joy brought by this prickly pet of country gardens fully felt. It does not require much, because a luxurious shrub is very unpretentious and even with minimal care can give an excellent harvest. Here is only one trouble: the bush bites!
Why gooseberries spikes
Indeed, spikes are a feature of gooseberry bushes. They protect the branches from direct sunlight, condensate accumulates on them, so that the plant does not overheat even on a hot day. In addition, thorns do not allow ungulates to get to sweet berries, thereby providing the plant with increased survival among competitors.
But the summer cottage is untouchable for moose and deer territory. Breeders have the opportunity to outwit nature and create species of gooseberries with almost no thorns.
Such crops appeared and eventually received the active support of gardeners. And the classification of plants according to the presence or absence of thorns on the bush includes non-studded, medium-spiked, and strongly-spiked varieties.
Spikes on gooseberries complicate crop care - it’s hard to pick berries, constantly at the risk of pricking
Spiked gooseberries: advantages and disadvantages
It is much more pleasant to work with a gobletless gooseberry. Hands and clothes do not suffer from thorns, and sanitary cutting of the bush has become easier and safer. Wherein:
- taste advantages of studless varieties were not affected;
- the size of the berries has not changed;
- frost resistance, vitality and resistance to diseases are preserved;
- vegetative features, including breeding methods, remained the same.
It is worth noting that the concept of "studless variety" is very arbitrary. Indeed, there is no question of branches with smooth trunks and the absolute absence of thorns. They are still there, but smaller in size and less often located. Their appearance or absence depends on the climatic conditions of the region, agrotechnical methods of cultivation, weather factor.
Some varieties grow spines in the spring and dump them by the time of harvest. Others expose their spikes only in the first year after rooting, and in subsequent seasons they do not have them. Still others may issue spikes every two years. The gardener must adapt to the nature of his prickly pets and, as far as possible, create the most favorable growth conditions for them.
Gooseless gooseberry-free varieties are safe for hands, berries are not inferior in taste to prickly varieties
When choosing a particular culture, one should be guided by the characteristics of the region in which it will have to live and winter. It is clear that the varieties for the Moscow region and southern Russia will be different. And cultures for areas with cold, long winters are generally special.
It is proposed to consider in turn bright representatives of gooseberries for some geoclimatic zones of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
The best varieties of gooseberries without thorns for the Moscow region and the North-West of Russia
North-West Russia and the Moscow Region are regions with similar features in growing conditions of cultivation, including the factor of the range of summer and winter temperatures, soil composition, and the number of sunny days in a season. Currently, a lot of varieties are bred specifically for such criteria.
Srednerosly bush belongs to medium-late varieties. Crohn semi-spreading with dense foliage. Spikes on the shoots are almost invisible. Gooseberries respond well to fertilizing with organic and mineral fertilizers, but it is undemanding to the composition of the soil. Resistant to drought, frosty winters and summer heat, as well as to diseases typical of the gooseberry family.
The fruits have a pear-shaped shape and a weight of up to 8 grams. The color of ripe berries is dark purple, almost black. The taste is sweet and sour. Berries contain a lot of ascorbic and folic acids. The fruiting period is short. One plant can produce up to 6 kg of berries.
Grushenka tolerates cold and drought well, productivity - up to 6 kg of berries from the bush
The culture appeared as a result of hybridization of the varieties Pink and Change. It was entered in the state register in 1988. Gooseberries of medium maturity and medium sprawl, require seasonal pruning. Of the shortcomings, average winter hardiness is noted, so the plant negatively reacts to early thaws and frosts. However, with proper care, it is easily restored. It has a stable immunity to powdery mildew and anthracnose. Spines are short and weak, located on the lower branches.
More information about the variety in our article - Gooseberry Gingerbread Man: secrets of planting and the nuances of care.
Fruits are formed on one or two year old shoots. They are considered large, with an average weight of 5–8 grams. The skin is dense. The color is cherry. Tasting score 4.5. They are used in canned and fresh forms, berries are allowed to freeze.
Kolobok - a hybrid variety from the Pink and Change crops, the average weight of berries is up to 8 grams
Gooseberries new generation. He received a certificate of state registry in 2007. It is a vigorous culture with rich foliage and a spreading crown. Growth can reach 1.8 meters. The thorns are almost invisible, located on the lower segments of the branches. The variety has high winter-hardiness and resistance to anthracnose, septoria and powdery mildew. Not subject to attack by pests such as a fireman and sawfly. An indisputable advantage is the ability of berries to hang on branches for a long time without falling. Over the years the variety has existed, its ability to self-pollination is noted.
The berries are relatively sweet, covered with a waxy coating. The color is almost black. Sugar content is fixed at 9.2%. Acid is only 2.9%. But the size of the fruit is small with a mass of 3-4 grams. Productivity is up to 11 kg from one plant. Sweet products and homemade wine are brewed from berries.
Northern captain - a tall bush with a spreading crown, dark, almost black berries are perfect for winemaking
The variety received a ticket to life in 1994 and became zoned for many areas of the Central region. Represents the result of breeding from the crossing of 4 cultures: Date, Seedling Maurer, Brazilian, Green Bottle. Ripens in the mid-late period. It is characterized by increased winter hardiness, the ability to withstand gooseberries and fungi.
The bush is compact and relatively tall. Spikes are thin, rarely located. Productivity is high, can reach 18 kg from the bush. The fruits are medium-sized, the average weight is up to 3 grams. The color of the berries is close to black. There is a thin wax coating. The tasting score for fresh fruits is 4.3, and for the juice produced from them - 4.7. Berries easily tolerate transportation, suitable for all types of consumption.
The yield of Chernomor is up to 18 kg from the bush, the berries have a pleasant sweet taste
Black Sea for me is the number one variety, absolutely resistant to disease, very sweet, with a wine aroma. Harvest and very beautiful bush with shiny leaves. It will be a decoration of any garden. But there is a drawback: you can not overexpose a mature crop on the bushes, some may crack after heavy rains.lyulik
The best yellow and yellow-green gooseberry varieties for the Moscow region and the Central Black Earth region of Russia
This group of gooseberries is especially loved by summer residents. After all, berries are not only distinguished by taste, but also delight gardeners with their sunny lemon, amber and canary tones. At the same time, caring for plants is no more difficult than for traditional red-green species.
Variety of selection of 2002. The bush is characterized by low branching. Spikes of a single type are found only in the basal part of the branches. Breeders note high frost resistance and resistance to fungi. Branches are prone to lowering under the weight of the fruit. Bush productivity in average values. The berries are emerald yellow, sour-sweet taste with a mass of 5-6 grams. Expert rating - 4.8 points.
The spring tolerates severe frosts well, the weight of large berries reaches 6 g
Culture has existed for almost 45 years. The variety has spikes of medium length in the basal part of the branches. The bush is relatively low, the crown is slightly sprawling. Resistant to fungal infections and drought. Recommended for planting paired with another species for best pollination.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
Fruits have an average weight of 6–7 grams and are considered large. The color is transparent yellow, the shape is elliptical. There is a wax coating on the skin. Berries are able to stay on branches for a long time, without falling and not cracking. Well tolerate transportation. Universal in purpose.
Russian Yellow - medium-prickly variety, large, yellow berries, weighing up to 7 g
The main and advantages of this variety are: unpretentiousness, high productivity, quality of berries. All these advantages are fully true. Gooseberries tolerate hot weather, frosty winters. Not too picky about watering. Resistant to disease. The bush is high-yielding, there are always a lot of ovaries on the branches. The berries are large, in ripe form are yellow in color. Small seeds. And the taste is excellent, very sweet berries. Gooseberries usually have sourness and sometimes strongly acidic fruits. But the "Russian Yellow" gooseberry is very sweet even in an unripe form. Spines on the branches are rare, so collecting gooseberries is quite tolerable. They are mainly located in the root zone of the bush. There are no thorns on young branches.Villa
Self-pollinated shrubs are considered tall, often reaching 1.6 meters. There are a lot of thorns, but this inconvenience is compensated by a bright taste, early fruiting and high productivity. It tolerates low temperatures in the winter and sun rays in the summer. It is grown almost everywhere, except for the cold north.
Fruits weigh 4.5-5 grams. There is some sourness in the honey flavor of the berry. For a long time they remain on the branches without falling and without losing taste. Transportability is excellent.
Altai license plate
The culture is among the varieties of medium early ripening. Crohn is slightly spreading. The thorns are single, weak. Not afraid of moderate frosts and spring thaws. It has a stable immunity to diseases. Breeders note its high productivity. Berries are yellow, sugar-acid. Used in any form.
Altai license plate has a stable immunity to diseases and very beautiful amber berries
Medium-term culture. The crown is tall and spreading. There are many thorns on the branches. Unpretentious to low winter temperatures, can withstand even severe cold up to -300С. But pests and fungi resist poorly. It requires quality care, including pruning and a certain soil composition. Fruiting does not begin until the 3rd year after rooting.
Large fruits weighing up to 6 grams with distinct notes of floral honey. Sugar content up to 17%. This characteristic puts it on a par with sweet varieties and gives a well-deserved right to the title of “amber grapes”. The color of the fruit is golden. The shape is elongated elliptical.
Honey berries have a distinct flavor of flower honey
The variety is the result of long breeding work to cross the crops of Houghton and Bedford yellow. The bush is tall in height and compact in sprawling branches. It is characterized by sufficient winter hardiness and the ability to tolerate good return frosts. It has excellent immune parameters to powdery mildew and anthracnose. The disadvantage is the presence of a large number of sharp spikes. The mass of berries is up to 4.5-5 grams. The color is golden orange. On the palate there is both sweetness and sourness. Productivity is high.
Jubilee has sufficient winter hardiness and high productivity
The best varieties for the Middle Volga, Urals and Siberia
Despite the vast space from the Middle Volga to Siberia, the climate in these regions was largely suitable for growing cold-resistant gooseberry varieties. Moderate winters, a sufficient amount of rain in the season and warm summers are precisely the determining factors that have united such a large territory.
Ural variety Harlequin got a tasting score of 4.8 out of five possible
Among the most popular are the following:
- Senator. The gooseberry certificate was obtained in 1995 at the South Ural Research Institute of Horticulture. The plant is vigorous with an average maturity. During the tests showed all its best advantages: frost resistance, indifference to powdery mildew, the practical absence of thorns. However, it was susceptible to Septoria and some types of pests. The sweet and sour taste of maroon fruits is very pleasant. The average weight is 3.3 grams. Productivity is high. The tasting committee rated the variety at 4.7.
- Prune The plant has thick shoots, few thorns and medium height. Resistant to fungus and many gooseberry insects. The berries are elongated, large, weighing up to 4 grams. On the skin there is a slight velvet coating. Color at the stage of full ripening is close to black. The taste is sweet and sour. From a three-year bush, up to 5 kg of fruits are harvested. The variety is suitable for conservation and fresh consumption.
- Ural emerald. Culture was included in the state register in 2000. The bush has a low growth and slightly spreading crown. Spikes are observed along the entire length of the branches. Easily placed under a snowdrift in regions with moderate winter precipitation. Withstands cold up to -370С. The color of the fruit is deep green. round shape, weight up to 4.5 grams. Experts rate it 4.9. Productivity is average.
- Change. Variety for universal cultivation in areas from the Moscow Region and Kaliningrad to Murmansk and Sakhalin, including the Urals and Siberia. Not recommended only in the foothills of the Caucasus. Product from crossing varieties Green Bottle and Houghton. Thin and small spikes do not cause discomfort to gardeners at all. The bush requires regular pruning, without which the fruits are smaller. The berries have a purple-burgundy hue and a bluish skin. The taste is peculiar and attractive. Tasting score of 4.2 out of five possible. Crop can reach 6-7 kg from the bush.
- Malachite. The variety is popular among summer residents. Exists since 1959. Gooseberry hybrid Phenicia and Black Negus. It took root in almost all climatic zones of Russia. The culture is valued for its high cold resistance, resistance to powdery mildew and immunity to the sawfly. The fruits are oval, slightly resembling a pear in shape. Bright green in color, they taste sour. Weight 4-7 grams. Productivity is small, up to 5 kg per bush.
- Reliable. The hybrid is obtained from European varieties. It has an enviable cold resistance and strong resistance to fungal infections. There are small weak spikes. Berries weigh up to 3 grams, but at the same time sweet with fragrant acidity. Pink colour. The tasting score from experts is 4.0.
- Beryl. Breeding variety 1998. A plant with medium spreading. It shows winter hardiness and resistance to powdery mildew. The fruit is yellowish-green with a thin shell. The average weight is 3.0-3.5 grams. Experts rate it 4.3 out of five.
Photo gallery: gooseberry varieties zoned for the Middle Volga, Urals, Siberia
- Senator is susceptible to Septoria, but it contains a lot of vitamin C
- Prune resistant to fungus and garden pests
- Ural Emerald withstands cold up to -37 degrees
- Smena is a universal variety for growing practically throughout Russia
- Malachite is a hybrid of gooseberries Phenicia and Black Negus with large green berries
- Reliable - one of the record holders for vitamin C
- Beryl is a winter-hardy bush with medium spreading.
The best varieties for Ukraine, Belarus and the south of Russia
These regions are combined into one group for growing gooseberries due to the similar soil composition of the soil in these areas, an almost perfect climate with mild winters and a year-round high solar factor, and a long growing season. All this contributes to the good growth and fruiting of gooseberry crops.
Let's analyze some characteristic varieties.
- Spring. The culture was developed by the Belarusian Research Institute. Zoned not only for Ukraine and Belarus, but also for the Moscow region. The top grade has a compact crown. Prickly branches are noted in the middle range. The bush has a certain cold resistance. The fruits are smooth, lemon yellow. The weight of berries is on average from 3 to 4 grams. The taste is delicate and pleasant. However, when the berries mature, they acquire a mealy flavor. Productivity from one unit to 4.5 kg per bush.
- African. The main advantages of the variety are stable cold resistance, unpretentiousness, resistance to fungus and aphid attacks. Even with minimal care, gardeners are pleased with a full-fledged crop - up to 10 kg from a bush. The gooseberry is medium-sized, moderately sprawling. Branches are not recommended to thicken, and from 3 years of age it is necessary to carry out regular pruning. Berries are dark purple large size. It tastes sweet, slightly resembling black currants.
- Commander Hybrid from African and Chelyabinsk Green. It winters well not only in the south, but also in the temperate climate zone. Resistant to fungal infections, virtually no damage to aphids. Belongs to the group of medium early varieties. Berries begin to ripen in mid-May, and by June, fruiting can reach up to 8 kg from the bush. The variety is appreciated for its exquisite taste with spicy sourness. The mass of one berry is 4–5 grams.
- Kuban. The appearance of the variety was registered in 1997. The bush is sprawling, but not tall. Spikes are observed in the basal part of the shoots. The sweet and sour taste of green fruits was rated 4.4 points. A very productive crop with proper care and timely pruning.
- Belarusian sugar. The culture is mid-early. Harvest on bushes, whose growth does not exceed 1 meter, ripens in mid-July. There are enough thorns. The fruits are large, reaching a mass of 9-10 grams. Color is light green. On the palate there is a pleasant sweetness. By purpose, the variety is universal.
Gooseberry "Commander" is a gooseberry-free gooseberry. In a ripe form, gooseberry is burgundy-brown. Gooseberry itself is sweet, the skin is thin with sourness. This is a frost-resistant, compact and unpretentious plant in care. Usually I only water it. This year it rains - watering also fell off. I freeze the berries, make raw jam, grind with sugar and lemons. In a sokovarka I drive juice out of it for the winter. I add a little sugar to the berries on top of the berries on the berries. Tart juice, very similar to pomegranate.Nagorna
Photo gallery: gooseberry varieties zoned for Ukraine, Belarus and southern Russia
- Spring variety is a superearly culture with a compact crown and yellow round fruits
- Berries of the African variety slightly resemble blackcurrant in taste
- The commander is resistant to fungal diseases and is practically not affected by aphids.
- Kubanets - a very productive variety with proper care and timely pruning
- Belarusian Sugar gives large fruits weighing 9-10 grams
Sweet varieties include gooseberry varieties, in which the sugar content varies between marks from 9.5 to 17%. The second name for such crops is dessert. Among the above species, the sweet ones include Russian yellow, Grushenka, Northern Captain, Honey, Ural Emerald.
To characterize varieties that are not included in this list, the table below will help.
Table: sweet gooseberry varieties and their characteristics
|Date fruit||Maroon. Weight is 15 g.||Winter-hardy, resistant to disease, transportable. Very fruitful. The fruit is large. The spikes are weak.||Late ripening.||The middle strip of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus|
|Black Negus||Dark purple, pear-shaped. Много витамина С.||Зимостойкий, устойчив к болезням, транспортабелен, урожайный.||Острые шипы||Вся территория России, кроме Севера.|
|Авенариус||Красный с прожилками. Масса от 3 до 6 г.||Зимостойкий, устойчив к сферотеке. Урожайный.|
Редкая крона облегчает уход.
|Плодоношение не каждый год.|
Плоды могут растрескаться.
|Украина, Беларусь, Центрально-Черноземный регион|
|Конфетный||Красный. Вес от 6 до 9 г.|
Высокая доля витамина С.
|Зимостойкий, устойчив к сферотеке.Высокоурожайный. Легко переносит засуху.||Не сильно устойчив к антракнозу и мучнистой росе.||Ural, Siberia|
|Красно-славянский||Крупные, вес от 6 до 9 г. Цвет тёмно-красный.||Зимостойкий, устойчив к мучнистой росе, транспортабелен, урожайный.|
|Средняя шиповатость||Центральный, Северо-западный и Волго-Вятский регионы|
Фотогалерея: сладкие сорта крыжовника
- Темно-бордовые ягоды Финика весят до 15 грамм
- Грушевидный плод Черного Негуса содержит много витамина С, до 1000 мг на 100 гр. ягод
- Плоды Авенариуса не транспортабельны, зато очень вкусные
- Сорт Конфетный легко переносит засуху
- Краснославянский плодоносит каждый год и дает отличный урожай
Крупноплодные сорта крыжовника
Крупноплодными считаются сорта с диапазоном массы от 9 до 30 грамм. Как правило, все они имеют шипы средней или слабой степени и хорошо адаптированы к умеренным морозам западной части страны.
Ниже представлена таблица с некоторыми крупноплодными сортами, вес которых не превышает 15 грамм.
Таблица: сорта с крупными ягодами и их характеристики
|Grade||Зимостойкость||Сопротивляемость к болезням||Productivity||Плод||Regions|
|Лимонный исполинский||Yes||Слабая||High||Лимонный, сладкий||Зона умеренного климата|
|Белый триумф||Yes||Восприимчив к сферотеке||High||Зелёно-жёлтый, десертный||The middle strip of Russia|
|Бочоночный||Подмерзают верхушки||Восприимчив к мучнистой росе||High||Светло-зелёный, десертный||Московская область и Центральный регион|
|Шеннон||Yes||Устойчив к сферотеке||Average||Тёмно-красный, сладкий||Украина и Центральная полоса России|
|Варшавский||Yes||Восприимчив к сферотеке||Average||Тёмно-красный, кисло-сладкий||Московская обл., Центрально-Чернозёмный регион|
Кроме вышеупомянутых сортов к крупноплодным относятся Северянин (9 г), Огни Краснодара (9 г), Лада (9–10г), Защитник (до 160 г), Краснославянский (до 10 г), Зелёный Бутылочный (15 г).
Фотогалерея: крупноплодные сорта крыжовника
- Ягоды у этого сорта круглые, крупные и сладкие, Огни Краснодара — сорт популярный не только в Краснодаре
- Ягоды крупные (до 16 г), продолговато-овальные и Я Грушевидные ягоды Зеленого бутылочного сорта созревают в второй половине июля
- Гроссуляр — сорт, почти не имеющий шипов и хорошо переносящий зиму
- Ягоды сорта Лондон имеют размер куриного яйца срдней величины
- Варшавский — сорт для Центрально-чернозёмного региона и Московской области, ягоды сочные, с розоватой мякотью
- Темно-красные плоды Шеннона очень приятны на вкус, кисло-сладкие, с тонкой кожицей
- Белый Триумф считается десертным сортом, ягоды очень светлые, при созревании приобретают жёлтый оттенок
- Лимонный Исполинский — сорт зимостойкий, на своевременно внесенные удобрения реагирует повышением урожая
Некоторые тяжеловесные культуры сильно превосходят эти стандартные размеры крупноплодных ягод. Например, Антагонист вырастает до 40 г, Левеллер — до 45 г. А рекордсменом по весу признан сорт Лондон (54–58 г) – продукт европейской селекции.
Видео: посадка, размножение, уход за крыжовником
У кого-то крыжовник ассоциируется со вкусом винограда, у кого-то — с неприятным ползанием под колючими кустами. А вот у чеховского героя — с уютной деревенской жизнью.
Сидишь на балконе, пьёшь чай, а на пруде уточки плавают, так хорошо… и крыжовник растёт.Антон Павлович Чехов
Так почему бы не обеспечить себе этот комфорт, включая радость от общения с шипастым, но сладким жителем приусадебного участка!
В статье представлены далеко не все сорта. Выбор из культур отечественной и зарубежной селекции чрезвычайно разнообразен: и по окраске плодов, и по размеру ягоды, и по срокам созревания, и по урожайности. Подобрать плодоносящий вид можно под любой регион России, Украины или Беларуси, опираясь на личные предпочтения и геоклиматические особенности. Было бы желание!