Beautiful Lavater: when to plant seeds to enjoy flower beds in summer?
A three-month-old flowering plant of Lavatera (Lavatera trimestris) is one of the species of the family malvaceae. She appeared in the gardens of Europe and Asia in ancient times. Over the past 300 years, as a result of selection, many varieties of this flower have appeared. Strong erect stems of the plant with long lateral branches are covered with bright green leaves and many funnel-shaped flowers. Lavatera fell in love with many thanks to its beauty, unpretentiousness and has become a true decoration of gardens and personal plots.
When to plant Lavater seeds: general terms
Lavatera seeds are not too small and have high germination. Friendly shoots appear during the week. Sowing seeds into the soil should be done when the earth warms up to a temperature of 15 ° C and there is no longer a threat of frost.
Flower, seed box and seeds of annual Lavater
Flowers on plants bloom two months after emergence. Considering the climatic features, the recommendations are as follows:
- In the southern regions with a warm climate, it is necessary to sow the seeds into the ground in early April. Growing lavatera from seeds is the best way for these places.
- In the middle lane, sowing of seeds into the soil is possible in early May, flowers in this case will appear in July. To bring flowering closer, a seedling method is used with planting seeds on seedlings in March.
In some cases, growing with seedlings is preferable based on such considerations: as long as the seedlings grow at home, you can carefully prepare a place for planting it.
The best days for landing in 2019 according to the lunar calendar: table
The theory of the influence of the moon on the rhythms of plant development claims that all activities related to cultures in which we want to develop the aboveground part should be carried out with the growing moon, that is, during periods when the moon is in the first two quarters of the lunar cycle. At the time of the passage of the moon through certain zodiac constellations, its influence either increases or decreases.
Based on the lunar calendar, you can find out when it is best to plant the lavater when grown from seeds.
|Month||Sowing, picking, planting annuals in the ground||Sowing, picking, planting perennials into the ground||Forbidden days|
|February||17, 20, 21, 24, 25||24, 25||19|
|March||10 -16, 19, 20, 23, 24||10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 23, 24, 28, 29||5, 6, 7, 21|
|April||7, 8, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 29, 30||7, 8, 11, 12, 18, 20, 29, 30||4, 5, 6, 19|
|May||1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 26, 27, 28||1, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 31||4, 5, 6, 19|
|June||5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15||1, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 28, 29||2, 3, 4, 17|
What varieties to choose for your garden
When deciding what kind of seeds to purchase, you need to plan exactly how these flowers will look in the garden. It will be a tall trellis, studded with large-sized monochromatic flowers, or a separate group of exotic painted plants, or a multi-colored flower bed with flowers of medium height.
When purchasing seeds, you should familiarize yourself with the description of the variety and pay attention to the height of the stem and the color of the flowers. The rest of the varieties of lavatera are similar to each other. Plants bloom throughout the summer. Despite the fact that each flower lives only a few days, more and more new buds are opening to replace it.
This variety grows up to 90 cm, flowers of bright pink color with a silver coating and bright stripes reach a diameter of 10 cm.
Melange is a cold-resistant and unpretentious variety. The height of the plant can reach 1 m, and flowers up to 10 cm in size can have a color from snow-white and light pink to scarlet.
The name of the Mont Blanc variety is associated with a snowy peak. Plants have a height of up to 90 cm and large white flowers.
Silk and Cashmere
Variety 80 cm high has very large flowers of salmon and bright pink color, collected in racemose inflorescences. Very long sturdy stems of flowers allow you to use them for cutting.
The variety has a height of up to 50 cm and is suitable for creating borders.
At the Novella cultivars, the first elegant delicate openwork flowers bloom early, when it is still low, only 20 cm. Further, it continues to grow to 60 cm.
The Altai selection variety is distinguished by its endurance to adverse conditions. Grows to a height of 60 cm, has bright flowers up to 9 cm.Recent entries In April, I process roses so that no pests encroach on my beauties
5 Japanese plants that take root well in Central Russia
How do I protect seedlings from my curious cats
The variety seduces with a delicate color of its inflorescences.
Plants of the Rubin variety with its low sturdy stems 50 cm high and large up to 10 cm bright red flowers, planted in the form of a compact group, form a spectacular bright bush.
Lavater Thuringian (Lavátera thuringíaca) is another species of plants of the family malvaceae that can decorate the garden and feels good in any climate. This perennial lavater has several spectacular decorative varieties, for example, Barnsley Baby, which grows up to 2 m and is famous for its pale pink flowers.
When preparing seeds, attention should be paid to their age. Good germination is guaranteed for two years, in the third year the ability to germinate is lost by more than 50%. Seed stratification is optional.
The soil for planting Lavater seeds is prepared by mixing in equal parts of garden soil and humus.
When planting on seedlings, it is desirable to produce it in such a way as to exclude the dive stage in the future.
- Prepare containers with drainage holes with a depth of at least 10 cm, cover the bottom with a drainage layer (expanded clay, pebbles).
- Fill the container with prepared soil and pour water.
- Plant seeds no deeper than 1 cm at intervals of 5 cm, then cover with transparent material.
- Periodically remove condensate and moisten the ground as necessary.
- When shoots appear, provide good lighting.
- After a week, remove the shelter, lower the temperature to avoid excessive stretching of the seedlings.
- Pour the prepared soil with warm water, plant the seeds in holes 1 cm deep, sprinkle with earth and cover with a film.
- When the seedlings rise to a height of 5 cm, remove the shelter, water as necessary.
- Weed and loosen the soil in a timely manner.
Throughout the entire period before planting in a permanent place, carefully monitor the state of seedlings: moisten the soil and loosen it in time, ensure uniform illumination. In the stage of 4-6 leaves, seedlings are ready for planting in a permanent place . By the time of planting, the seedlings will be strong enough, but not overgrown.
How to maintain the beauty of the Lavater throughout the summer
Ready seedlings should be planted in a permanent place after the last frost.
Lavater is unpretentious, but on well-fertilized, composting and humus soil, it will reach maximum height and plentiful flowering.
In the final determination of the permanent location, it is advisable to consider the following:
- tall plants will soon need support, since even strong stems do not withstand strong gusts of wind and heavy showers;
- high varieties may eventually lose their leaves and flowers in the lower part of the stem, therefore it is recommended to place lower plants in front of them;
- when planting a perennial variety, remember that at this point the plant will grow for several years, form a voluminous tall bush and it will also need support.
Seedlings should be planted at a distance of 15-25 cm, depending on the variety, with circular groups or three-four-row trellises.
The use of lavaters in landscape design is not limited to flowerpots.
Further care is as follows:
- with a long absence of rainfall, plants should be watered abundantly;
- to exclude deep loosening;
- a month after planting, fertilize with complex fertilizers;
- Tie too spreading plants to the support so that they do not look messy;
- for more abundant flowering, remove faded flowers, preventing seeds from forming;
- fading flowers after rain or watering not only lose their attractiveness, but also damage the leaves, they must be removed on time.
The disadvantages of caring for a tall lavater - the fall of bushes and the careless appearance of the whole composition
Mistakes in leaving:
- lack of support for tall varieties leads to the overwhelming of plants;
- unremoved fruit boxes inhibit the appearance of new flower buds;
- fading flowers after a shower completely lose their beauty.
Due to the fact that the lavater is a fast-growing, very bright plant with many shades, the experimental gardener can transform his garden every year, coloring it differently, like an artist painting with large strokes. To do this, he does not need a lot of work or a lot of time.